9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 9:09 AM by the_wine_snob

SWF in Premiere Elements 9

janny14

I created a .swf file in Flash CS5 on a Macbookpro OS 10.6.4. I tried to import it into Premiere Elements 9 but all I get is a black clip. I also tried the .swf in Premiere Elements 9 on a Dell, OS Windows 7 and got the same black clip. Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of a self-contained SWF w/ the embedded player, Export as an FLV from Flash instead. That should take care of the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
            janny14 Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Hunt. I don't see the option to export as flv in Flash. I did find the export as .mov that I hadn't noticed before and that worked on both Mac ad PC. Can you tell me how to export as flv in Flash?

• 3. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll have to wait till I get to the studio to open Flash (Studio 10 in my case, as I have not upgraded to the later Adobe Flash suites yet), and see what is available. I do not have my Macromedia suites on my laptop. The FLV is the raw Flash file itself, and the SWF is the "published" file with embedded player - self-contained.

Glad that MOV worked for you.

On my PC, I work with a lot of 3D AV files from Mac animators and specify MOV w/ the Animation CODEC. These work perfectly and very smoothly for me on my PC's. Do not recall the CODEC choices from Flash (you can see who does not use his Flash all THAT often... ), but will poke around a bit. Remember, MOV is almost meaningless by itself. It is the CODEC, that is so very important, and a MOV wrapper can hold all sorts of CODEC's and settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                janny14 Level 1

The best I can tell the raw flash file is .fla and PE 9 doesn't accept it. Codecs of the .mov I imported to PE 9 won't matter when I export or publish from PE 9, will it? Video input, output, and how to know what codecs are needed is confusing to me, so I appreciate your expertise and any knowledge and advice you can send my way. I use a lot of Adobe products but I'm not an expert in any of them!!

• 5. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The FLA is rather like the PREL file in PrE (or PRPROJ file in PrPro) and is the "project" file. You are correct that it will not Import into PrE, and can only be used in Flash, or similar.

On Monday, I will fire up Flash and see what I can find.

As for the CODEC's, they are a two-way street - Decoding on Import for editing and then Encoding on Export/Share. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                    janny14 Level 1

Enjoyed your article...very helpful! I'll take your advice and study codecs. Do you also have an article about audio and correct choices to make on it when exporting?

• 7. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For Audio Export, I don't have anything there. All are on troubleshooting Audio issues. For Export, the choices are usually limited by the delivery scheme, that one requires. The DVD-standard of 48KHz 16-bit, 2-channel PCM/WAV, or fully DVD-compliant DD AC3 (also 48KHz 16-bit 2, or 6-channel) will work for almost every instance. The WAV is slightly better, but larger, and the AC3 does have some compression.

Sorry,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                        janny14 Level 1

Okay, thanks for the info. I appeciate your time!

• 9. Re: SWF in Premiere Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and happy editing,

Hunt