4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 9:22 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Memory set up for CS5

Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi all,

I've just got a new PC with CS5. I had put multiprocessing on but I think everything else was in default.

It was rendering well until a particularly large comp threw uop this error message while rendering:

Unable to allocate 0.063MB of memory. Either reduce memory required for rendering this frame or install more RAM. (12803/object or shadow fragment) For more information see adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

I had a quick look through these pages and although I didn't fully understand it, it seemed to indicate that AE needs a certain ammount of RAM to render a certain frame - not that it would just take longer as I would have imagined.

Does this mean I would need to simplify my comp? It would be hard as it was a lot of ojects with shadows.

I'm hoping the Preferences/memory page is not optimised for the PC. Could anyone give me some advise on what to change or how to get around this?

System:

Xeon X5570 @ 2.93GHz

16 cores

12GB RAM

running Win 7 64

Preferences/Memory is set to:

RAM reserved for other apps 3GB

RAM available for AE 9GB

Render Multiple Frames on

INstalled cores 16

CPUs reserved for other apps 8

RAM Allocation per BGND CPU 0.75GB

Actual CPUs that will be used 8

Any ideas what I should change here?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Memory set up for CS5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are using way too many cores.... Even for "light" comps, 8 cores with only 12GB is not really a good way too work. You need a lot more RAM. Set the render instances to 3 or 4 at most in your current environment.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Memory set up for CS5
            Dan Jacobsen Level 1

So it sounds like a lot of cores will be redundant.

Would it be good idea to throw more RAM in then? I mean cost effeciant?

How much RAM per core should I consider, and how many of my cores should I aim to use?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Memory set up for CS5
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes; buy more RAM.

Try these recommended settings.

• 4. Re: Memory set up for CS5
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> How much RAM per core should I consider, and how many of my cores should I aim to use?

It depends on what kind of work you're doing and whether the rest of your system is powerful enough to not introduce other bottlenecks.

A good rule of thumb is to have 3-4GB installed per core, and then only assign 2/3 to 3/4 of that to After Effects. I have 24GB installed in my hyperthreaded quad-core computer, which has 8 processors counting the virtual processors created by hyperthreading. I leave 2 processors and 6GB for other applications, leaving 6 processors and 18GB for After Effects. This works well for me when I'm working on 2K RED frames. I move to using only 4 processors when I'm using 4K frames.

Follow the link that Szalam gave. It has our current recommendations for starting points---but they're still just starting points.

BTW, regarding the bottlenecks that I mentioned at the top of this response: If you've got a lot of processors, you need to make sure that you've got fast hard disks that can feed them with input (source files) and offload their output (rendered and encoded frames). I see way too many people with screamingly powerful computers that are bogged down trying to push and pull data through tiny I/O pipes.