1 2 3 4 Previous Next 120 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 2:27 PM by eutseo

Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

fonduekid Level 1

Dear All,

My first post here.

I am having problem's with the Adobe Reader X integration with Firefox (v3.6.12). I have been using Adobe Reader always and it's been fine.

But I installed the new Adobe Reader X, and it integrates with firefox well, PDF document's open well within the browser.. BUT, I cannot save the PDF document from within the pdf.. I cannot click anywhere on the toolbar.. I cannot click on the pop up toolbar as well (the black one).. When i press F8, I can restore the toolbar or make it disappear.. but that's all I can do..

If I try to save the document from firefox file menu, it works.. but not from within the pdf...

This problem is also seen in IE, as well.

I have tried repairing the install and also uninstall / reinstall adobe reader X. But nothing worked..

For more info., I have been discussing this issue here > http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-3.html

I am looking forward to resolving this soon, because I use / read / work with hundreds and thousands of PDF, and they are extremely essential for my research work.. as some might know, all research articles are in PDF format these days..

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Cheers, fondue

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
          fonduekid Level 1

Update:

I tried reinstalling without the AV, just to be sure... but the problem persists.

I am attaching a screen cap here.. Now I also notice that the toolbar icons are greyed out sometimes...

Capture.JPG

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
            rdrXuser Level 1

Is Firefox your default browser?

For me Firefox is the default browser

and it works perfectly fine.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
              fonduekid Level 1

Yes, firefox is the default browser.

Btw, is there anything more specific than setting a default program (like .pdf files to open in adobe reader?) At the moment, the .pdf files are set to be open in adobe reader.. but I was wondering if there was a more specific setting for opening pdf files within the browser...

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                fonduekid Level 1

The stand alone Adobe Reader is working perfectly fine.. no problems whatsoever...

The problem is only in the browser's (both firefox and IE).

I am wondering what else can it be. I really hope someone or some expert's can shed more light and suggest a fix or solution, asap.

Thanks a lot and cheers.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                  fonduekid Level 1

I just posted about this at the other forum.. anyway, here it is..

Update:

Alright - I went back to Adobe Reader 9.4.1 and everything is fine.

Browser integration is fine, I can click on the toolbars, I can save, print and everything...

Also, the right click menu pop' up right where the right click was done...

So.... it has got to be something with the integration of reader X with  the browser's, isn't it? At least in my case.. though there it seems to  be working well for others...

Hmmm..

Boh.. I don't know.. For now I will stick with 9.4.1 and wait to see if  there are any fixes.. Or else update to X again, and wait for a  fix...?????

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                    fonduekid Level 1

Update

I went through one last uninstall / install process just to see if there was any way I could fix it..

I manually uninstalled 9.4.1 and manually installed 10.. but no change in the issue.. I still cannot click inside the pdf document properly, cannot access the toolbar items, cannot save (even with ctrl+s)... though Ctrl+Shift+S does work....

So, for the moment, I am going back to 9.4.1 and I am going to stick with that..

I have also submitted a bug report to Adobe.. Let's see what they say.

PS., btw, just wondering - how come no expert / adobe tech support personnel has dropped in here, yet???

Thanks a lot and cheers..

I am waiting and looking forward to the fix / solution...

Complete details here > http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-4.html

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                      dby123

I had the same problem.  This worked for me.

Close firefox and open Reader X.  From the edit menu open up the  Preferences.

Click on the "Internet" settings and uncheck the box "Display in Read Mode by default".

As a precaution, go to the "Document" settings and make sure that the box

"Allow documents to hide the menu bar, toolbars, and window controls"

is also unchecked.  Click OK and close Reader X.  Just to make sure,

open Reader X and close it again.  Now the print and save buttons etc...

will be visible in Reader X inside the browser next time you run Firefox.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                        fonduekid Level 1

Thank you very much for your message @ dby123

The problem was not that I could not see the toolbar or the toolbar icons... I could see them fine and well.. but I could not click on them.. for example, I could not click on the save icon to save the PDF document.. and it's the same for all icons in the toolbar...

I can make a right click on the toolbar and chose more icons or lesser icons to show.. but nothing was functional.. nothing could be clicked.. That's the problem.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                          dby123 Level 1

I'm sorry this did not work.  One other problem I found had to do with

Java inside Firefox.  When a pdf opened up in Firefox and I clicked on

the "save as" icon in the Reader X/Firefox window or tab nothing would

happen unless the following box was checked off.

Under Tools in Firefox select the Options.  In the Options under

Content, the "Enable JavaScript" needs to be checked and to the

right of that setting click on the Advanced Tab and the box

"Disable or replace context menus" also needs to be checked.

I found that if the  "Disable or replace context menus" boxed

was not checked off, the "save as icon" in the Reader/browser

window was dead.  And of course, you need Sun java installed.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                            fonduekid Level 1

Thanks again @ dby123

But it did not work.. I tried what you said, but the issue remains the same.

I can see the toolbar / floating toolbar.. I can see the icons.. but I cannot click on them.. They don't respond.. So, basically this latest tip didn't work for me either..

I'm really wondering what could be wrong, because with 9.4.1 everything is just perfect and great..!!

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                              fonduekid Level 1

Hello All,

No new information on this issue, still?

And I'm surprised no expert Adobe tech support personnel have stopped by

I hope this issue can be fixed or it would be nice to know if it's being worked upon..

Thanks and cheers.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                Disha Agarwal Adobe Employee

Hi

1. Are you seeing this problem with all kinds of PDF's or some specific kinds like secure PDF's (with doc open password or printing restrcitions), reader extended PDF's or PDF forms.

2. Are you opening a locally saved PDF by doing a drag drop in the browser or right click and open with IE/FF or directly opening a PDF hosted on the internet?

3. Can you also check the version of the Reader X browser plugin? you could find it at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. Right click -> Properties -> Details

If version is 9.0.x then you could try a clean install of Reader X.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                  fonduekid Level 1

My replies are in Bold.

Thank you for your response and message.

1. Are you seeing this problem with all kinds of PDF's or some specific  kinds like secure PDF's (with doc open password or printing  restrcitions), reader extended PDF's or PDF forms.

This problem is with all kind's of PDF's.

2. Are you opening a locally saved PDF by doing a drag drop in the  browser or right click and open with IE/FF or directly opening a PDF  hosted on the internet?

It doesn't matter. However I do it, I see this problem in Firefox, IE & Google Chrome.

3.  Can you also check the version of the Reader X browser plugin? you  could find it at C:\Program Files\Common  Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. Right click -> Properties  -> Details

If version is 9.0.x then you could try a clean install of Reader X.

I have checked it. It's the latest plug-in (though at the moment, I have gone back to Adobe Reader 9.4.1, as I've mentioned before, because I need the reader to be working fine for my work and daily life. I am just waiting for a fix before I try Adobe Reader X again.

As I've mentioned before, I am seeing this issue ONLY on my Windows 7 Ultimate (Laptop). In the desktop's at work, with Windows XP / Vista, I don't see it. Adobe Reader is working fine, browser integration is fine, the floating tool bar works fine, the right click menu pop' up where the right click is done...I can also save PDF' from the main toolbar at the top and so on...

I really have run out of ideas.... and I am very surprised that no expert support personnel (if at all there is one) have dropped by or said anything or mentioned anything about this.

Anyway.... Cheers.

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                    fonduekid Level 1

To confirm again:

I just tried a clean install (again) of Adobe Reader X (after uninstalling Reader 9.4.1) and I still see the same problem (with all updated plugins etc etc).

Now I have gone back to 9.4.1..... and wait for the fix.

I like Adobe Reader and Products, but this is turning out to be a bit annoying - not because 9.4.1 isn't doing what I want to do, but because I don't know what / where the problem is and no one from Adobe seem' to have any idea!!

Anyway, let' see... Cheers.

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                      fonduekid Level 1

By the way, does anyone, by any chance, think there could be some problem with regard to the adobe shockwave player being installed?

I see that I have both adobe flash player, it's plugin and adobe shockwave player.

Is there any possibility for some conflict between these and adobe reader x' browser integration feature?

I am asking because I don't know about these things but neither could I find any hint on what could be wrong with the browser integration.. and I am just trying to look into all possible aspects...

Later today, I am planning to uninstall the shockwave player and see how it is with the reader x and browser integration.. I'll get back with that soon... meanwhile, if someone has any idea, I'd be happy to hear...

Thanks and cheers.

• 16. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                        ClaireJMB

I also had the same problem as you after upgrading to Reader X.  I  could not get the PDF to save from within my web browser (Firefox  3.6.12).  And I too am running Windows 7 on my notebook (although Home Premium 64-bit, not Ultimate).  I came looking for a solution and found  your thread.  After reading through all the posts, I tried out some of  the suggestions, but none of them worked for me either.  I did, however,  feel more comfortable playing around with some of the preference  settings in reader X after the fact, and ending up finding a solution  just by changing one of my preferences:

>  Open Adobe Reader X.

>  Choose Preferences from the Edit menu.

>  Choose the Internet category.

>  Uncheck Display PDF in browser under Web Browser Options, and click OK.

That fixed it for me.  Hopefully it will work for you too.

P.S.  Although it sounds as if unchecking Display PDF in browser will no longer allow PDF files to open within your web browser, this wasn't the case with me.  I could see no visible change in the way the PDF appeared as it opened in my browser, but the problem was resolved.  It seems as if it only changes the extent to which the file is manipulatable or something like that.  I was just happy that my problem was fixed.

• 17. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                          fonduekid Level 1

Thanks for the message @ Claire

I have tried this, but didn't work.. I've almost tried everything I could think of, reinstalled a million times, tried many more things... and finally just uninstalled and went back to 9.4.1...Wonder what the issue is... or else, I just wait for the next update release or whatever and try installing that... I really don't know..

• 18. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                            ruchi_agrawal_adobe Adobe Employee

Please try disabling Protected Mode of Reader and see if the issue goes away.

The way you can do this is:

With the PDF opened in browser,click Ctrl+K to launch Preferences.

Under the General Category, uncheck the checkbox "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and restart browser.

Please note that this is not a workaround or solution to the problem. Disabling Reader's Protected Mode may be harmful to your computer.

This is just to check if Reader's Protected Mode is causing some problem here.

• 19. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                              fonduekid Level 1

Thanks for your message @ Ruchi

I've checked what you suggested, but no effect. I still have the same problem.

Cheers

• 20. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                Rudi Sherry Adobe Employee

Do you have other Firefox extensions or plugins?  Sometimes there is interference between them.

Also, on your laptop, is your user an administrator or a standard user?

• 21. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                  fonduekid Level 1

Thanks for your message.

Yes, I do have firefox extensions and plugins (and I guess every firefox user has!!), but which one could possibly interfere with the pdf plugin?

I ahve had the same plugin' with Adobe Reader 9.4.1 and it works fine... it's only with Reader X I am seeing this problem.

By the way, I have tried to reinstall / update Adobe Reader to the latest Reader X but the issue remains... and I have tried everything I could possibly do, I guess to figure out what is wrong and for the finding a solution to this.. anyway, I am back t 9.4.1 now...

And yes, I am the administrator!

Thanks again, Cheers.

• 22. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

It's hard to say which other extensions or plug-ins could interfere; sometimes unlikely ones do.

Something about your laptop system is evidently different than the others. Since you are experiencing this in IE and Chrome as well as Firefox, it sounds like a conflict between a Reader setting and a System setting, specifically mouse-clicks. Any extension or setting that allows mouse-clicks to do special tasks, could interfere with the mouse clicks Reader is processing.  Anything that captures window contents, perhaps in the background, might do that.

Most of my questions will be educated guesses at things that I would think are relevant;

Is this a 64-bit or 32-bit Windows 7 OS?

Are you on mutliple displays (laptop almost certainly means "no" but just in case...)?  If so, does this happen on the main display?

Have you turned on any "Ease of Acces" (settings for the visually challenged) settings?

Does this happen with all PDFs or only some?  Try http://acroeng.adobe.com/Test_Files/quickie/SONNETS.pdf

Does this happen with a PDF residing on your disk, dragged into the browser?  (I looked at this forum and your posts on NotebookReview and didn't see it mentioned but I might have missed that)

Can you plug in an external USB mouse and see if that works? (you can tell I'm really reaching here)

• 23. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                      fonduekid Level 1

Thanks again for your message and information:

Let me answer with my replies in bold.

Is this a 64-bit or 32-bit Windows 7 OS?

Windows 7 Ultimate - 32-bit

Are you on mutliple  displays (laptop almost certainly means "no" but just in case...)?  If  so, does this happen on the main display?

No multiple display

Have you turned on any "Ease of Acces" (settings for the visually challenged) settings?

No

Does this happen with all PDFs or only some?  Try http://acroeng.adobe.com/Test_Files/quickie/SONNETS.pdf

Yes, all PDFs

Does  this happen with a PDF residing on your disk, dragged into the  browser?  (I looked at this forum and your posts on NotebookReview and  didn't see it mentioned but I might have missed that)

Well, I did not mention that explicitly, but yes, it happen' to PDFs from the disk, dragged into the browser as well as the PDFs opened from the web, within the browser.

Can you plug in an external USB mouse and see if that works? (you can tell I'm really reaching here)

Yes, the external USB mouse works well (and it always has, ever since I got the laptop!)

Thanks again mate.. as you can see, I'm totally lost and keep trying everyday ever since Adobe Reader X was released!!!!

Cheers

• 24. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

Thanks for the continued work!

Sorry, my last question was not clear, and I'll add some more.

Does the USB mouse work in the PDF in the browser? (this is to try to narrow down if the problem is a trackpad issue).

Does right-click in the PDF content show the normal PDF menu, or do nothing? (to narrow down if it's a toolbar issue or mouse issue)

What version of Adobe Flash do you have? (you mentioned you have it but didn't mention a version)

• 25. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                          fonduekid Level 1

Thanks.

Does the USB mouse work in the PDF in the browser? (this is to try to narrow down if the problem is a trackpad issue).

With Adobe Reader X, the mouse works in the sense that I can scroll up and down with the mouse wheel. And I can click too, but just that the toolbar buttons are greyed out / unrespeponsive to the clicks.

With Adobe Reader 9.4.1 (or earlier), I never had any problem with the mouse or trackpad or whatever!

Does  right-click in the PDF content show the normal PDF menu, or do nothing?  (to narrow down if it's a toolbar issue or mouse issue)

As I'd mentioned before, the right click does bring up a menu window, * but * the window appears at some random place, offset by some distance from the place / point where I made the right click (am I clear here?)

Also, when I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen (with PDF file opened in the browser), the floating toolbar (that new black one) becomes visible but I cannot click on it or anything.....

What version of Adobe Flash do you have? (you mentioned you have it but didn't mention a version)

You mean shockwave flash from Adobe? It's 10.1.102.64

The Adobe Reader plugin in 9.x.x something, but of course it is, because now I keep going back to Adobe Reader 9.4.1. But when I update to Reader X, the Adobe Reader plugin update's too... so I don't think it's the problem with those!! I am not sure, though.

Thanks a lot and cheers.

• 26. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

More questions before I leave for the day:

* Do you use Roaming Profiles?

* Do you have your home directory protected (encrypted or elsewise) in some way?

* If you do Save As from Firefox, whatever directory it defaults into, is that protected or encrypted?

* Are there odd characters (accents or not standard letters/numbers) in the name of that directory or the path to it?

...after that, I'm out of ideas, stumped.

• 27. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                              fonduekid Level 1

Thanks, mate, for your message

More questions before I leave for the day:

I'm sorry I didn't reply before as I'd already left for the day

* Do you use Roaming Profiles?

No

* Do you have your home directory protected (encrypted or elsewise) in some way?

No.

* If you do Save As from Firefox, whatever directory it defaults into, is that protected or encrypted?

No.

* Are there odd characters (accents or not standard letters/numbers) in the name of that directory or the path to it?

No.

...after that, I'm out of ideas, stumped.

I feel worse!!!!

So there... I have absolutely no darn idea what is happening. And I must say (I've said this before), I am really surprised that in a forum like this, there is no pro tech support personnel from Adobe saying a word or two!!! I don't mean I hate Adobe or this place or whatever - I still love Adobe Reader and I have always been a big fan, and I will always be. It's just that it's really annoying and also mysterious because I can't figure out what the problem is, because I can't have any expert opinion from the people who matter, and because I just can't use Adobe Reader X Because in the XP desktop and Vista Desktop / Laptop, it works great and I love the new Adobe Reader.. I'm just disappointed I am not able to make it work in my laptop with Win 7 Ultimate!!

Anyway... 9.4.1 is still there, for now, living as a king..

Thanks again and cheers.

• 28. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

Um... you are talking to Adobe... if Adobe tech support can't answer a pdf-in-browser question, they go to the first level devs, and if the devs can't answer then they go to me.  Believe me, I'm trying to figure out what it might be; I've been looking at the sources as well. I'll be talking to other devs as well.

• 29. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                  fonduekid Level 1

LOL.. I'm sure you did a facepalm on my post there, didn't you? @ browserpdfman

Anyway, sincere thanks for your continued support and I'm waiting to figure out (some how) what could be the issue.

Let's see. Thanks again and Cheers.

• 30. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

I have to admit I was chuckling as I was crafting the reply

Still asking around, nothing yet.  This is a toughie. I've characterized it as this to my fellow devs: "PDF displays fine in browsers, but all tools on toolbars and HUD are disabled. Command-keys appear to work.  Right-clicking in page content shows context menu but not near mouse".  Does that summarize it fairly well?

The context-menu showing up in odd places doesn't sound, to me, like it's related to the lack of toolbars but until we get to the bottom of this who knows?

Sorry to keep asking more and more questions...

For any one page, when you right-click in various places on the PDF, does it look like it's trying to put the menu the same distance and direction from the mouse each time, if it doesn't hit the edge of the screen?  That is, if you click somewhere, is the menu always, say, 100 pixels to the right and 200 pixels up from the mouse... or does it appear to a really random place?

• 31. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                      fonduekid Level 1

Still asking around, nothing yet.  This is a toughie. I've  characterized it as this to my fellow devs: "PDF displays fine in  browsers, but all tools on toolbars and HUD are disabled. Command-keys  appear to work.  Right-clicking in page content shows context menu but  not near mouse".  Does that summarize it fairly well?

That is pretty much to it. (by the way, what do you mean exactly by command-keys?)

The  context-menu showing up in odd places doesn't sound, to me, like it's  related to the lack of toolbars but until we get to the bottom of this  who knows?

I agree.

Sorry to keep asking more and more questions...

For  any one page, when you right-click in various places on the PDF, does  it look like it's trying to put the menu the same distance and direction  from the mouse each time, if it doesn't hit the edge of the screen?   That is, if you click somewhere, is the menu always, say, 100 pixels to  the right and 200 pixels up from the mouse... or does it appear to a  really random place?

Well.. for this I have to say, most of the time, yes, it is like that. It pop' up at a fixed distance from where the right click was made. But sometimes I did notice it appears at a random place - now I don't know if this was because I was too close to the edge of the browser screen where I did the right click.

Btw, have you seen one another thread, with another user having the same / similar issue? Now I can't figure out where it went, but it is here in this forum > this just to let you know I'm not the only one, but of course, as I've said before, it doesn't seem to be a common bug as well. Looks more and more like it's specific to me (Poor me!!!).

Anyway, I'm here for another couple of hour' before I leave for the day..

Thanks a lot and cheers.

• 32. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                        TravelingAnn Level 1

To dby123

Your solution seems to have resolved my problem - thanks!

• 33. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                          fonduekid Level 1

Did you have the same problem as I am having?

I'm asking just to know if this was the same issue fixed with dby's suggestion or was it something else resolved with dby's suggestion.

Also, because I saw somewhere, that this issue (the same as mine) was fixed with a few simple step' and setting' changes.. though it didn't work for me..

Anyway.. Good for you, though. Cheers

• 34. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                            TravelingAnn Level 1

Similar but not exactly the same.

• 35. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

@fonduekid

There is some discussion here about the toolbars, and the thought is that Reader X is processing the mouse location in the wrong place; that means that when you click on the toolbars, Reader X thinks you're clicking somewhere else.

Then he looked closely at your picture and your icons don't match those we have!  DId you have a beta or prerelease version of Reader or Acrobat X?  That might be being loaded in the browser, and there could have been issues that were fixed a while ago.

Launch Reader X outside the browser and go to Preferences -> Internet.  There is a path showing underneath "Display PDF in Browser" (I'd show pictures but I'm sending this from my mac and it's different).  Is it the path to what you think it is?

• 36. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                                fonduekid Level 1

Thank you very much once again for your message.

Then he looked closely at your picture and your icons don't match  those we have!  DId you have a beta or prerelease version of Reader or  Acrobat X?  That might be being loaded in the browser, and there could  have been issues that were fixed a while ago.

Nope. It was not a beta release (and I don't use Acrobat, it's only the Reader). [I never use / install beta' releases of any software, as personal habit and rule]

Launch  Reader X outside the browser and go to Preferences -> Internet.   There is a path showing underneath "Display PDF in Browser" (I'd show  pictures but I'm sending this from my mac and it's different).  Is it  the path to what you think it is?

Well.. the path is fine and it is as it should be. These were among the first few things I checked, when I started seeing this problem.

Btw, I just abother user "reb1", saying he has some issues with Reader X isn't working for him / her too, in any browser. I just thought I'll make a note of this here. Link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-5.html

Cheers.

• 37. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                                  TravelingAnn Level 1

Adobe Toolbar.JPG

Interesting comment that fonduekid's toolbar does not match what you expected to see. A snip of mine attached, which is very much like fonduekid's.

• 38. Re: Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem
                                                                                    fonduekid Level 1

That IS true... I was thinking about this but then forgot to write about this in my previous reply.

So yes, @ browserpdfman, what exactly do you mean by my toolbar icon's not matching with your's? Because as far as I have seen around, I have the same tool bar and icon's as what other' have (and I am talking about the full, final Reader X release).

Also, as it very clear, for TravellingAnn all icons are functioning, whereas for me, they are all greyed out....

Thanks and cheers.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next