27 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2011 5:40 PM by JimHess-ra2Osl

Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility

johnlewiseye

Hello group, this is my 1st post  -

I'm one of the, perhaps few, users still running Photoshop CS3. So far it's continued to serve me well.

My question is whether Camera Raw 6.3 might be compatible with Photoshop CS3 when it is released. I've downloaded and installed it but couldn't access the RAW files from a neat little Canon S95 I recently picked up.

I'm guessing that in order to use ACR for these (and the newer camera RAW files) I'm going to need to update to CS 5. I downloaded the 6.3 DNG converter as intermediate work-around.

If ACR 6.3 will only be compatible with CS5, it seems a bit of a shame because, (in essence) a newer camera ends up costing that much more.

Thanks for any info or feedback anyone can share.

John

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
          JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

It might seem to be a shame, but that's the reality.  When a new version of Photoshop is released, ALL support for the previous version is terminated.  And that includes any updates for Camera Raw.  You have downloaded the DNG converter.  That is your remedy for this situation.  I still use Photoshop CS3, but I also use it in conjunction with Lightroom.  Since most of my postprocessing is completed in Lightroom now, Photoshop CS3 provides me with all I need as far as Photoshop is concerned.

It won't do any good to complain about no updates.  This has been a long-standing policy with Adobe that probably will never change.  You are either going to have to upgrade your Photoshop,   add  Lightroom to your workflow, or purchase Photoshop Elements.  Otherwise, the DNG converter is your only alternative.  I must say that Camera Raw has really matured since Photoshop CS3.  If you don't upgrade you are missing out on a lot of superb new features.  Just be aware that Photoshop Elements does not have all of the Camera Raw controls that you have in Photoshop or in Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
            johnlewiseye Level 1

Thanks James - all true. Was just hoping against hope! DNG isn't a bad route at all in the meantime.

Regards,

John

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

JimHess wrote:

It won't do any good to complain about no updates.  This has been a long-standing policy with Adobe that probably will never change.

Just to be clear, this "policy" is not only a marketing ploy to get people to upgrade, there are legitimate technical reasons why updating old code or trying to make the current version of Camera Raw to be able to run in older versions of Photoshop isn't a really great idea...Adobe offers free upgrades for new cameras and bug fixes for the version of Photoshop that is currently shipping...and that runs 3-4 free upgrades/year. Yes that does tend to "encourage" people to stay current...but the free DNG Converter _IS_ updated and will produce DNG files that can be opened all the way back to Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw 2.4. So, Adobe, at no charge, provides backwards compatibility even if the main ACR plug-in won't run in earlier versions of Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                sonsteby

I am having a similar problem. I have a Nikon D90 and shoot in NEF files only. I have PS3 installed on my laptop and I can't open my NEF files in PS3 anymore. I have downloaded the Adobe DNG converter but when I open the converter and attempt to select the folder where I keep my NEF files, there are no files shown. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help!

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

sonsteby wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I have a Nikon D90 and shoot in NEF files only. I have PS3 installed on my laptop and I can't open my NEF files in PS3 anymore. I have downloaded the Adobe DNG converter but when I open the converter and attempt to select the folder where I keep my NEF files, there are no files shown. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help!

There are several technical difficulties with your post that make it difficult to understand...

PS3?  Do you mean PS CS3?

You should be able to open D90 NEF files directly with Photoshop CS3's Camera Raw plug-in version 4.6.  If you can't, I suggest Camera Raw is not up to date, and you need to visit this page to get the latest (I'm reading between the lines that you have Windows, not OSX):

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4040

As far as the DNG converter...

When you say "there are no files shown" - there aren't supposed to be any.  You're selecting the FOLDER with that dialog.  Just go ahead with the process, you'll find it will convert your files.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                    Level 4

sonsteby wrote:

…but when I open the converter and attempt to select the folder where I keep my NEF files, there are no files shown. Am I missing something?

Are you using the latest version of the DNG Converter, namely DNG Converter 6.4?

You don't mention your platform, but if you are on a Mac, you should know that the DNG Converter only works on folders through the Open command in the File menu, not on individual files.  You can however, drop the icon(s) of the file(s onto the icon of the DNG Converter in the Finder or the Dock.

However, your camera should be supported directly in ACR 4.6 hosted by Photoshop CS3 without the need for the DNG Converter.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                      Hudechrome Level 2

You say "any more" This can mean many things, so be more specific, as Noel and Tai asked. When you do, please describe any changes that may have been taken on the computer which would indicate why the "any more" part is happening.

If you are on a Windows platform , which one; has it been changed in any way? Also, open the folder in Windows Explorer to see if the files are there.You should see at least generic icons for both .nef and .xmp.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                        sonsteby Level 1

Noel,

Thank you for your input with my little technical information. I have CS3

and am on a PC using Windows. I currently have Camera Raw plugin of 4.1 and

any time I try to open a NEF file it says, "Could not complete my request

because it is not the right document". I will try to download the Camera Raw

4.6 again. It hasn't worked previously, but I can't tell you why because I

don't remember the errors it was giving me. I have been trying to find the

download instructions because apparently I am missing something.

If I was to just use the Adobe DNG converter, the problem I am having is

that when I "Select Folder" and choose the folder with all my NEF files, the

"Convert" button is grayed out and I can't convert anything.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                          Hudechrome Level 2

I have the D90 as well and purchased it while using CS3. ACR 4.6 works perfectly. I still have it on CS3 using XP as a dual boot option. 4.1 will not work.

When you install 4.6, have you removed 4.1 first? You must do this to get it to see the correct version.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Let's concentrate on getting ACR 4.6 installed for you first.  Then if that just can't be accomplished we'll worry about the DNG converter issues.

Honestly, I don't remember any requirement to remove 4.1 first - that's not that straightforward to do - but if Lawrence says it needs to be done maybe he's seen exactly the trouble you're having.

What I'd do first is just try the installer for Camera Raw 4.6 and see what it says.

If you DO want to try to remove Camera Raw 4.1 first, here's where you'll find the plug-in file:

On a 64 bit Windows system:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

On a 32 bit Windows system:

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

You should NOT find any other Camera Raw.8bi files on your system, unless you have a different version of Photoshop installed.  You can do an exhaustive search by running a privilege- CMD window elevated, then typing the following command:

DIR "C:\Camera Raw.8bi" /s

-Noel

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                              Hudechrome Level 2

I did that and kept the earlier one where I could find it later, on the desk top. AFAIK, this is true up to 6.3, as 6.4 has upgraded it's installation process.

I just checked CS3 on XP and only one Camera Raw file exists. It's also true for CS5 on XP. Finally, I checked CS5 on Win7 64 and there is also only one file there, indicating that the installation removed the earlier one.

If I am wrong, why do I only see one file there? Especially on XP, where did the earlier one(s) go?

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The installation should overwrite the previous one because the file is named the same and is in the same location, but sometimes people put them in other places that Photoshop finds, too, so removing all old versions can sometimes fix things if there is more than one installed that PS is finding.

• 13. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                  sonsteby Level 1

Noel,

I am not sure if this is a problem, but I never had a Camera Raw 4.1 plugin

when I went to go remove it. Also, my c: file looks like this:

*c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File

Formats\Camera Raw.8bi* - this is with the download I just did for Camera

Raw 4.6.

When I look at my plugins in Photoshop for Camera Raw, it states that I have

4.1, but there is no actual file for it in my c:. I tried to do the CMD

search that you mentioned, but the message that came was "Windows cannot

find "DIR". Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again".

• 14. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                    sonsteby Level 1

Noel,

Because I had this installed on my laptop and I wasn't completely aware of

the version, I was just told later that it was CS3. When I open up my Adobe

Photoshop CS it lists that I have Version 8.0. Is this indeed CS3 then?

• 15. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm not sure why your Windows system would not be able to find the built-in command DIR.  That may bode poorly for the health of your system.  If it had run, you would likely have found a copy of the file Camera Raw.8bi file in the wrong place.  At least the installer put the new one in the right place.

Here's another folder under which to look for the old Camera Raw.8bi (make sure to look in subfolders).  Remove it if you find it there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-ins

I don't know how it could have been originally installed there, but that's a folder set that Photoshop looks in for plug-ins.

-Noel

• 16. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Actually, Photoshop 8.0 is Photoshop CS.  You can confirm this by opening Photoshop and doing Help - About Photoshop.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                          sonsteby Level 1

Noel,

So, it looks like I only have Photoshop CS, which I am not sure what that

means compared to the other versions.

I tried going to the directory you mentioned (*C:\Program Files

(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-ins*), but this is what mine looked

like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-ins then there is

Adobe Photoshop CS Only\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

or

*C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-ins\File

Formats\Camera Raw.8bi*

As far the health of my system, I don't know where to start with that if

there is a problem.

Thank you for your continued, focused help.

• 18. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

No worries.  You won't be able to use Camera Raw 4.6 with Photoshop CS, though, so we can abandon that approach.

So now we have to concentrate on the DNG converter.

You say you have the DNG converter version 6.4, and when navigate to a folder containing your NEF files, you cannot get the [Convert] button to become active, is that a fair summary?

I'm wondering whether something else is either not selected or configured properly...

Can you please do a screen capture showing the DNG converter dialog when that happens?

-Noel

• 19. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                              sonsteby Level 1

Okay. There must be something wrong with my computer because now when I

started to select the folder, it isn't grayed out and it is now converting.

I had to change my preferences to the earliest version (2.4) so that it will

work with my Photoshop CS. So I just converted a few hundred NEF files and

it worked fine. Then I went into Photshop CS and tried opening just one of

the dng files and it gives me an error "Unable to use the Camera Raw

plug-in. It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop".

I am definitely learning some patience in this problem. Any other options

for me, Noel?

• 20. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                Noel Carboni Level 7

That actually sounds like progress.  Don't worry, we'll get there.

In Photoshop CS, what version do you see when you choose Help - About Plug-in... and click on Camera Raw?

We're hoping to see Camera Raw 2.4.  If it is not, we may need to find the Camera Raw.8bi file that Photoshop is finding and remove it, then install this update:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2701

Almost the same exercise as before, but this time using the proper version of Camera Raw for Photoshop CS.

-Noel

• 21. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                  sonsteby Level 1

Okay...big deep breath!

I actually have two Camera Raw plug-ins listed in Photoshop CS. Both say

version "4.6.0.30".

So, I proceeded to the link you provided, after removing the Camera Raw.8bi

file. I can now open the .dng files, but it opens in a slightly different

format than the normal way a .jpg opens in my Photoshop CS. No worries,

though! I have a few loops to go through in order to use my Photoshop CS,

but it works now.

Thank you so much Noel!

• 22. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

You're welcome.

sonsteby wrote:

it opens in a slightly different format than the normal way a .jpg opens in my Photoshop CS.

That would be the Camera Raw dialog.  Once you get to know it, it's actually quite powerful.

Have fun!

-Noel

• 23. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                      sonsteby Level 1

One more quick question, Noel. Would you recommend that I could delete the

NEF file once I convert them to .dng files?

• 24. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                        areohbee Level 5

Never delete the original NEF, unless you just like the thrill of working without a net.

Adobe converted DNGs will always work with Adobe software, but not always with other software.

PS - Set a timer to revisit this decision in another decade...

R

• 25. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                          sonsteby Level 1

Thank you Rob!

Timer is ticking...

• 26. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Sorry I'm late getting back here.  +100 to what Rob said.

-Noel

• 27. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 and CS3 compatibility
                                                              JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

If what you are using is Photoshop CS, then the latest version of Camera Raw that you can use is version 2.4.  And when you convert your files to DNG, you need to make sure you choose the appropriate compatibility option.