6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 11:49 AM by Riff88

website pages scamled

Riff88 Level 1

Hallo,

I am building a website in flash 8 and I'm having a problem with the pages.

The pages get scrambled once I publish and test it for instance the one page shows and then the next and then another - all after another in rapid succession.

I have the following layers:

1. Background - 20 (Where layer stops)
      2. Template - 20 (home)
      3. Buttons 20 (the "20" layers will eventually change once the site grows bigger)
      4. page two- 2
      5. page thee - 11 (has 9 pages on its own)
      6. page four - 12

now, the pages only jump around ONCE I ADD PAGE 4 - which is a movie.

The movie is an .SWF and works fine on its own. The movieload tutorial is correct and works.

There are also buttons on page 4 with button commands - I removed them and tested the published website without the buttons but they continue to jump around.

I hope someone can help.
      Thanks!
        • 1. Re: website pages scamled
          adninjastrator Level 4

First off be sure you are stopping the playhead on each page. If each page is only one frame, then

stop():

in the first frame, actions layer of each page.

If there is some animation or if each page is more than one frame

stop();

in the last frame, actions layer of the page.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 2. Re: website pages scamled
            Riff88 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little confused.

First off be sure you are stopping the playhead on each page. If each page is only one frame, then

stop(): add a stop to each frame - I understand

in the first frame, actions layer of each page.

If there is some animation or if each page is more than one frame

stop();

in the last frame, actions layer of the page.

You'll have to rewrite that paragraph, it's very confusing.

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: website pages scamled
              adninjastrator Level 4

The idea is to be sure and stop the playhead from playing frame1, then 2, then 3, etc....

If each page is just one frame, stop(): the playhead at each frame until you click a navigation button and go to page two.

But if the page has some sort of animation on it that makes the page MORE than 1 frame, if you stop(); in the first frame of that page, the animation will not play... the playhead has been stopped.

So if "Page two" is 10 frames long, you don't want to stop in Frame 1, because there are 9 other frames that must play... you want it to stop at the end of those 10 frames... so in frame 10, add a new keyframe to the actions layer and put the stop(); action there. If you don't, all 10 frames of page two will play and then the playhead will jump to page 3! not what you wanted.

Best wishes,

Adninajstrator

• 4. Re: website pages scamled
                Riff88 Level 1

Okay, I understand better now, thank you.

I added a new layer ACTIONS and put a stop(); in the actions layer above each page but now, the pages still run around like crazy, only SLOWER...

page 2 "BAND"  has a movie clip (One button "Band")

pages 3-11  'HISTORY" only has 9 written pages with no animation - each page has another button which directs it to pages 4,5,6 etc. (One button to visit the page "History')

Now...these bunch of pages work fine on their own,

I use this actionscript:

on(release){

gotoAndStop(6);

}

BUT, the problem occurs when I add PAGE 12, another movie clip. It is only when i add this movie clip (which works fine on its own) that the pages start to scramble. Surely the problem must lie with this?

I have now added stops to ALL the pages, but the pages still jump around...

any help is appreciated!

• 5. Re: website pages scamled
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by "scramble" and "jump around"?

Are the pages being displayed in rapid succession 1,2,3,4,etc? in order or random? alwys the same or not?

It looks like you currently are putting the action script for each button, directly on the button itself.

A better practice out be to put ALL your actions in the actions layer, nothing directly on any buttons. That way if there is some unknown actionscript causing the jumping issues, you only have one place to look... your one and only "actions" layer.

As you place each button on the stage, give it an instance name down in the Properties Panel. Then in your actions layer, the action would be:

your_btn.onRelease = function() {
                  gotoAndStop(6);
                  }

where "your_btn" is the instance name. Each button needs a unique instance name...Much cleaner and easier to debug problems. If you need new keyframes for the stop actions, be sure to copy any button code into that frame also.

Does the page 12 movie clip have a stop(); action in it's last frame so that it doesn't loop?

Does the frame in the maintime that you place that mc in have a stop action?

Best of luck to ya,

Adninjastrator

• 6. Re: website pages scamled
                    Riff88 Level 1

there's no other way to clarify "jump around" then to say the pages jump around with my pushing a button.

your button code doesn't work, by the way, at least not on my program.

Thanks anyway, I will have to try something else.