6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 9:29 PM by HHH_CEO

New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates

HHH_CEO

I've been using Contribute to build my site but it has too many restrictions so i've ventured into learning Dreamweaver CS5.   I created my template in PSD, them imported it into Dreamweaver, the problem is that when I insert -div- tags into the template, it throws everything off.  When I just make those areas -editable regions-  things stay in place.  My question is, do I have to create div tags? Also do I have to create CSS?

Thanks a million!!!

• 1. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
          MurraySummers Level 8

Goodness. Your question implies that you are miles down the road without any wheels on your car!  First you need to know that trying to use DW without good familiarity with HTML and CSS is like swimming uphill.  It's not hard to pick up these two, but does require some study.  You can spend good time acquiring both at http://www.w3schools.com.

Next, you should know that using Photoshop (or Fireworks, or any graphics application) to write your HTML is a very poor way to create a live web page.  That feature is intended ONLY for rapid prototyping for demonstration purposes, and is completely unreliable as a way to create a REAL website.  The code written is poorly constructed, and will 'break' unexpectedly in baffling ways.

So, you are going into this action with two strikes already.

Next, you ask if you have to insert div tags?  Well, the answer is "No" but it depends entirely on what you are trying to accomplish layout-wise.  There is nothing magic about a <div> container - it just is a convenient page element into which you can put other specific page elements - sort of like an HTML baggie.  If adding them to your page breaks your page, it's very likely that this would be caused by adding them improperly.

Finally you ask if you have to create CSS.  That answer is "Yes".  You just can't build anything other than a plain text directory page without CSS anymore.

Anyhow, I'm through with a harsh critique which is really not meant to be harsh.  Why not show us your page so we can provide substantive help?  The best way to do that would be to post a link to the live page.  Can you?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
            HHH_CEO Level 1

It's not harsh at all & your right, I have no prior knowledge of Dreamweaver at all i've actually been intimidated by it.  I have no idea of what i'm doing & most of the tutorials i've watched only confuses me more.  I apologize but I don't know how to set up a "live" page either.  What I want to do is create a more professional look to my online magazine's web site which is completely built in Contribute=> http://HHHMagazine.com the problem with this is i'm restricted on what I can do, so I built a layout in Photoshop CS5, which is below:

samp.jpg

I've gotten as far as making each region editable but just with this template.  I will take a look at the site you suggested & thanks for your feedback, please feel free to give more

• 3. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
              MurraySummers Level 8

You need to consider hiring someone to do this for you.  Otherwise you are going to wind up with a big mess.  Trying to align foreground text with background images is a sure failure waiting to explode (I'm guessing that is what you are thinking here).

I have no prior knowledge of Dreamweaver at all i've actually been intimidated by it.

It's not DW you need to know, it's HTML and CSS. Without that you will wander in the wilderness!  This should be your first stop on the way to enlightenment - http://www.w3schools.com.

completely built in Contribute=> http://HHHMagazine.com

Not bad.  Not good, but not bad either -

http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/check?ucn_uri=http://HHHMagazine.com/&ucn_task=conformance

You will want to start with valid code because there is NO WAY TO PREDICT how invalid code is going to render in any browser.  You're a ways away from that (see the link above).

Seriously - you should consider hiring someone to do this for you.  Is that a possibility?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
                HHH_CEO Level 1

Actually it isn't it's not within my budget & all the designers i've consulted can't seem to grasp my vision of what I want the site to look like.  I don't want it to resemble a blog nor a social networking site & that's all they seem to know how to do & charge a small fortune to do it.

Thanks for your advice

• 5. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
                  MurraySummers Level 8

You just haven't been asking the right people.  Not all developers are like that.  If you keep doing it, you are going to get a site that not only looks like, but behaves like someone's first real site.

• 6. Re: New to Dreamweaver CS5, do I have to insert DIV tags in my templates
                    HHH_CEO Level 1

Well to update you & all that have been reading this post, i've learned how to write CSS codes , although I still have a ways to go, but I have learned the basics.  I've redesigned my template here: 

index.jpg

I've began writing the code for it & this is what I have so far:

screen-capture.png

Like I said, I still have a ways to go but I think i've done great for a beginner, thanks again