11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 7:25 AM by Bill Gehrke

A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?

SyncroScales

Hi. Has anyone had any sucess/trouble with slightly older Nvidia Cards or ATI cards such as the ones with ddr3 RAM? I don't think I'v seen a ddr4 card. It seems to have skipped to ddr5.

When building or buying a system: What should you look for? I can get it in the mimimum specs and resolution: But what do you need exactly?

Can onboard work sucessfully compared to having to get the PCIe x16 card installed? Maybe on a higher end motherboard? If so what brands, or system specs can suffice as Recommended requirements?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

On board is best turned off and your best bet is a PCIe x 16 nVidia graphics card with 1 GB+ memory. Look at the GTX 460/470/480/580.

• 2. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
            nharman

Sure onboard can work fine for various applications.  However, when doing anything GPU intensive a dedicated card is the only good option.  Especially with CS5, the benefits that the cards Harm suggested offer a huge advantage on render times because of the Mercury Playback Engine that is part of CS5.

If you aren't doing anything GPU intensive and just need a monitor output then onboard is a fine option.  The one downfall to anything onboard really is the fact that since it is onboard and not dedicated it does not have everything it needs to function so it relies some on the CPU and the ram you have installed to function.

There are GDDR4 cards, they are just old and you really can't find them anymore, if you just need a graphics card and don't want mercury playback or are running CS4 and don't plan to upgrade soon, then honestly you are better off sticking to a lower end current generation graphics card than going back to a substantially older card.  The driver support is better for newer programs and OS'es, and well they are much more efficient so they will use less power and dump less heat into your case.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
              SyncroScales Level 1

Thanks for the replys. I thought 1Gb memory would be great, since there are programs/applications asking for 512Mb. How quiet are the GTX cards though? Would a nVidia 9800 series work? How loud are they?

I don't overclock.

Is there an ATI series that works equally?

Is this forum, or are the Adobe products more geared toward nVidia or ATI? I am sure some people are using both........Some people have said this year ATI has it on nVidia, until nVidia takes it again.........

• 4. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                SyncroScales Level 1

Also: As some of you people here are professionals in a media field of work or much more experienced than me - How much does it matter to you or in general how loud your processor fan, the graphics card fan, the internal fans, etc are? I want it as quiet as possible, but I am getting by with a little bit noisy processor fan, that I will replace with after market soon. I am aware of the other methods of cooling too.

• 5. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                  nharman Level 1

Adobe products favor Nvidia cards, for one reason and one reason only, CUDA.  It's not that ATI cards are not as fast, or anything, it is the fact that Adobe does not support them with their Mercury Playback Engine.

I am not sure if you can run MPE on a 9800gtx, I know that some people have had success in the past with older cards that are not officially supported as long as they had 1gb of vram or more, but, some work and others do not.

If you want to the benefits of MPE you are better off investing in like a gtx 460 1gb (make sure it's the 1gb not the 768mb).  You can find them for well under $200 and with a simple "hack" they will work with Premiere Pro with no problems.

As for noise, that's really a personal preference, for me fan noise doesn't bug me too much as long as it's not out of control, other people want their computer dead silent.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are looking for about the cheapest card available (~$50), I have used a GeForce 9500GT with 1 GB of GDDR2 RAM and obtained MPE hardware acceleration.  It will not be great but it is better than any ATI board because it does have CUDA, 1 GB of RAM, PCI Express 2.0 x16, HDCP Ready Video  and can be enabled with the Premiere "hack".  Some even have two DVI interfaces or one DVI and one HDMI.  It is fairly quite and much lower power requirement than the Fermi boards.

• 7. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                      SyncroScales Level 1

What is this "hack"? On the card or in the program? Which versions of Premier? 4 or 5? Why a "hack"?

I'v looked at some cards already. I want to keep my motherboard and get a ddr3 or ddr4 (if I can find one) card. In my city at this computer store, they have a LOT. I just have to look and can figure out what is what. I was really thinking ATI, and I might if I get a great card, but this is a nVidia motherboard, and some features are only with the nVidia graphics cards. If I want a change, I need a different piece of hardware to build into/onto.

It seems like the GTX series.

The cards I'm looking at like you all are telling me about are cheap now since ddr5 is the newest and advertised. I'm a deal hunter and right now is a good time for me since the rest of the hardware is working nicley in my case. Unsure how well it would work wit Premier Pro, or After Effects but it seems to meet the specifications for a good system setup.

Funny how graphic cards now are at ddr5 RAM and most customer computers are only using ddr3 RAM.

• 8. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                        nharman Level 1

Well video ram and the ram for your motherboard are different, very similar, but they serve different purposes.  So comparing GDDR3 to DDR3 really isn't an equivalent comparison.

If you are using Premiere Pro CS4 then you won't gain anything from the Mercury Playback so the GPU isn't nearly as important.  If you have CS5 or are planning on upgrading soon then invest in an Nvidia card that is MPE playback.  It will make a significant impact on performance when using certain effects and on render times.  Take a look at the PPBM5 results and you can see the gain from hardware based MPE (using the video card) vs software only.

http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

As for "the hack", it's not really a hack it is adding one line to a .txt file found in the Premiere Pro folder of Supported Cuda Cards.

• 9. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Look at this http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-430-us.html

If you require a budget solution, this is the place to start.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                            SyncroScales Level 1

Does anyone know if that  GeForce gt 430 is the same as a eVGA GeForce 430? I have foudn one of the eVGA's at a local computer store in my city. it is dirf cheap, they really really want to get rid of it. I looked a bit at that same card a few days ago, how ironic.

eVGA I'v been told is the same thing (exact?), but one step down or something (the budget solution).

That company is not the only "3rd partry" with the graphics.

Thank you.

• 11. Re: A little bit older Nvidia or ATI cards and onboard vs PCIe x 16 ad in cards?
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes that is a potentially a MPE hardware acceleration board here are three different EVGA GT 430 boards all are CUDA equipped and have the required 1 GB of video RAM.  As you can see these are list priced at $80 and $90 USD.  How well they will perform is another question that you can find out for us.