12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 8:41 PM by Kumar Pratik

How do I put my flex website on internet?

Kumar Pratik

Hi,

Recently I have developed a flex web application and now I wanted to put on internet. I know that there are quite a lot free web hosting company but I am bit confused as in how I have to start. Application which i built used PHP and MySQL database. Currently I am runnning it on WAMP server.

Could you please let me know how exactly I can host it on internet.

Your response will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Pratik

• 1. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
          WordRad

You probably want to download a test web server so you can iron out all the deployment issues on your own machine.  (Maybe you already knew this.)  So something like xampp or xampplite.  Also Django is a web development framework providing a test web server.  Your flex app has to be embedded in a web page, templates of which FLex provides.  This may all be things you already knew.

• 2. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
            Kumar Pratik Level 1

Hi WordRad,

Thanks for your quick response, but I am still not very clear. I am very new to development so few things I am not able to catch.

Let me explain you. Application which I have built uses PHP and MySQL (I am ruuning it on WAMP sever in my local machine). Now when I am uploading my .swf files to some hosting comapny sites, how would i configure my database??

Thanks

• 3. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
              WordRad Level 1

You mean the flex application you built uses PHP and MySQL?  So you've already built and entire web app in PHP you're running on your local machine which also serves flex applications and you want to know how to deploy this whole application remotely?  Probably should consult the technical support or sales team of whichever web hosting service you''re considering and see if they can tell you how to migrtate it to their system.

I don't actually know PHP, maybe someone else will jump in. Sorry.

• 4. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                Kumar Pratik Level 1

Yes you are correct. Flex App which i have built uses PHP as sever side scripting language and MySQL as db.

Thanks for your response

• 5. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                  WordRad Level 1

I can say you will get much more feedback in a forum like stackoverflow.com.  That is probably the premeire programming website right now, on virtually every programming subject in existence.  This place is pretty much dead.  I'm only posting here in perhaps the vain hope that maybe an Adobe employee will give a meaningful response to the issue I brought up below.

• 6. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                    Kumar Pratik Level 1

Ok will try there as well.. Let me know if you come across any solution for this problem..

• 7. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                      GordonSmith Level 4

> I'm only posting here in perhaps the vain hope that maybe an Adobe employee will give a meaningful response to the issue I brought up below.

Please clarify what your issue is. I read through your responses on this thread and didn't find a question.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team

• 8. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                        GordonSmith Level 4

Perhaps you were referring to setting up a PHP-based app. My understanding is that most web hosting companies have PHP installed and you simply upload your .php files to your site.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team

• 9. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                          Devtron Level 3

no he needs help configuring MYSQL on a new server.

that sounds like a hosting problem and not a FLEX problem.

most hosting companies have MYSQL databases you can setup and use. They are usually part of the package deal.

Ive had hosting with GoDaddy and they provided MYSQL databases that I could connect to.

I think the answer is that you should find a hosting company that will host your PHP/FLEX and have MYSQL backend installed for you to configure. They are pretty easy to find.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                            Devtron Level 3

Here is a godaddy support link showing how to do this on their system:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/36

• 11. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                              Pappa_John Level 1

If I'm not mistaken, WAMP comes with phpMyAdmin, as do many (if not most) Linux hosting plans.

In that case, you can use the 'Export' tab from phpMyAdmin in WAMP to create a database dump suitable for recreating your tables / data on a new database.

Then, go to your hosting account and create a new database. Many hosts provide CPanel or Plesk which can be used to create the database. If your provider does not offer these control panels, you will have to contact them to determine how to create a database. Once the new database has been created, you can use the database dump from your local system and phpMyAdmin on your remote host to 'Import' the table structure / data to your new database.

Please note: many hosts have specific rules for naming the database, database user & database host. You will need to update your php app to reflect the database hostname, database name, database user and password as setup on your host.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How do I put my flex website on internet?
                                Kumar Pratik Level 1

Thanks a lot for all your response. From all the response what i have understood is  i need to create a seperate database in my hosting company site..

Other thing what i wanted to know is do I have to upload my html file or .swf file?