6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 7:20 PM by pixlor

Travel Agent Template?

StanWelks Level 1

Is it possible to create a file similar to the Travel Agent Template that comes with CS5 and have it be fully functional when exported from

FW CS5? Currently, the tabs do not function when I export it and test it. OR does this have to be done with Dreamweaver?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Travel Agent Template?
          pixlor Level 4

Fireworks is a prototyping/design and graphics application. It is not a WYSIWYG HTML/CSS authoring environment. You are always better off writing your code in Dreamweaver.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Travel Agent Template?
            StanWelks Level 1

understood, it does write code for other things, so I was wondering if it also did this?

• 3. Re: Travel Agent Template?
              pixlor Level 4

The code FW writes is for prototyping. It's not at a quality level that you would want to use for a live site. It's good enough to show people the idea of what you want to accomplish, but it isn't robust, it's very ugly, and would be horrible to modify or maintain. (I know. I've looked at the stuff. Gives me the screaming heebie jeebies just thinking about looking at any more! )

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Travel Agent Template?
                StanWelks Level 1

Is the code ineffective, slow, or just ugly and hard to modify? If I am not planning to modify the code, is it still a bad idea to use code generated by FW for projects?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Travel Agent Template?
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

Generally, yes, if you're doing professional level work. About the only way around this is using the CSS and Images export workflow but that requires tweaking and modification in Dreamweaver, which means you need to know CSS and HTML.

Jim

• 6. Re: Travel Agent Template?
                    pixlor Level 4

To be clear, by "modify the code," I mean to include situations such as, "I exported from Fireworks with two-sentences of place-holding text. Now I've edited that to be my six paragraphs of real text and my design is broken. Help!" Everything in an HTML or CSS file is code. The only parts of a Web page that are not code are the images.