1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 9:33 AM by TradeWind Branched to a new discussion.

Professional Monitoring

Butch2oc Level 1

I use Blackmagic I/O on my mac and if I run a blackmagic preset timeline in Prem CS5 the performance of Prem is dramatically reduced as opposed to a Prem software only preset. I have read on the cow the reasons behind this and understand them. My question is this... how do you utilise the full benefits of Prem in the professional world if you can't monitor it easily.

Things I have tried:

I can set up an adobe sequence preset that is nice and quick and then put that sequence into a  Blackmagic timeline to see it's final output but working like this is not very good when clients are sitting with me while grading. A bug also appeared doing this... after rendering the original sequence I put it into a blackmagic sequence and it wouldn't play and there was no indication that it needs rendering until I scaled it a little bit, then it rendered and played ok.

I have a good pro HD monitor that can actually take a feed straight out of my graphics card but this then makes it impossible to have a dual display for the gui. Video running on my external monitor also slightly stutters inconsistently i.e. not a field issue etc

I have also had problems with selecting the "2nd monitor" for monitoring as the option to select it is buggy. By this I mean it sometimes is not there to even select. After closing and reopening I can sometimes get it to reappear.

Is this just a Blackmagic thing or is this the standard? If anyone could provide a pro monitoring solution when using Premiere that would be great.

I must stress that the performance of Premiere is marginally quicker than FCP when using my I/O card so by migrating to Premiere is not a negative as there are more advantages with Adobe's workflows, I just want to get a good graphics card and extra RAM so I can get that Mercury Engine rocking but I'll need to get a decent monitoring workflow before I do it.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Professional Monitoring
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          how do you utilise the full benefits of Prem in the professional world if you can't monitor it easily.

This is what I consider one of two major sticking points for Premiere Pro's entry into the big leagues (along with full network support for multi-user collaborative environments).

What is needed and wanted here is a way to get professional monitoring through the graphics card, whereby the desktop is NEVER part of the external monitor, not a clone, not extended.  The monitor needs to show black when no clip is selected, and needs to show whatever clip is selected - preview thumbnail, Source Monitor, Sequence or Program Monitor.  This needs to come off the appropriate port of the graphics card.  It needs to work with whatever graphics card I have (that meet minimum requirements).

In other words, it's time to end reliance on third party hardware like AJA, BM and Matrox for this.  Any sufficient nVidia or ATI card needs to be able to handle this functionality.

Towards that end, I encourage you to follow through:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Professional Monitoring
            jkosmicki Level 2

I use a Blackmagic Decklink Studio with CS5 and I get very good playback with Blackmagic timelines. With 720 24P HD, I can generally get 7-8 layers all with 3-way color correction, all real-time, and my system is certainly not the beefiest. You should definitely be able to get fairly close to the same editing performance when using 3rd party hardware as without. The main difference being that with a Blackmagic card or other professional monitoring, the RGB output from Adobe needs to be converted to YUV, and that will certainly cost some performance.

I think you just need to get your system dialed in, I'm on a PC so I won't be much help, but I can say that my current inexpensive core i7 system is somuch faster than my old dual quad-core Xeon system.

• 3. Re: Professional Monitoring
              shooternz Level 6
              What is needed and wanted here is a way to get professional monitoring through the graphics card, whereby the desktop is NEVER part of the external monitor, not a clone, not extended.  The monitor needs to show black when no clip is selected, and needs to show whatever clip is selected - preview thumbnail, Source Monitor, Sequence or Program Monitor.  This needs to come off the appropriate port of the graphics card. 

I have exactly what you ask for working in my CS5 suite. Works almost perfectly

I will add that I still have unresolved  issues*  getting the setting to stick when I change Sequences within the same project so I do agree.. External Monitoring still needs a bit of work from Adobe to take it to the "big league in this particular regard.

* I am still uncertain if the issue I have is reproducible  in others set ups.  I have been informed by some it is not but did not get enough from enough people to gauge.

suite sm1.jpg

Message was edited by: shooternz Added picture

• 4. Re: Professional Monitoring
                Butch2oc Level 1

Thanks Jim for your reply, looks like you understand my point when I say "Full Benefits" of Prem Pro. I want to migrate from FCP because of adobes great workflow and not run Prem it at a lower percentage of it's full power. I will follow through with your suggestion.... why don't we get together and build a CUDA card with Pro I/Os and leave the graphics cards alone to run the usual stuff... could be a good money spinner. Seems so simple in comparison to what is getting developed out there. Maybe AJA, BM or Matrox should get this happening before they die.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Professional Monitoring
                  Butch2oc Level 1

jkosmicki,

I have exactly what you ask for working in my CS5 suite. Works almost perfectly.

Ok... could you tell us what it is? Could you setup support 2 Mons for the GUI or are you doing what I described in my post.

If so, are you getting the bug I described re "2nd Monitor"

Cheers

• 6. Re: Professional Monitoring
                    Butch2oc Level 1

Sorry, above post meant for Shooternz

• 7. Re: Professional Monitoring
                      shooternz Level 6

Essentially I gave up  on 2 monitors for the GUI so that I could external monitor (without u

sing my BM Card - which sits on the shelf now)

I use a 27" single monitor for the GUI and a 24" for the monitor.  ( I also port off to a 3rd client monitor from the 2nd)

I do not miss a 2 monitor GUI and you will note that I have my second monitor above the primary.  This suit me ergonomically and in practice.

The images match and there are no playback or delay issues.  All synchs (vid /aud) with the external amplifier and all monitors are in video synch  perfectly.

Now ..apart from what I call the "sequence switching issue"...it works great. I can live with it easily.

FWIW : I do have 2 monitor set ups in my CS3/4 suite and find it a bit clunky now that I have the single one in my CS5 suite.  Wouldnt go back to using 2.

• 8. Re: Professional Monitoring
                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

The trouble with your set-up shooternz is exactly as the  OP did not want - you have sacrificed a monitor from a dual rig.

Also, and more importantly IMHO, it doesn't answer my perennial moan about the ability to colour grade/ interlace check on YUV.

• 9. Re: Professional Monitoring
                          sookoll

I am using a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 2 on PC and that little loss of performance has not affected me at all. Mostly I work with 1080 uncompressed avi files and rarely need more than 2 layers, each with couple of effects. And that all stays realtime for me if I use GPU accelerated effects.

I couldnt imagine only using gfx-card output for monitoring as I need to see the quality on a good SDI reference monitor and scopes.

• 10. Re: Professional Monitoring
                            hhansard Level 1

Had similar problem.  Several years ago, some high-end cards allowed 2 active program displays and video monitoring. Never used BM, so don’t know if it was one of them.  At some point, I upgraded the drivers and this capability disappeared.  Basically, only 2 outputs total.

To get my 3 monitor setup, I rerouted the monitoring through firewire to a conversion box (Sony) and output to a pro monitor (Sony).  I was doing broadcast at the time, so the $$ was worth it.  BUT, the box cost more than the rest of my system combined.  I believe you can do the same with pro-level VTRs (but again, they start about $4K).

• 11. Re: Professional Monitoring
                              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

The only trouble with PP CS4/5 monitoring through firewire is the issue that many of us have reported previously;  that the program monitor locks up when you route to the external monitor.  You also have to patch the sound out through the monitor to lose the sync lag.

With CS5, you additionally have to disable the MPE before you can route to the monitor.

PP CS5 is almost a professional tool - but not quite yet.  I always feel slightly embarrased when clients want to preview on the external monitor.

• 12. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                hhansard Level 1

Absolutly, you trade the program monitor and rerouted audio, but that may be a good trade-off for external monitoring.

It is also agreed that PP is not really a pro tool, the question is how to get external monitoring.

• 13. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I've remonstrated on these fora until I'm blue in the finger.  I've even put in my fair share of feature requests (It may even have been an issue as far back as CS3).  Alas, all to no avail.

Every time a major update is announced, my little heart pounds away as I avidly (no pun intended) eye the list, searching for the magic words "issues with external monitoring addressed".  But it is not to be.

Clearly those of us who want two programme monitors + external YUV monitoring are in the minority - or should switch TO Avid.

• 14. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    The trouble with your set-up shooternz is exactly as the  OP did not want - you have sacrificed a monitor from a dual rig.

I new that when I posted and here is what I was responding to, from the OP

My question is this... how do you utilise the full benefits of Prem in the professional world if you can't monitor it easily.

There seems to be a line of thought running here ... for it to be called "professional external monitoring " is that one MUST have  3 monitors!

Thats rubbish and makes no sense.  Does make the edit suite look seriously cool I guess.

I deliberately "sacrificed" a 2nd GUI monitor to obtain an easy  professional monitor set up.  That is what I have done.

In the process I used a larger single monitor for application GUI and and a superb professional level monitor for full screen monitoring    ( as I said before  - this loops to a client monitor as well).

My setup has the bonus of being ergonomically superior to the 2 monitor set up.  eg.  less mouse / hand / arm movement, less head movement.

FWIW: I have been working with other editors and other high end post production facilities lately.

The FCP editors were using single monitors and one external.  (ie a Laptop and and external via a box)

The Flame suites (3) were using single monitors for application GUI and one external.... plus client monitors  ( I noted that all the Barco ref CRTs were not even turned on) .

IMHO...monitoring HD via a F/W device is very problematical in PPRO and not worth considering as a professional option. Maybe o.k for SD

• 15. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                      Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Hi Craig.  I take your point entirely about 2 monitors - that's not really THE criterion of mine.  It's just that a lot of people grew up on Avid suites, and got used to that methodology.  I simply don't want to work on a single monitor unless circumstances dictate (Laptop in the field, for example.)

No, what is key to all of this is not the numbers of monitors one can speard the desktop across - it is the ability to externally monitor YUV as a simple in-line process without sacrificing any other process or performance.  So for me, using one of the GPU channels as an external output is not an option.

I agree about firewire.  Trouble is that one needs to spend about £700 on an I/O card.  Cheaper units reportedly degrade PP performance - which is a shame as CS5 is a great app (external monitoring issues aside).

• 16. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                        shooternz Level 6

Just wondering...why is YUV so important to you?

• 17. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I use it as a generic term for CRT monitoring.  A lot of my work goes out interlaced (not projected as data) , so it's important that I can check for interlacing issues and colour grade on a calibrated YUV monitor.

When work is going to to be streamed as data, external YUV monitoring is less inportant, although I'd still rather grade on one than the LCD monitor.

All that withstanding, when clients sit in on my edit, I want them to be viewing a separtate monitor - not looking over my shoulder at a small picture embedded in the app.

• 18. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                            shooternz Level 6

Fair enough.

Must say that I feel CRT has gone the way of the Steenbeck  ....IMHO

Is there any other way of testing interlacing for your QC purposes without using CRT monitors?

Seems to be the only reason that you need it in your workflow apart from "nostalgia" 

Quality client monitoring is so easy in my set up.  I can run up to 3 additional if required ( never have had to yet... but I have a small edit suite and may need to one day)

• 19. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                              Butch2oc Level 1

Looks like it all boils down to day to day usage and requirements.

My average timeline, if I don't go to AE, has about six layers of video and about 8 tracks of audio... I do a lot of retail commercials.

I love having 2 Mons for my GUI, the left for main ops etc and the right screen full of the timeline with as many tracks expanded as possible.

I can work very quickly this way.

I have a got rid of my CRT now as my LCD tech mon (cost about 6.5K) can be in field mode to check field issues etc... so there is a way without CRTs however if your

serious about your grading then a lot of old school operators like the blacks you get from CRT's

As many visuals are progressive now some may not need field monitoring but if you want that smooth motion on a graphic move then you have to

go to field based timelines. So the reasons for needing this type of monitoring are definitely there.

You mentioned.... (Quality client monitoring is so easy in my set up.  I can run up to 3 additional if required)

What card or cards are you using?

Cheers

The reason I initiated these posts

• 20. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                shooternz Level 6

The card I am using is a Quadro FX3800 ....but client monitoring is distributed via a 4 way switcher box.

(I still have a couple of CRTs but they are kind of gathering dust.)

I do still use a CRT in the cinetape facilty where I do my final post out for broadcast as a quick check but its their  LCDs that best represent what I do so I pay more attention to them.

As regards Blacks.  I trust my scopes and use the color bars (pluges) as a check across facilties.

I occassionaly check out grey scales that I produce (eg no color grey matte) and I check these on vectorscopes in both my own and other facilties.

Havent ever been let down yet by my current monitoring set up and I dont know how I could improve it at all at the moment.

Side note: Apple Gamma was a bit of a "gotcha" for a while!

FWIW: check out HP DreamColor monitors.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/596803-0-0-225-121.html

Still seems from the above  discussons as if sticking point for many of you  is a reluctance to give up on your twin application GU interfaces or your desire for CRT monitoring.

• 21. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

As technology advances, the need to change one's MO should be through choice, not because resources enforce it. 

I've been happy with a 2-monitor GU for over 10 years and do not want to change to single monitor editing. It's not the way I personally want to work.

I too have an FX 3800.  I was contemptating a Blackmagic Intensity Pro until I heard that it can interfer with PP CS5 performance plus a few driver issues.  A BM would have given the facility to connect a decent HD monitor when funds would allow.

As far as DreamColor monitors are concerned - absolutely beautiful, but too rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

I think that's half the issue, actually.  If money was no object all those years ago, I - and many others - would probably have thought about investing in an Avid suite.  As it was, I could not have justified that then and wouldn't now.

So if I was honest, I have Premiere by default, not choice.  But it's come a long way from Version 5, and now I wouldn't change it at all.  I prefer it to any Avid system.  All I want to see is the niggles ironed out.  But I am a realist.  If it had all the Avid capabilities, it would have an Avid price tag.

So I know my place ;-(

• 22. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                    shooternz Level 6

I would be happy to sell you the a BM Intensity Pro (that languishes unloved on m

y shelf)  but I would be also obliged to tell you  that it solved some issues ...and brought some of its own as well. Issues I can not live with.

I have really explored the monitoring issue ( I hope you can tell)  and I am satisfied that what I have got ...works really well at a pro level.

Must add that I also use the wonderful tilde key function a lot when editing.

Now Adobe...I want to cover some old ground again! 

Why does PPRO drop the playback setting when swapping between Sequences in the same Project.

The mini monitor in the Project Bin never forgets but the Program monitor DOES. Please explain this to me.

(Its my only gripe with external monitoring and I do not know any way that I can demonstrate the issue to you)

• 23. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                      jkosmicki Level 2

PP CS5 is almost a professional tool - but not quite yet.  I always feel slightly embarrassed when clients want to preview on the external monitor.

I disagree, I have 3 monitors running (not to mention the 2 computer monitors) all with professional/accurate color. I have an HP 24" LCD connected to a BM HDLink Pro3D  being feed an HD-SDI output from my BM Decklink card. The signal is 10-bit YUV Rec. 709. I have a Sony PVM being feed a 10-bit SD-SDI output, the signal is a real-time HD to SD conversion, with NTSC Rec 601 color and proper fields when appropriate. I have a 40" 1080P LCD being feed a 10bit HDMI sginal with proper ATSC color. All signals are being feed from my Decklink card, all real-time, in both Premiere and After Effects.

I have clients and producers here all of the time and it not embarrassing at all. Frankly, I embarrassed when I see a "professional" FCP suite and they are using those awful Apple Cinema displays.

I agree though, that Adobe and 3rd party hardware could work a lot closer for a tighter integration.

My suite with 24" HD monitor, 20" SD monitor, 40" client monitor, 2-22" computer monitors. (The overhead lights were on the picture)

system.jpg

• 24. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Very interesting jkosmicki.  It's good to hear about a real-world working solution

Are you able to run PP CS5 with MPE enabled simultaneously without any performance loss or functionality issues?

• 25. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                          jkosmicki Level 2

Definately, I always work MPE on. I have an Nvidia GTX 470 for my GPU.

• 26. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                            Butch2oc Level 1

Just letting you know I have almost got an identical setup and the

difference in performance on my system between an adobe preset

sequence as opposed to a Blackmagic sequence was the reason I placed

the first post.

So I guess Im asking jkosmicki the same question... what performance

are you getting in the Blackmagic world. How many layers with GPU

plugs can you run in realtime with the MPE. As my system is almost

identical, how do you handle the delay you get with the 40' LCD client

monitor? I have to switch to either my edit monitoring or LCD HDMI

only. It's about a 3 frame delay that my Sony 40 Bravia puts in.

• 27. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                              jkosmicki Level 2

From my earlier post:

With 720 24P HD, I can generally get 7-8 layers all with 3-way color correction, all real-time, and my system is certainly not the beefiest.

That is with a Blackmagic preset using MPE and a GTX 470.

The client monitor has a few frames delay (the 2 broadcast monitors do not), but clients never complain (or notice for that matter). If I am playing a timeline for clients were lip-sync is crucial, I can temporarily turn down the system audio (I use a Mackie board and speakers) and use the audio from the client monitor (since it is fed HDMI). For a more permanent solution, there are both digital and analog audio outputs on the client monitor, I can run the analog out to the Mackie board, I just have not done that yet.

• 28. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                Butch2oc Level 1

Thanks jkosmicki,

I think I'll do some tests with a few different GPU's mine may be

cooked.

Out of interest I notice in your suite it looks like you have a digi

beta deck.

If it is, do have any accuracy probs with 422 control?

• 29. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                  Pijetro1

And referring back to the original post...

I believe there will always be a place for 3rd party displays...Whether Matrox, BM, AJA etc....

Serious colour correction will always be in the hands of these tools...

Mr. Kosmicki....

Are you using BM presets for your playback and editing mode?

What i'm trying to get at, is does PPro know to use MPE for your display devices, but still know to use BM for preview??

IS this done all from the Sequence settings, or did you have to dig deep to get BM and nVidia to work in unison??

Thanks...

• 30. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                    jkosmicki Level 2

Out of interest I notice in your suite it looks like you have a digi

beta deck.

If it is, do have any accuracy probs with 422 control?

No problems at all with 422 control. I use the Blackmagic deck control, and it's always frame accurate on both capture and print to tape. I've had to literally layoff hundreds of Beta tapes for broadcast and have not had issues with accuracy.

What i'm trying to get at, is does PPro know to use MPE for your display devices, but still know to use BM for preview??

IS this done all from the Sequence settings, or did you have to dig deep to get BM and nVidia to work in unison??

Yes, there is no special setup necessary. I have read that Adobe worked with BM and other 3rd party hardware makers to be sure that MPE would work with non-native editing modes. When I start a project, I just choose a Blackmagic preset and go, I don't need to change any settings. On the BM timeline I can use any source material like P2, DSLR, EX, CineForm, ect. and it all plays real-time, multiple layers.

• 31. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                      shooternz Level 6

I think that there are enough posts in this thread to debunk the notion that PPRO is

not professional because it does not have "Professional Monitoring Capabilties"

Well ..actually it does...but it also needs a little bit more work from Adobe as well to seal the deal. IMHO

One conclusion is that Adobe and 3rd parties might tighten things up a bit.

"when the going gets tough ... the pros get goiing"

(Been an interesting thread)

• 32. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

...and as a result, I've bought a BM Intensity Pro.  If it doesn't work, it won't have broken the bank.  Thanks to all of you who helped me make up my mine.

Nice try, Shooternz, but I can't quite give up my 2-monitor MO just yet :-/

• 33. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                          shooternz Level 6

As regards 2 monitors I  keep meaning to add. (and keep forgetting to)

If you check out my set up (photo) earlier post.  I can use the monitor as a second monitor any time I choose and I frequently do.

I can drag anything into it any time I want.

Often I will use it for full frame Titling or as a Trim Monitor Screen or a Reference Monitor ...or just for scopes for my customised Grading Workspace.

I have not entirely abandoned a 2 monitor UI with PPRO!

I could even fire up the  BM Card but do not want the small compromises and added complexity.

Report back how you go with it J-MS

• 34. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                            Butch2oc Level 1

It has been great to get everyones thoughts and discussions... and a big thankyou for them.

I have recently discovered that my GPU may be fried and am getting hold of a GTX285 and will test out and post results.

I suppose in essence I'm after the speed difference between the adobe preset and the blackmagic preset.

My system gave results that made me think I would have to monitor from the GPU hence posting the original.

I'll rebuild and get back results after I clear up a few jobs.

I'd like to get the test proj out and compare with you guys if thats ok.

I understand all systems are different but it may be a good exercise anyway.

cheers

• 36. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Well I'm one step nearer to a solution.

I have installed the BM Intensity Pro with the latest drivers.  Great news:  at long last there is no audio lag on the external monitor. The HDMI output gives me a colour output.  All looking good.

However...

...Now the troubles begin!!!

There is no chroma signal reaching my CRT monitor when connected using the single Y video out.  It's a mono image.

When I press the chroma button on the monitor, I get the "No Effect" message, so it is telling me it's not receiving chroma.  However, when I connect via firewire through my tape deck, colour is restored and the chroma button works.

So  somehow the BM Intensity Pro is not outputting colour.  I have swapped cables.  I am definitely using the correct output;  it's not a compisite/S-video or PAL/NTSC mis-match.

jkosmicki or Thrill Media, is this a sympton you recognise?

• 37. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                                Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Problem resolved thanks to Bisa Goma in an earlier thread.  Blackmagic

has setting which need to be established in the Control Panel.

All seems to be working well!!!

• 38. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

IIRC, in a post about using multiple GPUs several weeks ago, it was established that you could install two video cards, use the outputs on card #1 for your Windows GUI, and use the ouptuts on the second card for your monitoring setup... so your pro monitor that will accept an input from a graphics card could go on card #2. Adobe apparently will recognize it and list it in your options for full-screen monitoring from your program window...

Great string here, and it has given me a lot to think about. Right now almost everything I do goes to digital formats, so I'm not too terribly concerned about accurate color for broadcast or a TV... as long as it looks good on my LCDs. But getting a good monitoring setup is something I've been wanting for a long time, and learning how to accurately set my color on my monitors is also something that I've been looking for. Now to convince my bosses that it's worth the $$$ for a proper setup!

• 39. Re: Professional Monitoring
                                                                                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Could anyone please advise which preset I should use:

I am using the recently installed BM Intensity Pro for external monitoring only.  The trouble is I am locked in to using a BM present.

I want to create a sequence using already captured Sony Z1 PAL HDV footage (1440 x 1080 @ 25 fps).  There is no HDV preset per se.  The HD 1080 folder does not contain HD codecs.

BM seems not to be able to help, as I have been told to look in PAL folder (wher it's all SD 720 x 576)

Or...

Perehaps, because I'm only using it to monitor, that it doesn't really matter what the prreset is called, provided it is 1440 x 1080 50i - and that I output it using the correct codec!.

Could anyone be so good as to advise.  Thanks.

Apart from that, initial impressions of the BM card are good.  No system crashes.  There is a drop in Mercury Playback Engine capabilities, but I cannot quantify it yet.  It's unimportant for about 60% of my work.  Currently getting 4 layers of HD with blend mode set to overlay on each layer before the render bar turns red.  I can get 10 layers with Adobe's native preset.

BMD.JPG

1 2 Previous Next