3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 4:24 AM by Jay Knobbe

Noctura NH-D14 won't fit

Jay Knobbe Level 1

I thought I did my research but alas, the Noctura NH-D14 won't fit with the G.Skill PI series with the extruded aluminum heat sink on top. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo. Now I'm looking for a suggestion for a cooler to replace the D14 I bought. Was hoping to have this thing up and running by the weekend but looks like it's not to be.

Here is the ram...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335&Tpk=g.skill%20ddr3%20f3-12 800cl7t-6gbpi

Suggestions?

Thank You

• 1. Re: Noctura NH-D14 won't fit
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If it is only the front fan that gets in the way, just mount the fan a few notches higher. Otherwise look at Coolermaster, Noctua, Prolimatech, Scythe or ThermalRight. There are numerous alternatives.

• 2. Re: Noctura NH-D14 won't fit
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have your sitution and am using the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for only $30 it is ideal and check out my (BillG) overclocking on PPBM5  I am using the second optional fan and do have the G.Skill fan installed on my Trident plus Turbulence RAM modules.

• 3. Re: Noctura NH-D14 won't fit
              Jay Knobbe Level 1

Bill, I bought the cooler you recommended

and it fits fine. Thank you. I checked the specs on some of the bigger coolers and none came close.I also entertained buying the CoolerMaste H70 too noisy or the H50. but didn't think blowing warm air into the case was a good idea. For those with tall RAM sticks make sure it all fits. There aren't many air cooled options out there for tall sticks. Thanks Bill.