7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 10:25 AM by Themis_37

Why does Dynamic Link take so long?

Themis_37 Level 1

Hi everyone

I was wondering whether anyone has any similar issue. I've been working on PPro CS5 on several workstations, varying from one with a Quad Core Intel proxessor, to one with an I7 920. Each time I finish a project and open up Media Encoder to export the sequence(s) to several formats, I've noticed that it takes too long to import the sequence. The weird thing is it happens to all workstations, regardless of horsepower, RAM or even HDD type. On my screen appears the message "connectiing to Dynamic Link" but everytime I have to wait several seconds (sometimes even close to 45 seconds) for the relative sequence to appear and then i can add it to the export queue. Is this a PPro CS5 bug or have I done something wrong? Is there something I can do to speed up the process?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Themis,

It would be good to include more information such as some of the systems you used, the specs, the length and type of the project you're talking about.

That being said, the easiest answer is that when you employ dynamic link in Premiere Pro, you are essentially launching a headless version of After Effects which may account for your up to 45 second delay to get it working.  Lots of memory and speedy systems are the easiest way to lower the times that you are facing.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
            Themis_37 Level 1

Sorry for the delayed reply, a lot of work came rushing in... Which is good, of course :-)

Dennis this doesn't sound that good to me. Ok, the workstation I'm working on at the moment is an I7-980 Extreme one, with 8GBs of DDR3 at 1.333 MHz RAM. That alone should account for great speed since average encoding regardless of the video length or file type is at worse half the time of the encoded video's time (e.g. a 10-minute video is encoded at about 3.5 - 4 minutes average).

Still, importing a sequence to Media Encoder - again, regardless of time length or complexity of footage - or even a single m2t file for transcoding, takes several seconds to import.What's even more weird - to reply to what you say about  launching a headless version of After Effects, Dennis - is that all PPro and AE projects open up very fast, so why would not Encoder do the same with import?

What I'm trying to say here is that a professional who spent around 1,500 euros on CPU and RAM alone is far from listed low on the horspower/speed benchmark. Not everyone can - or even needs - to have a dual quad-core Xeon machine with expensive external RAIDs to do his job, so I see no reason why a very fast workstation like the one I'm working on now, should keep him waiting on a basic job such as importing a project for transcoding. Unless, the issue here is what it always was with PPro, that after so many versions, it still requires top-notch systems to get it going well enough. Is this the case, I wonder?

• 3. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What you have to take into account is your memory on this system. The X58 can use triple channel memory, but you have disabled that by using 8 GB. So your memory is far less efficient than in triple channel mode. Secondly, 8 GB is really around the bare minimum, especially when DL'ing, because now that limited memory has to be used by two active applications, PR and EN. You would profit from 12 or 24 GB, depending on the size of your installed sticks.

It is possible that with this limited memory, the pagefile is being used and then the question is where is it located and is it a static or dynamic file?

• 4. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
                Themis_37 Level 1

Sounds like a really helpful answer, Harm, but please give me some more info. Suppose additional RAM is installed, going from 8 GBs to 24, is there something else one should do? When I use Media Encoder, I never run PPro at the background. How can one locate the pagesys file and know whether it's a static or dynamic file? Can this be changed to get Media Encoder go faster?

• 5. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Couple of alternatives for your memory:

1. You currently have 4 x 2 GB sticks. Get 2 extra sticks to make it 12 GB.

2. You currently have 2 x 4 GB sticks. Get 1 extra stick to make is 12 GB or 4 extra sticks to make it 24 GB.

Your pagefile is best set to static by using the same min and max values. You go to Control Panel/Advanced Settings/Advanced/Performance Settings/Advanced and then Virtual Memory Change. I suggest to set min and max to around 12 GB.

For you other workstations, keep in mind that P55 mobo's use dual channel memory, so install sticks in multiples of two. For X58 mobo's use multiples of three sticks.

This says Vista but also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

at I think that Harm has covered the bases, but let me just add that adding some memory is one of the cheapest ways to get a performance boost when dealing with applications like Adobe and others.

Breaking it down on an 8GB system could be something like this:

1GB of active memory for the OS (conservative)

1GB of memory that is left by Adobe apps for other programs

2-3GB of memory for Premiere Pro for HD projects (much more for long form work)

2-3GB of memory for After Effects (more for bigger comps)

1-2GB of memory for Adobe Media Encoder

Photoshop?

Encore?

That isn't to say that 8GB is inadequate - not so, but you can't ask for incredible performance if you're starving your CPU cores for memory.  Here's an older blog entry from Todd that talks about RAM+CPUs for AE but is also applicable for Premiere Pro:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.html

Cheers,

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why does Dynamic Link take so long?
                      Themis_37 Level 1

As it turns out, experience made the big difference. After setting min and max memory to 12GBs, things are waaaay different! I have a 15 GB partition on a separate internal drive on a quad core system set to be system managed. As soon as I made the above change, things are much much faster and Premiere runs much better. I can only imagine how better this will be at the I7 workstation! Previously, only 9 GBs were available for the system, but this change has been a revelation! Sure one can grow to learn and this is the beauty of it! Thanks a lot, guys :-)