8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 4:11 PM by Jim_Simon

stuttered panning or moving footage

Stu0979

Hi all , I've recently purchased CS5 and am having a few issues, the major being that when I capture footage in CS5 and then review it any moving/panning shots are stuttered. This problem does not occur if my camera is plugged into my TV and played back. I've got a Sony HVR Z5 and capture in 25 interlace and in CS5 I create a project in the present menu of HDV 1080i 25(50i) and as soon as I review the captured footage it is stuttered when Ive used panning shot or even as people move across screen. I thought it may just be an issue with interlace so I filmed in 25 progressive and changed my project settings accordingly and again the same problem occurred. now the biggest issue is that this problem doesn't just occur with in CS5 but the burned DVD also has this problem. if someone could send me the correct project and playback settings that would be great if it fixes the problem.

Has any got any ideas????

Thanks in advance

Stu....

• 1. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Stu,

If you could provide more info about your system, that would be helpful.  My wild, stab-in-the-dark guess is that you're capturing your video to you c: drive and that's causing the stuttering in your playback.  To test, take a clip to the timeline, export it out as something and play it back (quicktime, flash,etc).  If it doesn't stutter, then the problem probably lies with your setup rather than the software.

Cheers,

Dennis

• 2. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Seems like the footage would stutter all the time if the disk arrangement were the issue, rather than just on the pans.

My own wild guess is that the burned DVD was never tested on the regular 25i footage, but only on the 25p footage.

How it looks in the Premiere monitor is of less concern than how it looks after export.  Make sure you do an export test with the original 25i footage.

• 3. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
              Stu0979 Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The spec of my system is:

Intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz (overclocked to 2.8ghz)

4gb DDR2 RAM

Nvidia GTX 8800 768mb RAM graphics

dual 750gb hard disks

1990p monitors.

I looked at the footage location and it is on the c: drive, what difference does this make?

can I direct it somewhere else? where too?

I'll also check that I've tested the burned the 25i footage to DVD and not just the 25p.

Thanks again for the advice.

Stu...

• 4. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I looked at the footage location and it is on the c: drive, what difference does this make?

can I direct it somewhere else? where too?

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
                1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
                3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

Since you have 2 drives, you should have Windows and all software on your boot drive, and all project and video files on your other drive

As to why, this is an example...

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 5. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Panning often leads to stuttering due to the nature of HDV. Slow panning is a requirement. Second, the PC is very low specced to handle that material and a progressive monitor is not suitable for judging the quality of interlaced material, especially not the program monitor. You can only judge the quality by playing the end result on a settop box and a HD TV.

• 6. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
                    Stu0979 Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice you given me, have taken it all on board.

The issue has been fixed, I dont think I tested the DVD properly. I ensured all the project, timeline and encoding setting where the same and it worked, I now have a stutter free DVD.

My last query is when I'm editing rthe footage in CS5. Ther footage is still stuttery so I think I need to ivest in some faster equipment although I dont know which parts (hard drive, RAM, processor, graphis card etc?)

could anyone suggest the best equipment suitable for this?

Thanks again

Stu

• 7. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Go to the hardware forum and press the overview tab. You will see a number of articles to get you started. Then look through some posts and check the PPBM5 benchmark to get an idea of what makes a fast system. When you have a definite budget, ask in the hardware forum.

Links:

Adobe Forums: Forum: Hardware Forum

PPBM5 Benchmark

• 8. Re: stuttered panning or moving footage
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Ther footage is still stuttery so I think I need to ivest in some faster equipment

Most often, the CPU is the critical piece here.  Especially with highly compressed footage.