21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 3:20 PM by Spamiam2

Newbie: No display in Program window

Spamiam2

I have just gotten Premier CS5.  I am running it on my HP laptop.  I realize it will be slow, but I do not get any video display in the program (or source) windoes.  I hear the audio, and if I pause the play, then I see the frame at which it stopped, but the display is black if I restart playing.

If I export this file (I imporder a MOV type) as an AVI, then from Windows, I can view the AVI program perfectly. 

If I start a new project, and import the AVI that I just created, I have the same inability to see the video clip in the program window.

What am I doing wrong?

-Tony

• 1. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mov and Avi may mean many things...

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Also, you need to provide hardware and software DETAILS

Such as version of Windows

Such as model laptop... and graphics adapter (Ati or nVidia... and exact model) and the exact driver version

Your problem is most likely a graphics adapter driver that is old and needs to be updated

Also, Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
          - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
          - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
          - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Where exactly did you get the original clips you're trying to edit?

Also, have you installed the licensed version or the trial?

• 3. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
              Spamiam2 Level 1

Thanks for the help.

I had hoped that I was making a simple error, despite having followed instructions in tutorials.

The MOV file was recorded by a simple HD handheld video recorder. 

I used G-Spot and it indicates that the file container is Quicktime MOV  

Video CODEC is avc1, name is H.264.  Status is listed as "undetermined"

Audio codec is mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

When I checked the "system" menu option, I could not tell if the avc1 codec was listed.  I did note several codecs listed as "missing", though none of them seemed to be for avc1.

The computer is a 2 year old HP DV5-1235dx.  It has only a built-in (shared RAM, most likely) video "card".  It is listed as Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset family.  I am virtually positive it is OpenGL-2 compatible.  It has a Core2 duo processor.  Several gig of RAM.  A single HD.  I realise that the program will run slowly, but I had hoped it would run properly.

I have the full version of Premiere, fully licensed and all options installed.

I can supply any further details as required.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

-Tony

• 4. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                Harm Millaard Level 7

AVCHD on that system, uugghh.

I realise that the program will run slowly, but I had hoped it would run properly.

Slowly in this case has to be seen from the perspective of a very old and frail snail, handicapped with a severe case of arthritis.

You are trying to edit one of the most demanding codecs, wrapped in a QuiRcktime MOV wrapper, which effectively kills the 64 bit nature of CS5 on a seriously underspecced laptop, with a slow CPU, a seriously lacking video chip (Intel with shared memory is a disaster for normal applications, but utter hell for video editing), only a single disk, which probably is not even 7200 RPM, possibly with a monitor that also does not meet minimum requirements, etc.

In short: Forget it. The system you describe is around 300 times slower than a decent system. Invest in a system that at least meets minimum requirements. That will allow you to edit DV material. For AVCHD get a way faster system, think i7-9xx on a X58 platform, 6+ (that is absolute bare minimum) GB memory, a dedicated video card with its own memory and three separate physical 7200 RPM SATA disks or better.

• 5. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                  Spamiam2 Level 1

Thanks for the info regarding the woeful inadequacy of my laptop.  I have a desktop that ought to be adequate, except for the need for a 64 bit OS.  I had kept an older version of XP-32 for legacy applications.  I can buy W7 and make a dual boot configuration pretty easily, except for the added cost of W7.  I had been planning on making the change anyway.

As I said in my first post, I had successfully exported the video into AVI format.  GSpot reports the codec as DVSD, named DVC/ DV video.  And the status indicates that the codecs are installed.  I still only see a picture in the program window when the playback is paused.  So, I am pretty sure it is not a codec problem.  It could be a video hardware problem.

I take it that there are no hidden settings that could force the Premiere software to handle my video hardware better?

I will have to get W7 on my desktop and see how it will work....

-Tony

• 6. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Tony,

If you have a DV AVI type2, instead of that AVCHD wrapped in a MOV wrapper, that will probably edit OK and you will be much better off in terms of editing experience.

• 7. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                      Spamiam2 Level 1

Harm,

Unfortunately, I have only that MOV file type available in that video camera.  However, I was able to load a (big) clip into Premiere, and then export it in a different format (I tested AVI) and it exported fine, and played fine in Windows.  So, It appears that I can convert that ACVHD format to a different, more easily editable format. 

I still have the program play problem on this laptop.  I will try it on my desktop and see what happens.

-Tony

• 8. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

The MOV file was recorded by a simple HD handheld video recorder. 

Make and model?

• 9. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                          Spamiam2 Level 1

It is an Aiptek HD recorder. Nothing fancy at all. I forget the model 

number at the moment. I can look it up

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This page shows 15 models http://www.aiptek.com/Camcorders/HD/ so knowing exactly which one will help lead to the exact codec used

It MAY be the same codec for all models but, since I don't use that brand, I have no way to know

• 11. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                              Spamiam2 Level 1

John,

The camcorded is the Aiptek model Z5X.  Thank you for checking.  As far as I can tell form the website, the only reference to the codec is H.264

-Tony

• 12. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

My best guess is your choice of camera.

Make sure to use only supported camera formats inside Premiere Pro.  H.264 encompasses a LOT of variables.  For cameras, you want one with the AVCHD logo on the camera.  Without that logo, you take a chance that the media may not work.

• 13. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                                  shooternz Level 6

The Red doesnt have an AVCHD logo on the side!

Nor does my HVX!

Nor does...

• 14. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

True, bot those camera shoot in OTHER supported formats.  Since the OP was using H.264 media, the format that's relevant here is AVCHD.

• 15. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                                      Spamiam2 Level 1

Jim,

The part that confuses me is the fact that I can export the clip in a different format, and it is properly translated.  It plays in the new format just fine outside Premiere.  But when I import that new format clip, it still will not play in the Program window (though the paused frame sometimes does display).  I would have thought that ig it could not handle the MOV file's codec, then it would not be able to translate it either?

-Tony

• 16. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I night have thought so as well.  But export and playback are two different things.  Export can wait as long as it needs to as it reads the frames.  Playback can't.

And playback outside of Premiere Pro often has little bearing on Premiere's performance with a file.

• 17. Re: Newbie: No display in Program window