5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 7:40 AM by Buqpa

Stroke filling a path

Buqpa

Hello everybody,

I have spent the last hours trying to figure this out, but I feel clueless...

I want a stroke to fill a path with differente thinkness. It is like a shadow being filled. I really want to use the "begin-finish" effect inside the stroke and I could manage to do do it simply with the stroke effect if all the shadow have the same thickness, but it changes depending the place...

Any suggestion?
      Best,

Diego

• 1. Re: Stroke filling a path
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Create the variance on a separate layer then use that layer as a matte on the actual layer that has a big fat stroke being animated along a mask....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stroke filling a path
            Buqpa Level 1

Great suggestion, but I have the following problem: a thick stroke "jumps" because of its thickness, like too many pixels per step.

Is that normal? Is there a way to avoid that? It feels like it tries to advances too many pixels per frame,

Best,

Diego

• 3. Re: Stroke filling a path
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Try to use shape layer paths with capped ends (create the path, apply a Trim Paths modifier). This wil lavoid the big rounded blob effect. Additionally, consider pre-composing the wipe and applying CC Force Motion Blur to enforce a few sub-samples and make it look more pleasing...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Stroke filling a path
                Buqpa Level 1

Woah, thanks! Let me try it

It seems to be a bit tricky :S
                • 5. Re: Stroke filling a path
                  Buqpa Level 1

Well, I have tried like 20 times but I do not achieve the effect Isn't there a simple way to make the stoke to go pixel by pixel?

An alternative may be the following: draw a closed shape and fill it following a path. Is that possible on AE? How can I do it?

Thanks for all your replay M.