8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 8:53 PM by Jim_Simon

Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...

MarvinHerbold

If in Premiere you are trying to have several After Effect clips named like Scene_1.aep, Scene_2.aep and so on... Premiere will not load them properly... for some reason Premiere thinks its an image sequence (or something like that) and ends up only loading the last Scene_X file.  It really messes things up.  I was able to fix this by adding an X to the end of all my AE file names.  This is annoying.

• 1. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
          Sjokomelk Level 2

When you import a file like that, you should have a checkmark option for "Numbered stills". So I would check if that option is on or off when importing. If it was, then I would imagine that it might be a feature and not a bug.

If it comes in like an image sequence even if that option is off, then I would put this in a feedback form.

Which you find here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
            MarvinHerbold Level 1

The numbered stills checkbox is grayed out when you import an AE file.  The only option you get is which compositions you want to import after it opens (the wrong) AE file and presents you with a list of compositions.  I am going to report this bug via the link you provided.

• 3. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree there is a bug here.

It has nothing to do with image sequence issues, but only that dynamic link seems to get stuck on the highest numbered file.

Note that you get the same action in PR whether you use File - Import or Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import AE composition.

Create two AE projects with 1 and 2 at the end of the name (or _1 and _2).  Put one composition in each, named so you can tell them apart.

You will get somewhat different results depending on whether you have closed AE and reopened project #1, but basically, when it does the "connecting to dynamic link server" operation, it finds only project #2, and displays, as the only choice for import, the project #2 composition.

You can access project #1 by opening it in AE and leaving it open while you import/DL in PR.

However, as soon as you accees project #2 in PR import/DL, AE changes to project #2, and even if you now click on project #1 in the PR import/DL window, it says it is connected to project #2 and displays the project #2 composition.

I think it was with project #2 open in AE, and using the "recent projects" list to change to project #1, that AE crashed.

Workaround:  "don't do that" (don't name AE projects with identical names and a number at the end).  Also, there's another thread active at the moment that recommends keeping all dynamic link compositions for a PR project in the same AE project file.

Bug report filed.

• 4. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
                MarvinHerbold Level 1

Yeah - basically my work around is to add an "x" to the end of all my AE files.  That fixed it.  I had them named like "Scene_1_Shot_A_3" and so on.  Now they're all called "Scene_1_Shot_A_3_x", etc.

• 5. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
                  SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

This is a known issue.

The cause of this is support for AE's increment and save feature. In AE's file menu there is an option to save the project with a name ending in a new number as a simple form of automatic versioning. The typical workflow here is while working on a project at any major checkpoint the AE user will issue an increment and save then move on to working with the latest version as current. As the point of DynamicLink is to work dynamically as a project changes, we want the link in Premiere to always refer to the latest version.

Unfortunatly there is no simple way of differentiating files ending in numbers as you are trying to import from the increment and save named files. Increment and save is an essential part of many users's workflow and so we decided that supporting that was our primary concern and at that point unfortunatly lost the ability to differentiate AE projects intentionally named with numbers. There are a few ways we could solve this, for example embed in the file some tracking identifier to show that it was derived from another via increment and save, but have not had time for any yet. As always, the squeaky wheel gets the attention, so to help us prioritize any issues please submit a request:

adobe.com/go/wish

• 6. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you for that clear explanation.

• 7. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
                      MarvinHerbold Level 1

Thanks for the explanation.  In the mean time could you at least put up a warning message of some kind when someone tries to import an AE file into PPro that ends with a number?  I spun my wheels for a couple of hours trying to figure out why PPro was not importing the file I selected.  I'm sure others will run into this issue and not know what is happening.

• 8. Re: Bug - AEP file names ending with a number...
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

This is the kind of thing where having an actual Premiere Pro engineer stop by once and a while is a very good thing.  I'm not sure any mere user would have been able to figure this out.