3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2007 5:21 AM by JcFx.Eu

Strange IE ExternalInterface Bug: "Object does not support this property or method"

JcFx.Eu
      We have an application on a relatively slow server (I mention the speed because it may be relevant).

The app is flash 8 and uses ExternalInterface to call a javascript function in its parent page. It also used the ExternalInterface to receive a call from another function. These calls happens separately (the outbound one calls up a list view of items, clicking on an item calls up the details in the flash movie). In between the calls, the flash movie is hidden by moving it off screen using absolute positioning.

On my local development box (Windows XPSP2) this works fine in both directions.
      On our production server (LAMP) this works fine in both directions in Firefox 1.5 and 2.0
      BUT while the outbound call from Flash to the page works fine in Internet Explorer 6 or 7, the call back from the page to the flash movie fails with the error messgage "Object does not support this method or property"

We've tried not hiding the flash so it is always present on the page and still the browser > flash communication breaks in ie.

We've tried using both the Adobe active content script and swfobject to embed the flash in the page with no difference in the resultset. In truth we've given up and gone to a two-page solution, reloading the flash from the start each time but I wondered if anyone had encountered a similar issue? Can't see why it would work perfectly in FF but not in IE.