3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 12:31 AM by pwillener

Cannot launched Adobe reader - either version 9.4 or 10

ksloh4ever

Hi,

I recieved the error message below when launched the adobe reader version 9.4 or version 10 (Reader X).

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I have been googgling for few weeks for the solutions but still doesn't worked. I have tried the following:

1) Repaired the installation

2) Installed the latest version

3) Installed to different path

4) Performed registry cleanup using various cleanup utilities and install again

5) Run as administrator

6) Set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2

I am currently using Windows 7 Professional OS.

This has forced me to use other PDF reader instead of Adobe Reader! Hope anyone here can help to resolve this issue, thanks in advanced!

cheers

• 1. Re: Cannot launched Adobe reader - either version 9.4 or 10
          pwillener Level 8

How do you launch Adobe Reader - from a shortcut, or by double-clicking on a PDF file?

Does C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe actually exist?

If launching from a shortcut, is the above path and program name in the shortcut* in single quotes ( ' ) or double quotes ( " )?

If from a PDF file, is the above path and program name in the file association** in single quotes ( ' ) or double quotes ( " )?

*) right-click on the shortcut | Properties.  The path and program should be in the 'Shortcut' tab.

**) open Windows Explorer, Tools | Folder Options | tab File Types.  Locate the PDF entry, select it and click 'Advanced'.  On the panel that opens click 'Edit'; you should now see the path and program to open a PDF file.  (This method is from an older Windows version and could be slightly different on Windows 7.)

• 2. Re: Cannot launched Adobe reader - either version 9.4 or 10
            ksloh4ever Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried the following but it still encountered the same error message.

- Launched Adobe Reader (AcroRd32.exe) from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.

- Launched from the shortcut, have checked the path and program name are in double quotes ( " ) which are correct settings.

- Checked the file association in "Set Default Programs" option. Confirmed the .PDF is associated to the Adobe Reader program, which is correct too. Re-associated .PDF to the adobe reader again.

- Double-clicked the .PDF file also encountered the  same error message.

• 3. Re: Cannot launched Adobe reader - either version 9.4 or 10
              pwillener Level 8

This is very strange - especially if you launch the executable program direcly.

Sorry, I have no explanation for this.