9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 12:00 PM by nealeh

Video Quality

nivolarama

When i burn a dvd of my clips, they look fine on my computer, but in my 32 inch tv it is very blocky.

What am i doing wrong thanks

• 1. Re: Video Quality
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings preset did you select?

• 2. Re: Video Quality
            nivolarama Level 1

Hi Thanks for the response,

I am transfering from a vhs player int the computer via a usb easycapture device. Initially when i used the capture in elements the audio and video was out of sync.

So now i use the capture program arcsoft Showbiz DVD 2 to capture the video from the vhs player. It saves it as MPEG-1 or MPRG-2, ihave been saving them as MPEG-2 and the only factor i think may be the problem is the greatest frame size it seems to capture at is 720x576.

Elements seems still to have a problem with sync so i them put it into windows movie maker to convert it to DV-AVI (Pal). It then works fine in elements. I can edit fine and there is no sync problem.

When i open a new project i select

PAL-DV-Standard-48kHz

When i go to burn it to dvd my settings are

PAL_Dolby DVD

As for quality i select fit contents to available space, i just realised that i have the slider set to most video.

would the answer be to slide the slider to highest quality

Thanks a million Dylan in ireland

• 3. Re: Video Quality
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Dylan. The challenge is that you're using a USB-connected video capture device to convert your video from VHS. This usually does not work -- at least if you're planning to edit the video in Premiere Elements. Those devices are designed to work pretty much with the software that comes bundled with them only.

The best devices for capturing analog video are DV bridges. The best device for the money is the ADS Pyro AV Link, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

This device -- which connects to your computer by FireWire -- captures to a file format that's perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Video Quality
                nivolarama Level 1

Ok cool i will check that out thanks again

• 5. Re: Video Quality
                  Ted Smith Level 3

But if the file ends up an AVI and looks good on his computer, how could PE tell the difference between this and an AVI file imported from a regular DV tape camera?

I always set for best quality any way.

Files on computers always 'look' better simply because the picture is much smaller.

As an example if you have a wide screen computer monitor, showing a standard def movie in a window that is reduced to one quarter of the screen area, looks exactly as sharp as a full HD 1900x1080 movie in full screen - because the movie 'pixels' are about the same!

You have to stand well back from the 32" TV the same proportional distance you were from the computer monitor to really judge.

• 6. Re: Video Quality
                    nealeh Level 5

While the firewire bridge devices are best for simplicity and quality of VHS conversion, the USB devices can produce some good quality transfers - they may just take a bit of tinkering.

An example:

Before buying a Canopus ADVC, I used Magix 'Rescue your videotapes' v1. Out of the box, quality of video and video/audio sync was rubbish. But in the software I found a 'feature' that, by turning it off, fixed the sync problems.

I also found that the default capture was MPEG. The software actually has a high quality Magix proprietary codec capturing at pretty near DV-AVI specs (approx 11GB per hour). As a bonus I could export to DV-AVI Type 2 - perfect for PRE.

So the EasyCapture should have included software with it. What software is it and what output options does it have?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Video Quality
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>But if the file ends up an AVI and looks good on his computer, how could PE tell the difference between this and an AVI file imported from a regular DV tape camera?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
                      What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0
                      What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

An AVI may contain many things... the trick is to use the RIGHT thing!

You want DV AVI type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

• 8. Re: Video Quality
                        nivolarama Level 1

When i select a better quality it does help, but i can only move the slider across so far before it wont fit o a dvd.

It will only go across about 1/3 of the way. Is ther any way to know how many clips should be on the dvd.

So you would have less on the dvd but better quality.

Is there an average lenght in time that people would have on a dvd, like a 3hour vhs?

thanks

• 9. Re: Video Quality
                          nealeh Level 5

Well quality is a subjective measure. What you may find barely acceptable others may think perfect. Personally, as a rule of thumb, I would limit a single-layer DVD to around two hours, a dual layer around three.

What capture software is it using? You may be seeing quality sliders for a single codec, whereas a different codec may give you much improved quality.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children