4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 10:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Jerky output with PE9 using XviD 1.2.2

StefanKnut

Hi,

I'm a long time user of Corel's Videostudio PRO X3, but I have now converted to Primiere Elements 9.

Need some help. Been searching the forum but haven't found anything useful to my problem.

I have a Canon Powershot camera recording in .MOV H.264 1280x720px and 23.976 fps.

Exporting (sharing) those clips from PE9 works fine if I chose MPG, MOV or WMV, but when trying to export (share) as .AVI and using the codec XviD (ver 1.2.2) the output is very jerky.

See the following clip that I uploaded to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7VHh_OBZc

I rendered this clip on two different machines and it seems like on my i7 950 multi core CPU machine the result is worse compared to my old single-core AMD machine. I don't know if this single/multi-core CPU has anything to do with this.

Anyway, now using:

INTEL CORE I7 950 3.06GHZ 8MB S-1366 and 6 GB RAM

GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 460 OC 1 GB

INTEL X25-M 2.5" SSD disc

Any ideas what to do?

//Stefan

• 1. Re: Jerky output with PE9 using XviD 1.2.2
          nealeh Level 5

PRE and DivX / Xvid don't seeem to work well together. You might like to try PRE's H.264 codec.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Jerky output with PE9 using XviD 1.2.2
            StefanKnut Level 1

I exported the avi uncompressed and then used VirtualDub & Lame to create a good looking XviD. Guess that's the workaround I must use. Works fine, though.

//Stefan

• 3. Re: Jerky output with PE9 using XviD 1.2.2
              nealeh Level 5

Thanks for posting back and sharing your workaround solution. I'm sure it will be of use to other posters with DivX or Xvid problems.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Jerky output with PE9 using XviD 1.2.2
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stefan,

I have never been able to get any Adobe NLE (Non Linear Editor) to Export with the Xvid CODEC - crashes each one that I have. However, with the DivX CODEC installed, I can get a good, direct DivX Export/Share. Xvid is the open-source version of DivX, but just does not seem to work with Adobe apps.?

Now, for editing either Xvid, or DivX, Adobe programs do NOT do well, but those are delivery-only streams, and are not really meant to be edited.

To test a simple workflow (no Export to intermediate format/CODEC, and then compression in another program), download the DivX CODEC (that is free, and it's only the stand-alone Pro encoder that costs $), install it, and then choose MS AVI and the DivX CODEC from the Advanced>Compressor drop-down.

Good luck,

Hunt