9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2010 5:42 PM by able123

Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate

Chono H

Is there a way i can edit HD movie in a lower bitrate for better workflow, and then when im finished edititing the movie, i can export the movie out in original HD bitrate.

• 1. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
          shooternz Level 6

Yep.

Convert all your HD footage to DV.

But then you wil lhave to manage your way to conforming back to original HD files for out put.

It can be done.

• 2. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
            Chono H Level 1

So you would reckon something like importing HD into project, convert to DV, edi movie, convert back to HD, and export?

• 3. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
              Level 4

I think shooternz is saying put your stuff on your hard drive, hd and dv...import dv, edit and then replace all clips etc with HD...then export...kinda like a proxy edit....you edit the dv, then replace all dv with HD, then hope to heck your computer is powerful enough to export the HD...to your final product..just a guess...  means manipulating the folders and having identical file names for all your clips ( dv and hd but in separate folders so you can relink everything when done )

• 4. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                Chono H Level 1

Thx .. yeah just watched a tutorial on keeping 2 sets of files, DV and HD. Make offline, link files, edit etc.

Is there a fast way to batch convert all filles to DV ..Adobe Media encoder or something?

• 5. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                  Level 4

my experience has been that NOTHING is fast...sorry....there may be faster WAYS to do some stuff, than some SLOWER ways...but basically if you want to do this stuff it takes a lot of time no matter what you do and you just have to maybe time things so you

1) start batch processing and go to sleep and when you wake up maybe it will be done     OR

2) get someone else to do it

• 6. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                    Chono H Level 1

Hehe yeah i kinda got to the same conclusion ... ... what you reckon a good offline bitrate/filetype/resolution is?

• 7. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                      Level 4

dont know, never did it...

I did edit one thing ONLINE..then switch the files to HD....in other words, I would maybe consider having your assets dv and hd separate..

edit the dv stuff online...like thats your project ....back it up, copies, etc...do your edit...

then when done dump the dv stuff, by moving your assets from one folder to another...swith them out...and if everyhthing is named exactly the same you should be able to just reopen the project and ( magic ) now you have the HD stuff there instead of dv..if your machine can handle it.

Then just export your final product from there and pray a lot.

Its not unlike what an intermediate FCP ( prores ) file does with footage...but in this case its not mac and not prores... but back it all up etc cause who knows what will happen when you switch out the files.

as far as size for dv goes, keep your apect ratio and frame rate and so on and do custom, desktop whatever ( anamorphic ) whatever you have to do to edit the real "final" product with the hd footage....you know?...do a small test first and see if it works OK, through the whole thing...including burning blue ray or deliver to whatever you need for final product... little test and see if it works...then go for it ( remember your machine capablilities ...or you'll have to transfer everything to external drives and bring to post house instead )

• 8. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                        Chono H Level 1

Think ill try this method ... reckon i can use lower resolution, if i keep aspect ratio and while editing just set the low res  clips to scale to framesize?

• 9. Re: Edit in lower bitrate and export in higher bitrate
                          Level 4

dont know...never did it.

wouldnt use "scale to framesize" I dont think ...try to do it small maybe...dont know, gotta test it