14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 9:16 AM by the_wine_snob

Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?

dorich24

This relates to

OS X

Premier & Photoshop Elements 9

I want to create a line, with arrowhead, to point out something in a clip. My preference is to have the line appear as though it were being drawn, hence it might be a wipe.

I can see at least one method of simply adding a line. Take a frame and add the line in Photoshop E, then insert the frame back into the clip sequence.

However, I can't see if there is a way to make the line dynamic as described above. As an example think of the way sports commentators draw over a play to indicate the tactics that are being executed.

My question: Is there a way to accomplish a "dynamically appearing line" using Pre and PE?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably the easiest way to do this is to create you "line" and "arrowhead" in a Title. Then animate the Crop Effect to reveal it over time, starting from the beginning of the line, until all is revealed. One can give the line a bit more of a "hand-drawn" look by doing it as a Stroke on a Path with some "wiggles." [I think that PrE can do this, and you will want to choose a Style w/ a Stroke. You can then eliminate any attributes, like Fill, that are not needed, but you do need that Style first to get a Stroke.]

Personally, I would create the Title in Photoshop, and use my Wacom to draw the line, to get those hand-drawn wiggles. The resultant PSD would be Imported into PrE and the same animation of the Crop Effect would be used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can use the Wingings fonts in the titler, if you need a more professionally drawn arrow.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I use the Webdings (similar), as that character set has a bunch of "arrows." I think that it is really common, like Wingdings, and the full set of each can be very useful for such work.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?

And, of course, Photoshop Elements includes a whole selection of arrow shapes that can be exported as backgroundless PSD files and overlayed on Premiere Elements projects.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I did not know that PSE had Clipart, but it does make sense.

Thanks, as I learned something new, and it's barely 9:00AM here!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?

Actually, Bill, they're Smart Shapes. Not clip art. But there are 550 of them!

And don't forget that Premiere Elements does come with clip art. 250 pieces, some of it even animated!

Included in this set is a pushpin, a pencil and a traffic sign with an arrow, all of which might make interesting pointing devices.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, I had not even thought about Shapes. Yes, PS installs with a ton of them too. Duh!!!

Good one Steve, and thanks for jogging my poor, feeble memory.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                        dorich24 Level 1

Bill Hunt:

Thanks for guidance and the various solutions.

With regard to your first solution I'm having a problem "driving" PRE and wondered if you could point me in the right direction.

I've successfully implemented your first solution but its one of those situations where I did it but I'm not sure how.

The Problem

I created a title and inserted a graphic from the shapes palette in PRE.

With the graphic inserted I attempt to use the "Crop" effect to control the pixels in view on the horizontal plane.

However, when I first open the effect there is only the ability to control motion and opacity. There are no four dimension crop controls. This is the step I'm missing, or failing to understand. How do I tell PRE that I want to add a crop.

Somehow I've managed to make the crop controls appear and then I've successfully got the whole process working with a number of keyframes but something about getting this process started eludes me.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                          nealeh Level 5

In the Effects pane search for the video effect 'Crop'. Drag the effect to your clip and click Edit Effects. You can then crop by using the mouse to resize the crop frame, or for fine work entering exact percentages.

5.png

4.png

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                            dorich24 Level 1

Thanks.

I knew it had to be something simple.

• 11. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

With a Shape on the Title, there should not be need to Crop anything, as the "background" of the Title is fully Transparent. Have you moved on to another process?

For a look at a Shape (arrowhead in this case) on a Title, see below. Note that the full Title's background is Transparent, and everything below shows, except for the area of the Shape:

Title_Arrow.jpg

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                                dorich24 Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

With a Shape on the Title, there should not be need to Crop anything, as the "background" of the Title is fully Transparent. Have you moved on to another process?

Thanks Bill:

The reason for the cropping process was to allow the arrow to be gradually revealed, as though it were being drawn on the screen.

I'm responding because I know that you provided some other solutions but I thought that understanding your first would be useful for other effects I wanted and so that was where I focused - however, I want to make sure I interpreted your solution correctly.

You suggested using the crop effect so what I did, ignoring my inability to create the first instance of a crop, was to use one dimension of the line/arrow (say the right dimension) and gradually take it from nothing showing at zero time to 100% sometime later in the clip. This works, the question though is "is that what you meant?" Now you've got me wondering.

While I'm on this subject is there a way to have a circle appear on the screen as though it were being drawn?  At the moment I'm using the above technique and the circle draws around either side at the same time.

• 13. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  The reason for the cropping process was to allow the arrow to be gradually revealed, as though it were being drawn on the screen.

Got it. Basically, you are Keyframing the Crop Effect to "animate" it.

You might also want to look at using Linear Wipe Transition (do not let the name confuse you, as it's really an Effect, and not a Transition in the purest sense - think that is available in PrE?), as that can give you a "soft edge," in the reveal. If you cannot find Linear Wipe, then it's only available in PrPro, and I apologize for mentioning it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Is it possible to draw a line on a clip?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now for the rest of your questions.

Yes, that "revealing" was what I was talking about, and Keyframing the Crop Effect should allow you to reveal over time, as you want.

As for the circle, there is a bit more involved, as the Crop, or Linear Wipe Transition will work in a linear fashion, unlike how a circle would be actually drawn. Same as with cursive Text, in a "handwriting" font. To do those, I first go into Photoshop, and create say my circle, as I want it to appear in the final. This will be my last Frame of the animation. Then, I create a Layer Mask to cover up the circle. This will be my first Frame. With say the Eraser Tool, set to a soft-edged Brush, I will Frame-by-Frame Erase parts of the Layer Mask, doing a Save_As PSD, for each step. This will yield every intermediate Frame in the process, and when Imported, and placed on the Timeline, will appear as the circle (or handwriting font), being drawn by hand. Before Import, adjust your Still Duration (in Edit>Preferences) to about 3 - 5 Frames, and then place a Cross-Dissolve between each Frame. I also temporarily set my Transition Duration to be very short. The exact Duration of the stills (the PSD's), and the Duration of the Transitions might require some tweaking, until you are satisfied with the smoothness.

I had to animate about 10 lines of cursive handwriting Text for a DVD Menu, and even with PS and my Layer Mask, it took several hours, then a bit more to find the right Duration and Transition Duration, but the effect was worth the effort. I then added an SFX of chalk striking a chalkboard (for the start of each letter/word), and an SFX of chalk writing on a chalkboard to complete the effect. A circle would be much easier.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

PS - I also used a bit of "distress" for the handwriting, so that it was not 100% on the edges, but that was an easy effect, as it only had to be applied to the complete Frame, and thus was visible as each part of each letter/word was "revealed" by the Layer Mask. I forget if PSE has Layer Mask, or not.