4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2010 8:24 AM by Ara514

Incorrect project settings - solution?

Ara514

I've been dabbling at Premiere Elements 7 for awhile now, and finally got serious about creating a project and seeing it through to the end result. I had a lot of fun editing, but am experiencing errors when rendering / writing to disk. I've consulted the wealth of info on this site (impressive!) and I'm trying to work my way through the basic troubleshooting.

In so doing, I've discovered that I have committed a classic newbie mistake - I didn't select the proper project settings, and I now realize that these settings are not changeable midway through. Just lovely! I shot my clips with a Sony HDR-XR500V. I selected Full HD 1080i 30 as the setting, but I should have selected the 5.1 channel option. I'm not sure whether this is the cause of the problems I'm experiencing, but it seems to be a serious enough error in V7 that I need to fix it before digging any deeper.

I haven't been able to find a clear answer about whether there is any way around this mistake short of starting over (and that's not a pleasant option). Can I export the timeline and import the resulting clip to a new project using the proper settings? I tried this, using the following settings:

File type: DV-AVI

Pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

Rendering options - Bit depth: No fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio compressor: Uncompressed

I've also read about using Clipmate to copy my timeline to a new project. I'm not sure which is the better option, and whether either will preserve the quality of the original footage. Can anyone point me in the right direction?