12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2010 9:27 AM by akribie

Creating Website Flash in Premiere

orionlearn Level 1

First, I have to admit I hate working in flash CS5

I have to create flash slide shows that change very frequently for our web site.  I have created various 648 x 280 images in PS and then use premier to create a video and export it to FLV4.  What I cannot figure out is a way to play it on the website.  Seems I need to convert the FLV4 to SWF.  I do not need the video to link to other pages, just play and loop.

Any ideas would be appreicated.

Bob

• 1. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why not simply create slideshows in DW, possibly with Lightbox?

• 2. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
            orionlearn Level 1

Thanks Harm for the reply.

The reason I do not use DW or even PS is that I need the transitions in Premiere to catch the eye. There are usually 10 images that range from video to stills that announce or inform our customers.  I have seen a number of flash sites where each image is clickable, but I do not need that feature.

Bob

• 3. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

In that case use Flash to create a SWF file.

• 4. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While I agree with Harm that there's probably an easier way to do this in flash, I don't know that you can achieve the transitions you want as easily.

I any event, you create an flv or f4v file from Premiere, then you play this with a swf player (a small swf file that plays flv files).  Once you have your player set up, you can change the flv file as needed.

You can create this from flash or with separate programs.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                  orionlearn Level 1

Thanks Stan!

I will give it a shot in flash using the FLV premiere file and see if I can create the swf file from it.  I did try it at first, but admittedly did not really try hard.

What I am attempting is to create a 650 x 280 banner that uses ADO style transitions that morph from flat ad art to video segments.  I need it to loop as well.

I tried using Flash Catalyst, but cannot figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be back with hopefully good results.

Bob

• 6. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                    akribie Level 2

It's easy if you have Dreamweaver - just import the FLV file into your web page and choose a player.

Similarly easy in Flash itself, but then you have to add the player to a page, but you do have more control of the player that way.

• 7. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere

I will give it a shot in flash using the FLV premiere file and see if I can create the swf file from it.

See akribie's response: right on the track.

I'm responding to your "create a swf file from it."  You don't create a file from it: the swfplayer file is a swf and runs a flash movie that references (and plays) the .flv file you create in Premiere.  The .flv is a video, not, strictly speaking, a flash movie.  You can create a swf out of the flv, but there are some disadvantages to doing so.  I don't recall the pros and cons, just that, for longer videos, my conclusion was that keeping the flv separate was better.  Whether one or the other is better for your purpose, I don't know.

• 8. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                        orionlearn Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was able to make the project work in both Flash CS5 and Flash Catalyst.

Flash Catalyst was a quick fix to getting the Premier video into a SWF that I then loaded the php code into the web store.

Flash CS5 Pro did the same thing and facilitated adding clickable links along the video timeline.  This was accomplished by basically doing all the wrong things according to tutorials and advise.  Here is the process.

1. Develop a video sequence comprised of flat art and/or video in Premiere Pro.  You can use all of the transitions and effects to create a video that is appealing and alluring.
                        2. Export as a FLV (note, not FL4 as it will not load on the timeline)
                        3. Open FL and import the video from your computer file
                        4. Select the second option to load the video on the timeline as SWF.  Note, this lets you add an action track at the frame transitions so that you can assign a URL to that segment of the video
                        5. Use Code snipets to add the URL go to action and change the URL to the page you want in the action center.  Copy that action frame and paste it into the frames associated with that segment.  As a suggestion, if you are like me, all the majority segments have the same duration, so you can copy the keyframe sequence and paste it into the frames associated with the other segments.  Then change the url in each segment by selecting all the frames and changing one to the URL you want.  It will change all in that segments action track.
                        6. Export to SWF.
                        7. If you are using it in an html page, you will have all that you need.  In my case, I upload it to the server and then reference it in the php code.

Again, thanks for all the help!

BTW, the issue with using a exported SWF relates to audio sync with the video.  Since I do not use sould files for my work, it is not an issue.

Regards,

Bob

• 9. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the info!

• 10. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                            akribie Level 2

This should really be on the Flash forum, but ...

You might want to look at Cue Points, which allow you to interact with FLVs in a similar way to the keyframe method you currently use with SWF.

You'll also find that you have better control of the delay before start to play on non-streaming downloads using FLV than SWF.

• 11. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                              orionlearn Level 1

akribie wrote:

This should really be on the Flash forum, but ...

You might want to look at Cue Points, which allow you to interact with FLVs in a similar way to the keyframe method you currently use with SWF.

You'll also find that you have better control of the delay before start to play on non-streaming downloads using FLV than SWF.

Hmmm,  Interesting!   I did not realize that you can use cue points to "go to" a URL.  I have only seem it used for jumping forward or back like DVD chapters.  I do not use control buttons, so I am curious of how to make the current image on the playing flv clickable.  It would sure save a lot of work being able to isert cue points.  Just not sure how to do that.

Can you recommend a tutorial that would relate to going to a URL using cue points.  I did a quick search and did not find anything that gave me a step-by-step.

Very neat idea.  I hope I can figure it out.

Bob

• 12. Re: Creating Website Flash in Premiere
                                akribie Level 2

Stick FLASH CUE POINT into Google.

For example: http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/flash/video/cuepoints.html

You can also overlay on top of the FLV in later versions of Flash.