7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2006 2:27 PM by Newsgroup_User

run a handler in other button

Level 7
      Hello:

I have two buttons each one have a diferent handler.

button1 handler1
      button2 handler2

How can I call (for example) to the button2 to execute the handler2 click
      on button1?

thank you

• 1. Re: run a handler in other button
          Level 7
          > How can I call (for example) to the button2 to execute the handler2 click
          > on button1?

Check the docs for 'sendSprite' and 'sendAllSprites'
          • 2. Re: run a handler in other button
            Level 7
            > I have two buttons each one have a diferent handler.
            >
            > button1 handler1
            > button2 handler2
            >
            > How can I call (for example) to the button2 to execute the handler2
            click
            > on button1?

You can also just call a handler on another sprite directly. Like, say
            you've got the following code on sprite 2:

on mouseUp me
            <do some stuff>
            end

On sprite 1, you can activate sprite 2's code just by doing the following:

on mouseUp me
            sprite(2).mouseUp()
            end

This simulates a mouseUp event on the 2nd sprite, causing it to <do some
            stuff> just as if you'd clicked on sprite 2 directly. You can do the same
            with custom handlers. Any handler on a sprite can be called in this way.

• 3. run a handler in other button
              kyleg
              see if this is what you want

http://www.foreveryoursmedia.com/directorshowcase/worksinprogress/TriggerHandlerInAnotherS prite.dcr

if so go here and save "target as" on the link to download and get the DIR file for the source (link with the bullet point)

http://www.foreveryoursmedia.com/directorshowcase/worksinprogress/test.htm

let me know if it helps

regards
              • 4. Re: run a handler in other button
                kyleg Level 1
                Darrel,

I never heard of doing it that way .....but it works

pretty cool

so Anne, for that last example, it looks like it can go either way

--on mouseUp
                -- sendsprite (1, #beepsound)--activates the handler "beepsound" that belongs to a beep behavior attached to sprite 1
                --end

on mouseup
                sprite(1).beepsound()
                end
                • 5. Re: run a handler in other button
                  Level 7
                  > I never heard of doing it that way .....but it works
                  >
                  > pretty cool

Yeah, I think the method I use is newer code, in that you couldn't do it in
                  earlier versions. Back before they added Dot Syntax, I think sendSprite was
                  the only way to do this. I like my method though, as it's usually less
                  typing, and easier to read, too.

• 6. Re: run a handler in other button
                    Level 7
                    > I like my method though, as it's usually less
                    > typing, and easier to read, too.

It will provoke an error if the handler you're trying to call doesn't
                    exist within the scope of the sprite you're calling, whereas
                    'sendSprite' won't
                    • 7. Re: run a handler in other button
                      Level 7
                      > It will provoke an error if the handler you're trying to call doesn't
                      > exist within the scope of the sprite you're calling, whereas
                      > 'sendSprite' won't

Well, that's true. But whenever I have a need to use this trick, the sprite
                      being called pretty much always has the handler on it, so I don't usually
                      run into that. I can see where you'd maybe need to sendSprite instead, like
                      if you were choosing a sprite at random to make it do something, and some
                      sprites did and did not have the handler you were calling or something, but
                      it seems to me it's just more efficient to make sure you're only sending
                      commands to sprites that have the appropriate handler, rather than send out
                      a signal and hope that something can understand it.

Also easier to debug. If you send to the wrong sprite in my method, you get
                      a nice error message telling you so. Send to the wrong sprite with a
                      sendSprite, and - well, nothing happens, so it's sometimes harder to figure
                      out what exactly happened (or didn't happen). Error messages aren't always
                      bad things.