12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2007 3:00 PM by eholz1

Play multiple movie clips - with sound

eholz1 Level 1
      Hello Forum members,

I am a total new comer in terms of flash and action script, self-educated and Adobe forum and internet educated. I can now click a button and stop and start a movie clip, use attachMovie, and even mute sound in a movie clip (not video). I am currently using Flash 8, and waiting for CS3 (downloaded a trial, and like it better than Flash 8).

Enough history - now to my question - I have an application that had 3 scenes. I read in some Adobe article
      "Flash Best Practices" that it was not a good idea to use scenes in an application. I converted my Scene 2 and Scene 3 into movie clips.

I figured I could either put each movie clip on a separate layer in my timeline (mc_scene2, mc_scene3)
      and play them, one after the other (did not quite work, more later). Or...
      copy the timelines from the scenes, and add those frames to my Scene 1, making a application with both scenes staggered one after the other in the main timeline. Or...
      Keep Scene 1 and at the end of scene 1, attacheMovie("mc_scene2", etc) and when scene 2 was done play and or attach the final movie clip (mc_scene3).
      I could not figure out how to tell when mc_scene2 was done using the attacheMovie method, so I could then attach mc_scene3, etc.

How would I be able to tell when one attached or loaded movie clip is finished, and then start the next one?
      Or what is the suggested way to use actionscript to load a movie, play it, and when the clip is done, load and play the next, etc.

Thanks for a good forum,

eholz1
        • 1. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          put stop(); actions on frame 1 of both your mc_scene MCs. place them both on stage at the end of scene 1. and attach this to the frame they are on
          • 2. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
            eholz1 Level 1
            Hello Forum - dzedward,

This is cool. I will try it out. thanks! Then I will return and mark this response as an answer.

eholz1
            • 3. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
              eholz1 Level 1
              Hello Again - I guess there is much that I do not understand.I followed the tip above - or so I thought.I have "buttons" on my movie clips that play the clip when clicked.I have placed stop actions in frame 1 of each movie clip.I tried placing mc_scene2 and mc_scene3 on their own layer in the timeline, and put the code above in my actions layer (Scene 1).it seems that nothing really works - the _visible property seems not to work, etc - I must be doing something wrong. What layer should the two mc's be placed?Thanks for the infoEholz1
              • 4. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                eholz1 Level 1
                Hello Again - I guess there is much that I do not understand.
                I followed the tip above - or so I thought.
                I have "buttons" on my movie clips that play the clip when clicked.
                I have placed stop actions in frame 1 of each movie clip.

I tried placing mc_scene2 and mc_scene3 on their own layer in the timeline, and put the code above in my actions layer (Scene 1).

it seems that nothing really works - the _visible property seems not to work, etc - I must be doing something wrong. What layer should the two mc's be placed?

Thanks for the info
                Eholz1
                • 5. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                  Level 7

I tried placing mc_scene2 and mc_scene3 on their own layer in the timeline,
                  and put the code above in my actions layer (Scene 1).

it seems that nothing really works - the _visible property seems not to work,
                  etc - I must be doing something wrong. What layer should the two mc's be
                  placed?

Thanks for the info
                  Eholz1

• 6. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                    eholz1 Level 1

I tried placing mc_scene2 and mc_scene3 on their own layer in the timeline, and put the code above in my actions layer (Scene 1).

it seems that nothing really works - the _visible property seems not to work, etc - I must be doing something wrong. What layer should the two mc's be placed?

Thanks for the info
                    Eholz1
                    • 7. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                      eholz1 Level 1

Thanks for the info
                      Eholz1
                      • 8. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                        eholz1 Level 1
                        Forgive me - I had the mcs in the library set as a "linkage" to the name. I did NOT give the mc's on the stage their own INSTANCE
                        name. They now have instances names, and it works. Surpise on me.

Thanks again,
                        eholz1
                        • 9. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                          MaxManNH Level 2
                          Just a quick check. You movie clips are named mc_scene2 and mc_scene3 in the library. Are they also called this in the instance name box under the properties window?
                          • 10. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                            eholz1 Level 1
                            Hello Again and MaxManNH,

I did check and change the instance name (for the mc's on the stage).
                            I am not quite understanding the difference between the "linkage" property of a symbol as opposed to an intance name of an object on the stage. I will try to use instance names.

Thanks,

ehozl1
                            • 11. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                              Damon Edwards Level 3
                              instance names are unique names of the symbol on the stage to reference it with AS.. the linkage name is used for attachMovie().
                              • 12. Re: Play multiple movie clips - with sound
                                eholz1 Level 1
                                Ah, that makes more sense now!
                                Thanks Again,
                                all is well with the app - I feel smarter now!

eholz1