10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 11:17 AM by A.T. Romano

Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(

km79 Level 1
      Hi,

I created my own template for DVD menus. Everything work fine except from the highlighting of selected menu items:

I draw a filled rectangle to be visible as a background layer if an element  is selected. But the rectangle always appears in the front of the  selected item (its text and video image). I tried different orders of  layers in Photoshop CS5 were I created the .psd file for the template.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7051&d=1290877236Are there any chances to get the layer for the item highlighting in the background of the item's text?

Many Thanks
      Konrad

• 1. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, there is a specific layer structure and naming structure to each of the layers in a Premiere Elements DVD template. (I explain each in the book and why it's important, by the way.) Unless a highlight layer is named correctly and in the proper place in a layer set, it won't work. But, without seeing a screen capture of your Layers panel with all the layers expanded, I can't say what's up on your case.

I've also noticed that some colors don't show up as highlights. If you stick with web safe colors, though, you should be okay.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
            km79 Level 1

Thank you for you fast awnser.

Here is a screenshot of my layer structure:

photoshop-highlight2.jpg

Regarding the colors:

I notices that the solid color (light red) of the highlighting box in the PE previews of the menu wasn't that solid anymore - there were gray block artefacts. But for the moment, the color isn't my problem ;-)

• 3. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but there are some limitations with regards to Subpicture Highlights:

1.) by the DVD specs., they can ONLY be 2-bit color - either ON, or OFF, so no Feathering, etc.

2.) Subpicture Highlights WILL appear OVER all elements in a Button, so one is forced to deal with the 2-bit (rather rough looking) color.

There are some workarounds, regarding the Subpicture Highlights, and this ARTICLE will give you some tips there. With the semi-automatic authoring, and the use of Menu Sets by PrE, there is a bit more work involved, and as Steve mentions, must follow specific guidelines.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Color could well be your problem. The naming and layer hierarchy seem right.

• 5. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                  km79 Level 1

I tried it with a websave color for the highlight (#F00).

That's the item without highlight:

item1.jpg

That's it with the mouseover highlight in the preview of PE:

item2.jpg

And that's how it should look like:

item3.jpg

I think I give up and try a red border instead of a red filled rectangle.

From the computer scientist point of view, I can understand the behaviour. May be the whole layers of the menu (without the highlights) are stored as one single image. And the highlight layer(s) of a selected item are just blended over this image - there are probably no place for ordered layers provided in a DVD menu.

Many thanks

Konrad

• 6. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Konrad,

With DVD Subpicture Highlights, the Highlight will ALWAYS be on top of everything else in the Button's structure. There is no way around this, as it is part of the DVD-spec. The article that I linked to will tell you how to "punch a hole" in the Subpicture Highlight, so that the other elements in the Button structure will not be covered by the Subpicture Highlight, as it will have "holes" in it.

In your case, there are two design methods that will work:

1.) the "outline" that you mention, which is the easiest way

2.) punching holes in the Subpicture Highlight, as described in the article, but with your Buttons, that will require some Photoshop work with Masks on the Subpicture Highlight Layer.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Konrad

Konrad

As I promised in another forum, I have looked into a how to for your original DVD Menu goal and found it quite doable without having to invoke higher end products or principles…just using the basic principles of Photoshop later than CS or Photoshop Elements 6 or later.

The following are 3 screenshots (I did the testing with Photoshop Elements 8, using the General/Generic One DVD Template:

a. What one scene thumbnail in the Scene Selection Menu looked like before the highlight

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=11YPBt7d5h3nZSnXlHKu8KqNmyjOd

b. What the same scene thumbnail in the Scene Selection Menu looked like after the highlight

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xFWc40BeeEyrifSrr75cAthxsk0W1

c. What the major (+) Scene Menu Layer Set Looked like to achieve this goal

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=13COE1K5PxwlIjlktFG6seiEeTZw6

Please note what I did with the Layer Masks. I used black for the color of the block that I made in the thumbnail part of (%) video Layer, but could have used another color that you might see or even a picture. I decided to place a very light colored background on the Background Layer, but in one scenario did not…just left thumbnail for video scene with its text to its right and changed the Blend Mode of the highlight layer to Overlay. Looked good that way too.

But in the long run, I think that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in your design, using such long thumbnail text which no doubt will limit the number of scenes per Scene Selection Page and consequently force generation of additional Scene Selection Pages.

But, if I understood correctly what you wanted to do, then I think that I have pointed you in the direction of how to do it without a lot of complicated details. Please contact me if you have any further questions on this matter.

Thanks.  I hope this works for you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Nice illustrations. That is the gist of my "Punching a Hole in Subpicture Highlights" article. Since the Subpicture Highlight will always appear on top of the other objects in the Buttons' structure, the "hole" is the way around it. This also works well with Text, though one would want a Bold, or Black font, as cutting the hole to allow a serif font, or one with delicate ascenders or descenders would look pretty rough, as Subpicture Highlights are but 2-bit color - either ON, or OFF, and anything like Anti-alias, or Feather, has to be simulated.

For the OP's use, having the hole over the thumbnail and also around the Text would be effective. In lieu of that (a little bit of work), a nice border around the entire Button would suffice.

Very good job, and thank you,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                          km79 Level 1

ATR: Many, many thanks for that great piece of work!

It's exactly what I wanted in the end - I tried it and it works fine

The trick is the Overlay-BlendMode for the highlight layer in combination with the hole/mask for the video thumbnail.

But in the long run, I think that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in your design, using such long thumbnail text which no doubt will limit the number of scenes per Scene Selection Page and consequently force generation of additional Scene Selection Pages.

No, that's exactly what I wanted: Since the most menu layouts arrange the scene thumbs in a horizontal or rectangular way, I wanted a simple vertical list of  all scenes - with the option the switch to the next page at the bottom and to the previous page at the top. Without the need of left-right navigation.

But, if I understood correctly what you wanted to do, then I think that I have pointed you in the direction of how to do it without a lot of complicated details. Please contact me if you have any further questions on this matter.

Exactly :-)

Thanks again - your posting may be help for future template develpopers :-)

Konrad

Message was edited by: km79

• 10. Re: Highlighting in DVD templates always in front of selected item :-(
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Konrad

Thank you very much for the follow up information. Glad that worked for you and hope it helps others as well.

As a side note, I was particularly pleased with the results that I obtained in one scenario with which I experimented....when changing the Blend Mode from Normal to Overlay for that highlight Layer.

Continued success in your projects.

ATR