5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 6:47 AM by ECBowen

matrox mxo2 mini output preview question

Themis_37 Level 1

I'm not sure this is the correct site or section to post this, but if  someone has an answer or can divert me somewhere where I can find an  answer I'd truly appreciate it. I use PPro CS5 and I can also use an LG  27-inch Full HD monitor (the W2753V model) for preview via HDMI. I've  been considering the Matrox MXO2 mini for quite a while now but I'm  reluctant to a purchase because of a note on the I/O hardware's manual, stating that the output monitor  should have 1:1 pixel mapping in order to display at full screen  material that is lower than 1920x1200. The thing is I often work with  720p footage (1280x720 25p) and I wouldn't like to have a monitor that  displays my material at one third of its actual space, surrounded by a large portion of black. Matrox doesn't list a support email and its user forum - stupidly enough - is only for those who already have purchased a product. Anyone here with a similar experience or knowledge on the above is more than welcome to reply or point me to the correct direction.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: matrox mxo2 mini output preview question
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I am not sure of your question here. 1080P material is 1920x1080 btw. Are you wanting to know if scaling 720P material on the LG would be an acceptable full Screen? Your LG should support 720 resolution natively so it should switch modes when you output that material just like a LCD TV does. Was that what you were asking or was it quality of output at that resolution?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: matrox mxo2 mini output preview question
            Themis_37 Level 1

I called LG today on the same matter and as it turns out my screen doesn't have 1:1 pixel mappring. ECBowen, you have a point asking me to clear out what I ask. The way I understand it, my LG screen would display 720p material the same way PPro CS5 would display 720p footage should I choose 1920 project settings: at about the center of the preview monitor, with a large portion of surrounding black. I have a workstation that has Grass Valley's Edius installed with an HDSpark for preview on an external screen, that displays full screen all HD resolutions. That provided, my question would be whether the MXO2 would do the same with my LG screen or at least whether upscaling the material would result in an acceptable result.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: matrox mxo2 mini output preview question

The scaling is based off the current resolution for the monitor.If you set your full screen monitor to 720P resolution then Premiere will output full screen without black to that monitor. If you have the monitor set to 1080P resolution then you will have the black or scaled view. The Matrox MXO2 devices like almost all other I/O devices will tell the Monitor the native resolution that it needs to run when the device initializes based on your output settings for the device. So if you tell the MXO2 to output 720P res then it will output full screen to 720 on that monitor as long as that monitor supports that resolution which all should at this point. The process and output is the same but instead of manually setting the monitor resolution in the OS via the display panel, you are setting it via the I/O device's control panel such as the Matrox tools. The results are the same though.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: matrox mxo2 mini output preview question
                Themis_37 Level 1

Thansk so much, Eric, your info is very helpful indeed. The truth is I was pretty sure the monitor would display all HD material it supports at full screen but there were some dark spots that were misleading. The MXO2 seems like a good choice because it can output on both an HD monitor and a high resolution CRT one, plus it provides calibration tools for both, so it will probably be my next purchase. If you were me, would you go for the Max option that allows for realtime export to H.264 files or you think this can be done just as easily with PPro?

• 5. Re: matrox mxo2 mini output preview question

I have not tested the Max with the new 5.0 tools yet. Max on the previous tools was useful if you were exporting to Blue Ray but really not that useful if you were exporting to a file for web delivery. The Matrox H264 presets for file were to limited for resolution. I will have to see if that changed with the new tools.

Eric

ADK