21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 5:06 PM by Ted Smith

I don't believe it?!

nealeh Level 5

I can't resist posting this. When I had a job introducing new systems and processes to large enterprises it never failed to amaze that, in the early weeks, the 'old' systems were damned to hell. But, a few months down the line, they achieved some kind of mythical perfection as users resisted the change to the new system and processes.

So who, a year ago, could ever imagine seeing this in an online review:

From Amazon UK

The addition of useful editing facilities for sound in 9 is a good reason for buying it, but not good enough, and my recommendation would be not to waste your money on Premiere Elements 9 and stick to 8, which is what I have had to revert to.

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: I don't believe it?!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wow! That's an interesting review, Neale -- especially since version 9 has at least half a dozen new audio effects!

Oh well. It's always wise to take these Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. I remember once reading a review for a coffee maker that I'd recently bought (and loved). The reviewer complained that you had to wait for it to warm the water before it made coffee!

• 2. Re: I don't believe it?!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

This sort of thing has been around for quite a while. Versions of PrPro, that were universally panned, seem to have taken on the role of being a venerable "go-to" later on. Often, those who tout the older versions, were the strongest critics, when they were new.

It does surprise me, that PrE 8 would become "vaunted," but that is just life - I guess.

Hunt

• 3. Re: I don't believe it?!
              P_Forrest Level 1

I bought the PE9 download (after the CS5 suite) because I was not ready to make the CS5 jump and I liked the idea that PE9 recognized the video format and would change the project format to match it.  It does...

PE8 never worked well on my PC from 2004 (understandably), but PE7 was rock solid, but the rendering time was the biggest part of the waiting game.   That's understandable with my old PC. 

I guess I was just surprised that PE9 crashed a few times on my new PC, after I just deleted a AVCHD clip from the timeline.  I think it doesn't like when you (by default) import the AVCHD clips directly to the timeline.  Anyway...  I could not be more happier with Premiere Pro CS5.   It's a beauty to work with and audio mixing is worth the upgrade itself.   Hunt's book recommendations help a lot.

I just need to get a handle on After Effects exporting....

Petey

• 4. Re: I don't believe it?!
                Ted Smith Level 3

Is it really true that the latest premier pro does not run on 32bit machines & XP?

• 5. Re: I don't believe it?!
                  P_Forrest Level 1

Yes.  It's a 64-bit application.  You need to upgrade your OS and hardware.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Also, if one goes to Windows 7, be aware that other programs, printers, etc.. might not work and you need to buy new ones.  My old laser printer had to be given away because its "iffy" Windows 7 drivers didn't work.   That goes for MP3 players, etc...

Petey

• 6. Re: I don't believe it?!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Petey points out, PrPro CS5 is 64-bit ONLY. Now, if one buys CS5 (any of the suites) now, PrPro CS4 is included, as it is 32-bit, so one could run the full suite (32-bit versions of all programs in the suite somewhere) now, but still have the full CS5 64-bit, when they change their OS. Note: some programs, like Adobe Encore (authoring app), are still 32-bit apps., but run fine on 64-bit OS's. IIRC, if one were just to buy the CS5 of PrPro (get Encore and On-Location included), and not one of the suites, like Production Premium, or Master Collection, they ONLY get PrPro CS5, which will be 64-bit only - no PrPro CS4 in 32-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: I don't believe it?!
                      P_Forrest Level 1

Good to know!

Thanks, Hunt.

Petey

• 8. Re: I don't believe it?!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Though I'd never say that "Adobe thought of EVERYTHING," with CS5 and the suites, they did offer a user some options, based on the OS.

The full 64-bit OS requirement can pose problems for a user with legacy OS's, and I feel that it's why Adobe has yet to offer a full 64-bit PrE. Maybe PrE 10?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I don't believe it?!
                          P_Forrest Level 1

When I went from Win 98 to XP, I had to get some new hardware due to incompatibilities.  I waited six years to buy a new PC but the main reason was to get the CS5 suite.   I was concerned about all my existing software (Finale, Sibelius, Sonar,etc….) but I had to go the 64 bit route.

Windows 7 is stable but it has forced me to give away a perfectly good parallel laser printer (didn’t work with the USB adapter cable and Brother’s dodgy Win 7 drivers)-- Acrobat 8 doesn’t work with Win 7, -- and my Zen MP3 player luckily had compatible hardware that it “might” but you’re on your own according to Creative.  I got it to work.   Phew!  Before, it only worked with proprietary software.   I’m also having some recording sound issues with the Fatality soundcard, but working them out.

Luckily, Premiere Pro is working like a charm.   I love the way it doesn’t ripple delete/edit by default!  Woohoo!  I used to get annoyed by PE doing that by default and my clips would get clipped or move.   I also like how one can LOCK the clips.   Also, it’s so easy to add an audio effect like the DENOISER into the audio mixer.   I’m checking out Soundbooth (I also bought Audition) but I’m having microphone input issues with these ASIO drivers.

A new PC is too much work!

Petey

• 10. Re: I don't believe it?!
                            Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Bill,

You keep use all sane. I am still a LUDITE using Premiere Elements 4 for basics converting h.264mov to avi and also, burn easily to Blu-ray after major editing in Premiere Pro and Export, the new i7 64 bit quad core has rejuvinated the old Adobe software , I will move eventually ?

• 11. Re: I don't believe it?!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey Bob,

I am also still on PrE 4.0, but do feel that when I get the new workstation and laptop, I do need to upgrade, if for no other reason, than to be able to answer PrE 9 specific issues, and to test some of the issues that others are having with displays, etc.

I've got CS5 just sitting and waiting for those new computers. Hope to place the final orders in late Dec., or early Jan, when we return to the US.

Hunt

• 12. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                P_Forrest Level 1

With Hunt having PE9 and PremPro CS5 fired up one day soon...  I will rest easy.  8-)

Petey

• 13. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that it's not THAT far in the future. That CS5 Production Suite is burning a hole in the case!

Also, my wife has just gotten a new still camera and its RAW files will not work in my older version of ACR in Photoshop, and I need the newer version of PS, to get the newer version of PS - which is in that same case.

Then, all will be fine with my world, or as I know it.

Hunt

• 14. Re: I don't believe it?!

Thanks, hope the trip is going ok, Sydney is still there.

• 15. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm hoping that it will be at the end of next week! Looking forward to seeing the city and also having some fine OZ wines. Not sure if we'll get into any of the closer wine-regions, but that would be a big plus for both of us.

Wife has booked a Sydney Opera House Behind the Scenes tour, and we do want to spend one day sailing about the harbor. Most of the rest will just be fine-dining, and I have good info on that - should be great.

When back, I'll get serious about the new computers.

Hunt

• 16. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                        P_Forrest Level 1

While Hunt and his wife are waltzing (à la Mathilde) across Australia in fine form and style, he is always so humble to check back in on the Premiere Elements forum to help out whomever.  He might be fighting off sharks while casually sailing off the Great Barrier Reef, or merely imbibing in the operatic "coulisses" of the Sydney Opera House, but our favorite "bon vivant" of the Premiere Elements group is always ready to help out as resident sommelier and videographer!

Hats off, mate!   hehehe!

All the best on your trip and safe return!

Petey

• 17. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                          Ted Smith Level 3

Being an Aussie I am ashamed of the standard of food offerred to tourists in Sydney.

Most of the touristy restaurants (like those near the Opera House and Darling Harbour) have been bought out by gentlemen of oriental origin.

Can you imagine an "authentic" European style resturant owned and run by those people? Yuck!

The only place for Chinese food is in China Town where it is better than in China!

On the other hand there are a number of small extremely good small resturants of all types in the suburbs - ask the locals.

Ted

• 18. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As we will be in Sydney "city center," all of our evening dining will be near-by. Here is the list:

Glass Brasserie (staying at the Hilton)
                                            Quay
                                            Sepia
                                            Becasse
                                            Assiette

Thanks for the comments,

Hunt

• 19. Re: I don't believe it?!

Hi Bill,

I thought the Hilton was near The Rocks area under the bridge, walk around there near Circular Quay , take a ferry to Manly, not bad eating places ?

Enjoy the visit

Regards,

Bob

• 20. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks! We'll be seeking out lunch spots, so we're always open to suggestions.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 21. Re: I don't believe it?!
                                                  Ted Smith Level 3

There are some nice eating places around the rocks area but avoid the ones on the waterfront at Circular Quay or Darling Harbour even though some have a great view over the harbour. Some are no better than aeroplane food.

Hilton of course is very good if you can afford it

The Opera House resturant is good.

Don't be afraid to ask the locals.