9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 7:58 PM by BendigoTelco

Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac

TPub

This isn't a PC vs Mac question.  I have both PCs (Win 7) and Macs (Snow Leopard).  Just wondering if there is any advantage to buying the PC version or Mac version of PP CS5 if considering the software only?  Any different  features on one version or the other?  Any stabilityy/bug issues using one or the other?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There exists a list of features missing in the MAC version. Do a search here to see what they are. The missing transitions and effects is around 50, but it is doubtful you will really miss them. They are pretty esoteric.

Can't tell you about stability issues since I simply do not know. I only know that similarly equipped MAC's are about 2 times slower than PC's (and twice as expensive BTW), but that is caused by the OS, not so much by CS5.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are several features that are available only with the Windows version. In the documentation, these features are flagged with the string '(Windows only)', so this search for that string brings them all up.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
              Bob Ramage Level 1

You won't use any of the missing features, so I wouldn't worry about it. As for similarly equipped PCs being twice as fast, that is nonsense. PCs are faster at games and some graphics applications, but not to a large extent. Macs are also five times more stable, according to recent testing. Macs may be initially slightly more expensive, but they also hold their value well, and so when sold will be worth something. PCs end up being recycled or consigned to the pile of junk in the garage.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                Harm Millaard Level 7

AME export of the same timeline with CS5 takes around 42 minutes on a PC. On a similarly equipped MAC (same CPU, same amount of memory, same video card, similar disk setup) the MAC takes 75 minutes. Look at the test results posted by Eric Bowen. These differences are huge.

The claim the MAC's are more stable is hard to believe. Show me the link to that report, because I have never had any stability issues on a PC and given the number of posts about stability on a MAC, even though there are only a few MAC users in comparison to all the PC users would lead me to the conclusion that MAC's are not really stable.

If one has some expertise it is no problem to have a very stable and reliable system. Problems with stability start to appear due to OE in almost all cases.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                  hhansard Level 1

It depends on what you are going to do with PP.  If you working with large frames, complex transitions, etc that benefit from GPU support, go PC.  Same for some other technologies, e.x. BluRay.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                    karlkryxx

Todd,

Is that list of missing features for the Mac version of PPro CS5 still current, or has it been updated in the newer versions? Or are there any plans for including these features in future upgrades of CS5?

Do you have any idea why these features are not included? I'd love to start using the PPro CS5 on Mac, but I am worried about some of the missing features, that are quite useful, eg. Camera Blur, Ghosting, Color Replace etc...

thanks

karl

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is that list of missing features for the Mac version of PPro CS5 still current, or has it been updated in the newer versions?

What is in the Help document should be current. (Sometimes you need to read the comments on a given page to see some updated information.)

Or are there any plans for including these features in future upgrades of CS5?

If you want to see something added or changed, submit a feature request.

Do you have any idea why these features are not included?

Premiere Pro came back to Mac OS only a couple of versions ago. At that time, porting some features over to the new platform was considered to be not quite worth it because the features weren't much used, anyway. In many cases, the effects and features that are on Windows only have alternatives that are available on Mac OS. Much of what didn't come over to Mac OS were obsolete effects; we need to keep them around so that projects created with them can still work in the new version, but in many cases there wasn't much point in rewriting them for a new platform.

I'd love to start using the PPro CS5 on Mac, but I am worried about some of the missing features, that are quite useful, eg. Camera Blur, Ghosting, Color Replace etc...

As I said, there are alternatives---usually superior alternatives---that are available on Mac OS. For example, the Change Color and Change To Color effects are available on both platforms, so the lack of the Color Replace effect shouldn't be much concern.

But, again, if you want to see something added or changed, submit a feature request.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                        karlkryxx Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for your reply!

All the best,

K.

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:55:25 -0700

To: kryxx@hotmail.com

Subject: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac

Is that list of missing features for the Mac version of PPro CS5

still current, or has it been updated in the newer versions?

What is in the Help document should be current. (Sometimes you need to read the comments on a given page to see some updated information.)

Or are

there any plans for including these features in future upgrades of CS5?

If you want to see something added or changed, http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

Do

you have any idea why these features are not included?

Premiere Pro came back to Mac OS only a couple of versions ago. At that time, porting some features over to the new platform was considered to be not quite worth it because the features weren't much used, anyway. In many cases, the effects and features that are on Windows only have alternatives that are available on Mac OS. Much of what didn't come over to Mac OS were obsolete effects; we need to keep them around so that projects created with them can still work in the new version, but in many cases there wasn't much point in reqriting them for a new platform.

I'd love to

start using the PPro CS5 on Mac, but I am worried about some of the

missing features, that are quite useful, eg. Camera Blur, Ghosting,

Color Replace etc...

As I said, there are alternatives-usually superior alternatives-that are available on Mac OS. For example, the http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS5C347E48-575E-469b-852C-74494022A4AFa.h tml and http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSC924856D-FA9A-41c1-A930-966D90CD245Fa.h tml effects are available on both platforms, so the lack of the Color Replace effect shouldn't be much concern.

But, again, if you want to see something added or changed, http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

>

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 features - PC vs Mac
                          BendigoTelco

Thanks, I just didn't know where to start searching