22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 1:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?

My Blue Maylee

Hello,

I need more space on my hard drive.

Can I delete the templates for P E and still use the program?

I don't think I've ever used them... What would I be missing?

Many thanks!

May

• 1. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If your hard drive space is that tight, deleting templates isn't likely to make that much difference. They may buy you a gigabyte or two of space.

But, in order to run this program well, you'll need at least 20-30 gigabytes of defragmented space on our C drive. And the less space you have, the more often you'll need to defragment.

But even that assumes you're storing your project and video files to a second or external hard drive. This program, like most intensive program, needs lots of breathing room!

How much free space is on your C or main drive?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
            My Blue Maylee Level 1

I have managed to get 33,4 GB /220GB free on C: by offloading files (mostly music and photos) to an external drive.

What is the general ratio that should ideally be maintained of free/used space (given that new documents, etc come in most everyday..)

You mention defragmenting.. following deleting all these files off my pc, should I defrag?

Actually I'm not storing my projects and files to an external drive (I also use Pro Tools LE) and that sounds like the direction I should go...Excellent suggestion.

I was also wondering if it's possible to run certain programs entirely off an external hard drive?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?

Most programs should run from your C drive (including Premiere Elements). But your project and media can -- and probably should -- be on your second or external drive. I'd very much recommend you do this.

As for your C drive, you are down to pretty much the minimal space I'd recommend operating this drive with. (Windows recommends you keep 15% of your C drive free -- but, as I've said, programs like Premiere Elements commonly need about 20-30 gigs of free space just to open and run.)

And definitely clear off temp files and spyware and defragment every week. Here's, in fact, what I recommend doing regularly in my books:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

• 4. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                My Blue Maylee Level 1

Great info! Thank you.

When you say media, do you mean run songs directly off of a 'permanentely' connected ext. drive? Leaving basically nothing in my music management program on my C:?

(I use mostly WMP and iTunes to sync a phone - if you have other suggestions?)

I never thought I'd have so much stuff that I'd be needing external drives... Do you suggest using one big one for everything running right off the pc? (I have a separate external drive I try to dedicate solely to my sound files for work...)

Thanks again for your quick and useful replies!

• 5. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?

Most files on your computer are relatively small, compared to today's drive. You can probably keep your music on your C drive. (Though I still don't know how large you C drive is, so I can't say.)

Video files are HUGE though. About 1 gig for every four minutes of video. That's why nearly all video editors keep their project and media files on a separate hard drive.

• 6. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                    My Blue Maylee Level 1

I had 14GB of music with WMP and 16GB stored in itunes. When I started offloading data I had only 4GB free!

My C: drive is 220GB.

I still have some video files I can get off the main drive; they are now only for backup.

Thank you again!

• 7. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?

Wow! You've nearly filled a 220 gig C drive!

I'm guessing most of that is photos and music.

Did you know that you can designate locations for your My Documents, My Music and My Pictures folders -- so that, when you move them to your second hard drive, you can access them seamlessly?

Remember, an empty C drive is a happy C drive.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                        My Blue Maylee Level 1

I know! What's on there? I've offloaded most of the music & all the photos. Maybe Outlook archives? AOL desktop?

I don't know how to run an ext drive for those locations seamlessly. How does that work?

I bet C will be much happier with some breathing room, yes...

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                          nealeh Level 5

Right-Click a special folder (My Docs , My Music, My Videos etc... etc ...) and select Properties. In the Location Tab select where you now want Windows to store your files.

NOTE WELL: If you are using an external drive, you must ensure that that drive is always identified by Windows as the same letter.

5.png

• 10. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                            My Blue Maylee Level 1

Thank you for the screen shot and the precision.

Can I 'give' the drive a name or attribute a letter myself? Or does leaving it plugged into the same USB give the drive the same name every time?

I assume I simply need to turn on the external drive every time I boot up the computer, yes?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                              nealeh Level 5

If you plan a start-up work flow (i.e. as you say have the external drive turned on) then you should be fine. There is a more reliable technical solution whereby you assign a drive letter under computer management:

6.png

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                My Blue Maylee Level 1

Okay, quite a bit more fancy but I'll get someone here to walk me through it. In any case the visual really helps!

Now I just need to investigate what is on my system taking up so much room.. Neither AOL backup nor Outlook seem to have that much weight to them...

Onwards and upwards!

And many thanks to both Steve and Neale for the invaluable aid!

May

• 13. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                  nealeh Level 5

Try SpaceSniffer it'sthe most amazing (free) tool for finding out what takes up most space on your drive(s).

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                    My Blue Maylee Level 1

Cool! Will check this out!

Thanks again.

• 15. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                      My Blue Maylee Level 1

An update and thanks again for your help, Steve and Neal.

It turns out there were caches of dupe sound files buried in unexpected folders. And also the tip about just how much space a video file can hog up really helped me clear out some space. I'm up to 72Gb free! When I started I had 3.82GB free.

Using an external drive more regularly. Though I haven't done the fancy hookup that Neal describes yet.

So again, thanks!!

May

• 16. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

May,

Assets can certainly be used from/to external HDD's. As Neale pointed out, it's much better to assign a permanent drive letter in the OS, so that each external is ALWAYS seen with the same drive letter, every time you boot up, or connect that external. This is because of the way that the PrE Project file (PREL) locates things. It uses an absolute Path to link to the Assets, so it needs to see the same drive letter, or will loose the link. The program is nice, in that it will ask, "Where is file _____?" and help you locate it, even if the drive letter has changed. Still, it is much better to do the drive letter assignment in the OS for each external, so you do not have go through the re-linking. I use a handful of FireWire 800 externals, and each has a unique drive letter in the OS of each of my computers. I started with Z:\ and worked backward. Regardless of where I plug in Z:\, it is always seen as Z:\. I keep my Projects, plus all Assets and Scratch Disks on the externals, so I can migrate the Projects between different computers, and they always show up with the same drive letter.

A side note: USB externals are both slow and can lead to some issues, if are editing to/from them. FireWire 400 are much more stable, but I find them too slow for me. I use FW-800's, and eSATA's would be even better. The eSATA externals will be virtually as fast as internal SATA HDD's. If I were buying externals now, I'd opt for the eSATA w/ the eSATA connections in each computer. I happen to be heavily invested in the FW-800's now, but will be replacing those with eSATA soon.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                          My Blue Maylee Level 1

Hi Bill,

I'll take a copy of this mail down to my local computer warehouse store for the eSATA reference. I have both USB and Firewire ext HDs and yes the Firewire was slow moving my sound bites...

Can I funnel info from my old ext drives to the new one via the PC? without having the info stocked on my C: drive... Also is there any problem leaving one of these drives on all day? Do they burn out?

You write, The program is nice, in that it will ask, "Where is file _____?"

Is Assets a program? Or are you referring to the PREL schema here?

Also now that I've moved most of my music off my PC, I have to reauthorize songs that I burned from my own CDs to be able to play them on WMP? This reauthorization doesn't seem to work with FireFox. IE7 isn't linking up to the authorization demand. I guess I have to update that.

Is there anything I'm missing about installing that music authorization plug-in?

Many thanks, May

• 18. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                            nealeh Level 5

With both your external drives connected then yes, you just **copy** from one to the other using Windows Explorer or, preferably, using a file manager capable of a 'robust copy' feature (i.e. it compares the copy with the original). I use xplorer2 Pro - the licensed version (needed for the "robust" feature) has a 21 day trial. You can also find many utilities to compare the contents of two folders. However you do it I strongly recommend that you do not delete those originals before ensuring the accuracy of the copy. Indeed, with the low cost of disk space you could keep that drive for archiving.

Assets is a generic term used to describe all the elements you incorporate in to your project - video clips, audio, still images, and titles.

I'm surprised that you are having a problem with your own CD's needing authorization. There is a 'feature' on some disks that silently installs software to control playing, but I thought that hit the bin some years ago. Are these CD's a few years old? Do you have Autoplay active on your drives?

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What Neale says!

For file comparisons, I use a little utility, DupeFile Finder. Cannot recall if it's freeware, or shareware, as I have had it for years. It does a great job of comparing files, and has never missed for me. You would need both externals hooked up, but they would be, when you Copy the files over to the eSATA.

Also, the USB, or FW-400 will be find for doing the Copy from. The problems with USB's arise, when one tries to edit to/from, and the connection is too slow to keep up with the NLE's read/write needs. FW-400 does not suffer from this, but is just slow - too slow for me. For archiving purposes, both of those connections are just fine.

Do not know the program, that Neale mentions, but if he recommends it, I trust him completely.

As for the authorization of the music, you have lost me here. Is this a DRM thing with iTunes? Other than to do backup copies, and burning to CD's, I have never Moved any iTunes material, and it resides on the C:\ in both of my main computers. Now, I am using an older iTunes version, as it works, and I do not want to update, especially with QT Player being so entwined with iTunes. I am still running QT 7.5.5 and it works perfectly. Maybe this is something new, or something else. I'll follow along, as I am sure that I will learn something from both you and Neale.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                                nealeh Level 5

I've found the details of the protection system I remembered -  Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal

So, Maylee, if you have any CD's with the letters "XCP" printed on the back cover of the jewel case you may well have installed a Sony rootkit without realising. A quick search for remove xcp gives plenty of instructions for testing. If you don't, then I don't know what it could be needing authorisation.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                                  My Blue Maylee Level 1

Am verifying that I actually have a SATA port. I was at a studio today and the engineer showed me - but the plastic housing was colored red (looked like a USB)...?

The album in question is in the basement but it was a mid 2000's purchase. I'll have to try some other mp3s and check out this link later in the week...

Thank you!

May

• 22. Re: Can templates in P E 4 be deleted?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

May,

Many newer computers do have an eSATA controller chip and connector, but almost all older ones do not. One would have to add an eSATA card to allow eSATA use. For some more info on eSATA, take a look at some of the links in this SEARCH.

Good luck,

Hunt