7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2011 10:17 PM by mrcardoso

Please help me install this audio player!

dustinsanders1987 Level 1

Hello anyone reading this,

I am very new to designing a website, and decided to venture out and add some audio to it.  I am a piano instructor and am VERY determined to do this.

I recently purchased some files from this site:

http://www.flashcomponents.net/component/advanced-mp3-player-with-play list-totally-customizable-xml-driven.html

That is the same exact one I purchased.

I recently engaged in a little email session with the author / developer and he was sending me emails that had a lot of technical language of which I couldn't understand.  I needed help, and he didn't seem to pay much attention to my problem, just kept repeating the same thing.

I eventually was able to research his terminology and I finally got around to being able to comprehend his 'steps' listed for me to get this thing up and running.

He basically said everything I needed was in a folder titled 'deploy' ... and that I just copy that folder into my Dreamweaver site project , along with my images, root folder, etc.  Ok, easy enough.  I did that.

His next step was to insert the .swf file into my web page in Dreamweaver.  Ok, easy enough.  Did that.  BUT, there is a problem.  A fairly large grey box shows up with an F inside it.  This is in 'design' view.  In 'Live view', I see nothing at all of the player, just a large grey box with no F inside it.

The peculiar thing is that there are 3 files inside this 'deploy' folder that when I double click them ... a beautiful audio mp3 player pops up and performs perfectly.  It's the real thing.  Just when I insert the .swf file into my site, nothing at all happens.  And this was what the guy told me to do.

Since then he stopped corresponding with me.  Not sure why.  Here are the files I have in 'Deploy'.

playlist.xml

playerstyles.css

playersettings_v4.xml

Mp3player_v4.swf

index.php

index.html

BG.jpg

AC_RunActiveContent.js

The 2 index files open up a perfect audio player as shown on the site.  So does the Mp3player_f4.swf.

I also have a folder called 'scripts' that has 2 scripts listed for the audio player.

swfobject_modified.js

expressInstall.swf

Please oh please, if any of this makes any sense and if what I typed is a symptom of something, please help me.  I am desperate as all the research I've done is getting me nowhere!!!

• 1. Re: Please help me install this audio player!

Here is my website for reference.

http://www.prodigypianostudios.com

I just uploaded the swf file onto my site, even though it doesn't do anything.  Maybe there is some code you guys can check out ... I'm still totally clueless.  I've been trying everything, searching every forum and every post.  Still nothing that helps me.

• 2. Re: Please help me install this audio player!
            adninjastrator Level 4

The problem is most likely a pathing issue. That is, since the "deploy/index.html" works just fine, that indicates that the path from the .swf file to the .xml configuration and the audio files is "pathed" to work when all 3 of those files are in the same folder.

When you placed the .swf on a Web page which is NOT in the "deploy" folder, you are, in effect, removing the .swf from the "deploy" folder and placing it in the same folder as your web page.... so what??

Well that .swf is expecting to find the xml files in the same folder that it's in.... so the path to finding the xml and audio files is broken.

Contrary to common myth, you can put any of the Flash related files in whatever folders you want! They DO NOT need to be in the same folder. BUT, you need to correct the path from the .swf to the other Flash related files (the .xml and the mp3) to be RELATIVE to the location of the .swf on the Web page, NOT the physical location of the .swf.

You should be able to correct your problem by changing the paths shown in the playersettings_v4.xml

<playersettings>
            <record>
              <xmlAudioPlaylistPath>playlist.xml</xmlAudioPlaylistPath>
              <cssStylesPath>playerstyles.css</cssStylesPath>

From the Web page, the path to the playlist.xml is "deploy/playlist.xml".... same with the playerstyles..

Make the changes and save this file in the same folder as your Web page, not in "deploy"

You may also have to alter the paths to the mp3 files to be relative to the Web page, not the physical location of the "playlist.xml"

<mp3List>
            <record>
              <title>This title is longer than text area. It will autoscroll. </title>
              <author>Author</author>
              <mp3>sounds/GhostPiano.mp3</mp3>
            </record>

Relative to the Web page, the path to the mp3s is "deploy/sound/GhostPiano.mp3"

Play with this a little... I'm pretty sure you can get it going just by correcting the pathing.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 3. Re: Please help me install this audio player!

Thank you so much for the post!  I thought I did what you mentioned ... a few things I noticed. 

Under my 'deploy' folder ... I went to playersettings_v4 and changed the paths under the playlist and the CSSstyles to the following:

<xmlAudioPlaylistPath>deploy/playlist.xml</xmlAudioPlaylistPath>
                <cssStylesPath>deploy/playerstyles.css</cssStylesPath>

Then I tested out the index.html and the index.php files that are located in 'deploy'

They didn't work.  no image at all ... nothing. 

I went back and erased the deploy/ from the xml audio playlist path and the css styles path as mentioned above .... and of course they worked perfectly fine again. 

But also  ... here is a strange thing as well.  I went back and added the deploy/   to the playlist.sml and playerstyles.css again ...

I noticed that as I said the index.html and the index.php didn't work ... but the mp3player_v4.swf STILL worked perfectly fine.  All 3 of those files are under 'deploy'

I have 2 questions ... when I double click on the large grey box after inserting the swf file into dreamweaver ... a page shows up and at the very bottom it asks if I want the URL relative to the template.dwt folder and shows the following in the URL box:

../deploy/mp3player_v4.swf

when I choose relative to the site root, it shows this:

/deploy/mp3player_v4.swf  

Is this important at all? 

Also, a peculiar thing happened as well as I was playing around with things. 

I moved the mp3player_v4.swf to other folders ... IMAGES, SCRIPTS, etc ... and it didn't play.  I assume this is quite natural.  But again, it plays perfectly fine inside the deploy folder.  Even without changing the playlist and cssstyles to /deploy ...

you also told me to do the following:

***Make the changes and save this file in the same folder as your Web page, not in "deploy"***

If I didn't do this correctly , would the entire plan have failed?  I tried to do this, thought I did it, but maybe did not do it.  I was adding the swf to my template page ... which is in it's own folder.  Perhaps I am over thinking this? 

All in all, I wasn't able to fix the problem.  I just feel like it's such an easy thing to fix, if I can just pinpoint the problem ... and when I downloaded the product there was nothing at all in the way of a help section, or 'read me' text.  This is just painful! 

• 4. Re: Please help me install this audio player!

I should add this as well I belive.  This is what the flash author (I believe he is the author) wrote to me. 

ALL YOU NEED is in "deploy" folder including the swf. Copy on your website the content of deploy folder and use index.html as demo. The code you need to insert in your site is in index.html
                Should you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again
                Best Regards,
                Laurence
                Then he wrote this:
                Can you please send me the FTP data to your account and I'll insert it for you
                Best Regards,
                Laurence
                What does he mean by 'inserting the code'?  There are no instructions anywhere!

• 5. Re: Please help me install this audio player!
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Your testing confirms my suspicion that it’s a pathing problem

“Then I tested out the index.html and the index.php files that are located in 'deploy'

They didn't work.  no image at all ... nothing. “

That is working correctly. If you path it to work from the Web page, of course it will not work from “index.html” in the deploy folder… it’s not supposed to. It’s supposed to work from the Web page one folder level up. Did you test it from YOUR Web page after changing the paths?

“I noticed that as I said the index.html and the index.php didn't work ... but the mp3player_v4.swf STILL worked perfectly fine.  All 3 of those files are under 'deploy'”

This is also to be expected, because when testing the .swf directly (not on YOUR Web page), the paths in the xml file to the mp3s is correct. But remember, when you place that .swf on YOUR Web page, you are removing the .swf from “deploy” and placing it in the same folder as your Web page….. it’s not in deploy anymore.

“Also, a peculiar thing happened as well as I was playing around with things. “

Well for testing you could take everthing out of “deploy” and move it into the same folder as YOUR Web page and just change the path on your web page to the .swf (delete the “deploy/” part). Now every thing is in the root folder, there is no deploy folder, only a “sound” folder which holds the mp3s and the palyer would work just fine, because RELATIVE to the location of the .swf on the WEB PAGE, all the paths are correct.

But then you don’t really learn how to resolve pathing issues.

• 6. Re: Please help me install this audio player!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP, I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

The problem was stupid.  My template page was not in my root folder, but in a separate 'template' folder.  So every time I inserted the swf into my template, nothing showed up even though the pathing was all correct.  What I did was drag the deploy files into my root folder, and then inserted into my template.  Still nothing happened on template, BUT all my other pages have the thing playing on them cause they are all in my root folder. 

I tried putting my template in my root folder, but it still wouldn't work.  That's what was confusing me.  I kept testing it from the template, not my index.html home page. 

Thanks again. 

• 7. Re: Please help me install this audio player!
                      mrcardoso

Hi, and about get 2 swf players in the same html? I can get the 2 audio players to run, but playing the same list music. I know there is an AS file named AudioPlayerClass which called this "playersettings_v4.xml", responsable for all settings.

Please help me.

Thanks,

Fabio