6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 9:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound

AZSuperman02

I am using Premiere Elements 9, video files imported using the import function in Adobe Organizer from an Insignia NS-DV1080P digital video camera.  File format is .AVI.

The videos play fine from the organizer and other video players, however when I edit the files with Premiere Elements 9 the audio is all but lost.  There is an audio track in Premiere but the sound is so quiet as to be nearly gone.  Increasing the audio using the volume controls makes no difference.  Video is also very jumpy.

I have used different presets, but have not found any difference between the various settings.

System info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

AMD 2.60 Ghz Processor

6GB RAM

Has anyone come across this problem, or do you have any idea how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

AVI is but a wrapper, and can contain a lot of different "stuff," both Audio and Video. This ARTICLE will give you some background, and some tips on finding out what is inside the AVI files.

Some cameras also record a mono signal, and this can often lead to very low dB levels in PrE/PrPro. Often, just doing either a Fill Right, or Fill Left will get the levels up to adequate. In some cases, one would need to duplicate the mono file and align it with the original. I would Pan one Left and one Right. The mix-down will be 2-channel anyway.

Also, you can increase the Gain of the Clips, by Rt-clicking and choosing Audio Gain. Just Click-drag on the 0.0 to increase.

There are other possibilities, but where you seem to be observing this in your workflow, I feel that they are unlikely candidates. We can address them, should the above not help out.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Hunt. This AVI doesn't sound like a DV-AVI.

Try opening the file in Windows Media Player -- then go to File/Properties.

On the Properties page, it should list the video and audio codecs. If you can let us know what they are, we may be better able to advise you.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
              AZSuperman02 Level 1

Thanks for your help Bill and Steve.

I downloaded GSpot and determined that the video is encoded using the H.264 codec, audio was encoded using the 0x00ff (AAC) codec.  The article you linked to said video files should be converted to  DV-AVI Type II in order to work best.  Unfortunately it didn't list any programs that can be used to convert the video to the best CODEC.  Do you have any suggestions for programs I can use to convert files from H.264 to

Adjusting the audio gane seems to make the biggest difference.  Using that I am able to increase the audio 18+ Db and can make the audio at least semi-workable.

Thanks,

Shawn

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Shawn,

I use an older version of DigitalMedia Converter, but it's shareware. Many use Prism (freeware), and are quite pleased with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
                  AZSuperman02 Level 1

I converted the file with Prism and it plays much better.  Not nearly as jumpy as before.  The audio is still quiet, but the audio gain feature allows me to increase it to a workable level.  Thank you so much for all your help.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9: .AVI file - no sound
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

AZSuperman,

Glad that it worked for you!

Is that "AZ" as in Arizona? That is where I reside, though have not been home much over the last few months.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt