3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 11:56 AM by shooternz

Purple vs Blue

Woo00f102261

Not sure if this is right group to ask this question but here goes:    When I record something that has the color of Purple it always plays back as Blue.  I used florescent lights and then I tried regular lights and still cannot get the Purple to show as purple. I can edit the hue in PP CS5 but it will change all the other colors while changing the blue to purple.  Is there an easy fox for this?   I just want the purple to play back as purple and not blue.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Purple vs Blue
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

When you film do you set the up white balance manually/accurately?

Auto white balance is notoriously inaccurate - especially under flourescents..

• 2. Re: Purple vs Blue
            Jim_Simon Level 8

This is a very common problem with certain colors.  The NTSC color gamut simply can't reproduce them all.  So you get stuck with the closest color it can reproduce, with certain shades of purple coming out as blue.  The ATSC color gamut for HD is wider, but still does not include every color the human eye can see.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Purple vs Blue
              shooternz Level 6

The blue /purple thing is very common and can often be seen well displayed in color bar pluges.

You maybe "seeing" it from the camera, the monitor or a combination.

My suggestion to you is that you may be able to get a purple result by using the secondary color correction filters in PPRO.  These are very good and work well.

FWIW: purple and blue are very much in the eye of the beholder.  For years I worked a lot on Cadbury products.  They have their own purple /blue and it was an enormous effort to get everyone to agree exactly what it was.  You can not use a Pantone chart to match to a RGB device such as a monitor so it became  an eyeometer type thing

1 person found this helpful