1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 11:48 PM by Harm Millaard

Mac User Needs Help Choosing Windows Laptop

jrberry63

Hi. I'm a former graphic designer who has been a Mac owner since 1993.

My PowerPC (pre-Intel) G5 is nearing obsoletion and I'm considering switching to a Windows 7 machine because of the budget. However, I know zero about Windows machines as far as configuring/choosing them. I'm very familiar with the CS4/CS5 hardware requirements, and I think I've found a laptop that might let me do what I want to do, which is:

• Write (in Word/Scrivener) up to novel-length documents
      • Surf the web, play Facebook games
      • use CS4 and eventually CS5 on occasion (but not nearly as heavily as before)

The computer that fits my skimpy budget (preferably $500 and under) and seems to meet the hardware requirements is this one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6664036

In brief, it's an HP G61-632NR. Major specs:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
      • AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 2.1GHz processor
      • 3GB of DDR2 memory
      • 500GB hard drive
      • DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Burner
      • Maximum Resolution:             1366 x 768
      • Hard Drive Speed:             7200 RPM
      • GPU/VPU:             ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Graphics
      • (3) USB ports
      • (1) HDMI port
      • (1) VGA port
      • WiFi/LAN/Modem ports

I realize I won't be doing heavy duty video editing or using Cubase—the G5 will work for that for another year or so, I imagine—but it's the only Windows machine with a 7200 RPM hard drive (all the others are 5400). It's the type of processor that concerns me. It's dual-core, but I don't know enough about the PC side to know if an Athlon II is the same as an Athlon Phenom II or an Athlon 64 or... well, you understand.

Thoughts? Think this machine will help me get by until I win the lottery, sell a novel, finish grad school (once I get in), and/or am able to afford to return to the Mac or a higher end PC?

It's only $449. I think I can manage that a lot easier than $2,000+.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Mac User Needs Help Choosing Windows Laptop
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you limit yourself to AI, DW, LR and PS, you may get by. For PR it is below minimum requirements in terms of monitor resolution and number of disks. If you look here PPBM5 Benchmark you will see that a single Athlon II X4 is already about 20 times slower than a decent system, so this notebook you are suggesting will be at least 30 times slower. With the budget available you will not get anything that meets minimum requirements for PR. Even for a desktop the minimum required budget for DV and HDV material with PR, is around $ 1 K.