4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 11:00 AM by PaulieDC

I'm DONE With Onboard RAID. Is This a Good Card?

PaulieDC Level 2

Onboard RAID is useless, why do they even bother including it? I'm simply running two 1TB WD RE3's in RAID0 for assets (yes, I back it up!). I may add a third drive for RAID5 in the future.

I found this Areca: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131003

For just under $300, does it look kosher, or is there a better option?

• 1. Re: I'm DONE With Onboard RAID. Is This a Good Card?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

In that price range it is very good. Looks like a good buy, but as always you get what you pay for. If the budget were higher I would prefer the 1880.

• 2. Re: I'm DONE With Onboard RAID. Is This a Good Card?
            PaulieDC Level 2

Thanks Harm. The 1880 does look good, double the ram, double the ports and double the price. I think I need to stick with the 1210 for now, I just spent $2K on a new Canon lens Monday so I'm running lean right now. My two RE3s are 3GB drives and I only need two ports, so the 1210 will suffice for now, should certainly out-perform onboard RAID I would think. The future always brings upgrades so I'll keep Areca in mind.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Paulie

Oh, I see my PPBM5 score is now posted, I'm at a dull 57% on the list (I'm happy to be above the halfway mark at least). My rig is totally stock, so after the card gets installed, I think I'm finally going to read your guide and pursue a moderate but stable OC, and then resubmit. I noticed I wrongly put 8 cores for my 950, I imagine that has a slight impact on the score, lol. Huge thanks for creating that benchmark system, it's a great thermometer to our PC strengths and weaknesses.

• 3. Re: I'm DONE With Onboard RAID. Is This a Good Card?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For almost double the price you could get an LSI 9260-8i which would give you great expandability in the future.  The CPU in that Areca card is very old, at least three generations.  Also while it may not currently improve performance much the LSI has the newer 6Gb/second disk interfaces as well as a great new CPU that is current technology.  The identical unit is also sold as both Intel branded (RS2BL080SNGL) and IBM branded.  The only thing it does not have (in high end controllers) that is Harm's favorite is RAID 3 or 30.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I'm DONE With Onboard RAID. Is This a Good Card?
                PaulieDC Level 2

Thanks for the links, Bill. I suppose I should think expansion now if I'm going to invest in this... I guess what fries me is that I paid $480 for my i7-920 and X58 mobo, and I got the Superclocked GTX470 for $299, yet a dinky RAID card is nearly 600 bucks, and I even saw some weigh in at $1200+. I know it's not a high-demand item, hence the premium price... I'm just being cheap and cranky.