8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 8:17 AM by Tayedrummer

Red footage? Terminology please.

SyncroScales

What is Red footage? What format? Why is this more demanding than AVCHD? I thought AVCHD was very compressed and a pain to deal with as is.

With uncompressed and compressed footage: I was looking at mimimum system requirements for Premier Pro - Why does a system need to be more robust for uncompressed? Isn't AVI easier to deal with than AVCHD files since it is less compressed?

Does and form of an AVI-HD file/footage run smoother than an HD compressed format?

• 1. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
          SyncroScales Level 1

From some looking: Apparently it is a camera and a way to record with a camera. I will look some more.

• 2. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

RED is a company that makes very high-end cameras. The footage from these cameras is in RED (R3D) format. If you don't have a RED camera, this isn't relevant to you.

• 3. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
              shooternz Level 6
              If you don't have a RED camera, this isn't relevant to you.

Unless you are an editor and some one gives you some  R3d footage to edit!

• 4. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                If you don't have a RED camera, this isn't relevant to you.

Unless you are an editor and some one gives you some  R3d footage to edit!

True.

My point was that you dont need to worry about what RED is if you don't have the camera or footage.

• 5. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

SyncroScales wrote:

Why does a system need to be more robust for uncompressed?

Because uncompressed files are ginormous and you have to have a really good throughput on your hard drives to handle the huge amount of data, and a huge amount of memory to handle all the stuff that has to go through the buffers...

I would wager your CPU could be less powerful for most uncompressed things, but you'd need much faster/bigger hard drives and much better memory. For highly compressed stuff, you could get away with slower smaller drives and less memory, but you'd need a really top-notch cpu to run everything.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
                    SyncroScales Level 1

Well, since I am trying to learn about cameras and video editing: it is very important for me to understand what is what. and what file is what. and what camera is what. It helps me to know where I am at, and what I should strive for or not in future. Maybe I will want/need/use a RED camera one day, maybe not. Maybe a particular file format is important, so when I look at the file types that can be handled in a NLE then I can use them or not. Plus I need to know what other video editors are talking about.

I am here to learn. Pretty much anything and everything. And I am in other palces also to do the same thing.

Plan to upgrade my system hopefully very soon. Hopefully almost done understanding what is happening and ready to do, I just have some loose ends to tie up.

I found their site. I am looking around.

• 7. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Well, if your goal is to learn, then its my experience that you've come to the right place. Fora like these are where the pros hang out and without the countless hours I've spent here over the past four years, I can guarantee you that there is no way I'd have jumped from never using an NLE to shooting product commercials for La-Z-Boy in only four years.

If you want to learn everything there is to know about the different cameras and what shoots what and what can edit it, one of the best places I've found to hang out are the camera forums at dvxuser and dvinfo.net/conf.  If you see a camera name and don't really know what it is or want more technical detail about it, look the camera up at bhphotovideo.com and read all tech specs and summary, and follow links back to the manufacturer's pages on that camera.

Sign up for the free magazines Videomaker, Videography, and CGW (more for FX and Graphics/Gaming), and if you can afford it, sign up for American Cinematographer Magazine. Also, if you can afford it, sign up for a subscription over at lynda.com. You'll learn everything there is to know about all the Adobe software products, and many other products as well. Won't help you out as much with cameras, but anything software related, they've got covered.

When you hit something (a term/spec) that you don't know, Google it... quite often the Wikipedia results that are up at the top have a wealth of good information that I have found to be pretty accurate when it comes to techincal things (it's harder to sway the balance of something technical than it is political or historical).

And then just keep on asking your questions here and elsewhere... I've found these guys to be really down-to-earth, quick and ready to help, and a lot of fun, too...

• 8. Re: Red footage? Terminology please.
                        Tayedrummer Level 1

You'll find a ton of info on Red workflows at www.reduser.net.

Dealing with the native R3D files is getting easier but it does take a lot of computing muscle.  The raw files aren't uncompressed, the data rate is only 36 or 42Mb/s, but there is no image processing done in-camera...not even debayering the image.  That helps keep the cost of the camera down and power consumption lower but it means that post not only have to play back a 4K image but also have to debayer and apply LUTs in real time.  Red now have a Red Rocket card out now that will debayer the R3D files in full res in real time.