9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 9:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive

HMilstein8 Level 1

I moved some Adobe files that were not needed on C: drive to storage drive. I just noticed when I go to Help on top of work space,,,I can not

access the help pages or anything else except ABOUT premiere elements.. Any body know what might have happened?

Howard

• 1. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which files  you moved off you C drive -- but, unless you changed something else or moved a program file, it should affect how the program performs.

Try closing the program and restarting while holding down the Ctrl, Alt and Shift buttons on the left side of your keyboard.

• 2. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
            nealeh Level 5

When moving your files you must have moved something other than just your data files. The easiest cure is to reinstall. I think you had a download version of PRE so find the download file and reinstall. Note the downloaded file can run from wherever you moved it - it does not need to be on C: itself. After install, check you still have all the material from the Additional Content. If you don't then run the Additional Content download again.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
              HMilstein8 Level 1

Hi; before I delete the program and re install again which is in storage;

please tell me (write out) the EXACT names of the FILES for adobe elements

that

must be re-installed. When I first downloaded from adobe there were about 3

big files but it is hard to sort them out on my Storage to know exactly

which

ones must be re installed to make the program contain everything I need.

Thanks for your help

howard

• 4. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Howard, we're still not sure which files you moved.

Were they program files or just project files (eg, video, audio, etc.)?

It would be hard to move the program files accidentally. But if you didn't move them, then reinstalling will do you no good.

• 5. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                  nealeh Level 5

There are four installation files you will have downloaded from Adobe. You run the ones ending in ".exe" from your storage and they will re-install the program files (from the .7z files) for you.

They are:

• PremiereElements_9_ LS15.7z
                  • PremiereElements_9_ LS15.exe
                  • PremiereElements_9_Cont ent_ALL_LS15.7z
                  • PremiereElements_9_Cont ent_ALL_LS15.exe

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                    HMilstein8 Level 1

Thanks for answer. Should I delete full elements program from C: first?

Also,,,,i noticed you wrote elements 9; I have 8 or was that just mistake on

your part?

Howard[?]

• 7. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                      Ted Smith Level 3

Your quote"I moved some Adobe files that were not needed on C: drive to storage drive"

How did you know they were "not needed" Obviously they were!

Looking up their copy date and time in Windows Explorer will tell you which ones you copied. You may have to change WE settings to reveal this.

I think it is better to have all original PE files on C drive and have all media that you edit on another drive . If you want to make a backup of your media and have enough room copy it to the C drive but do not use it from there.

Better still if you have a third drive use that for all project and PE cache files that are produced when you import and edit a project and keep this seperate from the actual media.

• 8. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                        nealeh Level 5

You cannot uninstall a program by just deleting or moving it's program files. First go to Control Panel and look in Uninstall a Program. If you see PRE8 mentioned, run it. If you have been moving program data as well as your projects this may fail, but it's worth a try.

Yes it was a mistake, I'd forgotten you were on 8. The files you should be looking for are:

PremiereElements_8_LS8.7z

PremiereElements_8_LS8.exe

PremiereElements_8_Content_L S8.7z

PremiereElements_8_Content_L S8.exe

You should also install the 8.01 patch file from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 9. Re: Hi..other day moved moved un needed files to storage drive
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several types of files, when using an NLE (Non Linear Editor), like PrE. First, there are the necessary program files, and all Adobe programs really want to see those on the C:\, though the exact Path to them is less important, so long as one has installed the program properly, and set that new Path at that time. An example of this is that ALL of my Adobe programs are on C:\Adobe, and not in the default C:\Program Files\Adobe... I set this at installation.

Next, there are what I would call "Preferences" files, and most of these will be in My Documents\\, or even deeper with C:\Documents & Settings\\\.

Then there are the Assets (the AV, Audio, etc.) files that can be located anywhere, and will be linked through the PREL (Project file). These can be Moved, but one will then need to relink them properly, for the program to find them and use them.

Last, there are the Scratch Disk media files, and these will be the Render files, the CFA, PEK, etc. files. Most can be easily Deleted, and the NLE program will just regenerate them, as needed. One can change the location of these files via Edit>Preferences, though it is not good idea to do any Moving, while working on a Project.

Now, depending on which files you Moved, you might not be able to easily Uninstall the program, as the Uninstaller will want to see the files, where they originally were located. There are Uninstaller utilities, that can do a better job, and will likely be able to survey the system to locate those necessary files.

Knowing exactly which files are necessary is a bit tough. These files and their names and default locations will differ by version, and also by how one installs the program. There are many, and the installation process will locate them where the program is hard-wired to locate them. Moving, Deleting or Renaming is NOT advised, as Ted points out. Troubles will arise. Also, besides the program being coded to see these in particular locations, there are myriad Registry entries, and each would need to be changed in a major Registry edit - not for the amateur, or the feint of heart. With some of the other types of files, things can be a bit easier, as the program will try to help the user locate them, or will regenerate some, as is required. Still, when one has Projects in progress, it is never a good idea to Move things about.

Good luck,

Hunt