3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 11:26 PM by xxael

p2p NetConnection stability

xxael Level 1

Hi everybody,

i developed a p2p application where users can connect to each other via p2p.

For this I use NetConnection and NetStream. But sometimes the connection between the to clients disconnects without any assitance.

I debugged my code and added trace outputs everywhere in the code. But i only get the event of "netstream.closed". So nothing else happend before.

Now my question is can i get more stability to the p2p connection and how could that be done?

I hope this is the right forum.

Thanks in advance

xxael

• 1. Re: p2p NetConnection stability
          xxael Level 1

Is there nobody else who has this problem?

Is there someting like a puffer or timeout which i can specifiy to bring more stability between two clients connected via netConnection?

Can the network variations cause the stream to close?

Thanks in advance

xxael

• 2. Re: p2p NetConnection stability
            Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

by "puffer" i assume you mean a keepalive/ping message.

RTMFP already does this for you automatically.  Cirrus commands its clients to use a keepalive time for P2P connections of 20 seconds (if you're not behind a NAT) or 10 seconds (if you are behind a NAT).

if your P2P connections come up and are working, but then suddenly die without warning, then i can think of a couple possibilities.  perhaps your NetStreams or NetConnections are being garbage collected because you don't have a solid reference to them?  if this is widespread with your users, it's probably not a network issue, but if it's a small subset of your users, it could be the network.

• 3. Re: p2p NetConnection stability
              xxael Level 1

Thanks for the answer,

what do you mean with "solid reference" ? And what can be other possibilties for this effect? if i am on my local maschine i got this effect very rarely or rather not at all.

Thanks in advance

xxael