3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 9:16 AM by TomWard888

NEF files not opening in camera raw in CS5

TomWard888 Level 1

I have lightroom 3.2 and photoshp CS5 extended

I am running if 64 bit in Windows 7

If I try to open a .nef file from lightroom usinf crtl-e it does not open in the raw editor.  it goes directly to what I would call the jpeg editor.

Now can I get my .nef files to open from lightroom into CS5?

If I open the .nef file from bridge it opens in camera raw just fine, or if I open it from windows explorer it opens in camera raw.

Help! this is very frustrating!!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: NEF files not opening in camera raw in CS5
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

TomWard888 wrote:

If I try to open a .nef file from lightroom usinf crtl-e it does not open in the raw editor.  it goes directly to what I would call the jpeg editor.

Now can I get my .nef files to open from lightroom into CS5?

What "JPEG" editor are you talking about? Photoshop CS5? If so, that's what Lightroom is supposed to do...open the image from Lightroom with adjustments, into Photoshop CS5. It doesn't use Camera Raw, it uses Lightroom to render the file.

• 2. Re: NEF files not opening in camera raw in CS5
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If LR is 3.2 and ACR is 6.2 (or they are otherwise synchronized to an older or newer version) then LR will tell PS to use ACR behind the scenes to render the file on the way into PS w/o having to go to an intermediate file and w/o seeing the ACR interface.  LR does not render anything, ACR does, but you don't see it, except maybe a progress bar if it takes too long. 

The adjustments in LR are the same as ACR so there's no need to show the ACR interface, right?  When LR and PS are being used together, LR is meant to be the keeper of the adjustments in its database that ACR knows nothing about.  If the ACR UI was visible and you tweaked something in ACR after coming out of LR it wouldn't get stored back into the LR database unless you synchronized the folder, later, and things would be a confusing mess.

Alternatively, if the LR and ACR version's aren't synced up, then LR may indeed render a TIF or PSD for PS to open, but again w/o ACR doing anything.  So in no circumstance of LR-PS integration should you see the ACR plug-in when you tell LR to open into PS.

• 3. Re: NEF files not opening in camera raw in CS5
              TomWard888 Level 1

Thank you this is helpful.  I was expecting to see the ACR interface when opening the .nef

file from lightroom into photoshop.  what you say makes sense that everything you can do in the ACR interface can be done in lightroom.  Just not what I was expecting.  I have just started using raw files so obviously I was a bit suprised when it did not come up in the interface i was expecting.