3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2006 7:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

Color problem

Baazy
      Hi there,

I am a relatively unexperienced Fireworks user and have the following problem:

I designed a file which I now want to print on colored paper. As the color of the paper will logically influence the way the print looks like, I wondered whether it is possible to somehow change the colors in such a way that the colors on the print-out will look the same as the colors on the screen

Thanks for your help
        • 1. Re: Color problem
          Level 7
          On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:04:16 +0400, Baazy <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
          wrote:

> Hi there,
          >
          > I am a relatively unexperienced Fireworks user and have the following
          > problem:
          >
          > I designed a file which I now want to print on colored paper. As the
          > color of
          > the paper will logically influence the way the print looks like, I
          > wondered
          > whether it is possible to somehow change the colors in such a way that
          > the
          > colors on the print-out will look the same as the colors on the screen
          >

Hm, interesting question. So far I can't figure out any reliable solution
          beside some weird tricks in Photoshop. I sort of have an idea but it would
          require image merge modes like "Add" and "Subtract" that FW seem to miss.
          Any chances you have some other image editor?

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Color problem
            Baazy Level 1
            Sorry, I only have the whole Macromedia Suite, hence if there is anything that Freehand can do...
            • 3. Re: Color problem
              Level 7
              On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:42:31 +0400, Baazy <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
              wrote:

> Sorry, I only have the whole Macromedia Suite, hence if there is
              > anything that Freehand can do...

Oookaaay... here go my weird and completely untested idea:

1) Make some small rectangle and fill it with color that is as close to
              paper color as possible.

2) Go to Filters -> Adjust Color -> Invert. Agree to convert to bitmap.

3) Measure resulting inverted colors with eyedropper. Remember to click on
              that color week symbol to get the picker showing colors as RGB 0..255
              digits, not as Web alphanumerical values. Write resulting values on a
              piece of paper, lets say they are equal to "r", "g" and "b", respectively.
              You no longer need the rectangle ofter that.

4) Now go to your image and choose Effects -> Adjust Colors -> Levels
              (select your object or group of objects before). In the Levels dialog,
              switch from RGB to Red and do the following: in "Input" high value
              (rightmost field), type in the value equal to "255-r" (I mean, 255 *minus*
              r). In "Output" low value (leftmost), type in the value equal to "r". Then
              proceed with similar editing for Green and Blue. Hit "Ok".

5) Try to print one sample on your paper and tell us what happened. I'm
              very much interested to know if it works. I'm foreseeing many sources of
              problems with this simplified approach but heck, result may be better than
              I expect, and most likely would be better than that from straight print.

So give it a try and tell us what happened, it's an interesting and
              unusual problem.

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters