5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 3:35 PM by ScoJoe

PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium

ScoJoe

Hello

I bought a new PC in April which has Win7 64-bit Home Premium on it.

Although I had previously intended using this PC solely for music production, I've decided to also use it for some fairly basic AVCHD editing.

Will I have any problems using PE7 on this PC?

Kindest Regards

• 1. Re: PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The OS should not be an issue, but with AVCHD material, the CPU might, or might not be. What is the speed/core-type of the CPU and how much RAM do you have? Also, tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's and their setup.

With a DAW, one concern can be with VST's often used in Audio work. This ARTICLE will give you some things to consider.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Harm on drive setup

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
            - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
            - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
            • 3. Re: PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium
              ScoJoe Level 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for the speedy replies. I really appreciate it. Thanks also for the links to the other posts. It was interesting stuff in respect of HDD setup and VSTs. Aplogies for omitting various system info.

My current set up is:

Win7 64-bit Home Premium.
              i7 930 2.8GHz Quad Core (also overclocked I'm told)
              6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

I have 3 x HDDs:

1. 500GB Software and OS.
              2. 500GB Audio Files.
              3. 1TB Sample Files (and anything else I wish to put on it).

I'm fairly new to filming and have a Panasonic HDC HS9. At this point, my intentions are to do some musical performances, possibly to put on Youtube/Vimeo etc.I am aware that these websites will likely compress my audio to heck. However, it would be great just to have some HD footage retained of the performances for personal use and prosperity.

Just for background info, what I am intending doing is:

Recording my audio via my preamps into an RME Multiface II (Audio Interface) into Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition 8.5.

Transfer the footage from my HDC HS9 to my DAW via the USB cable or SD card.

I was then intending exporting the audio (.wav) from Sonar and then importing it into PE7 and syncing it up with the footage.

Is my setup okay for PE7 providing I persevere with the possible VST blacklist issue?

Regards

Stewart

• 4. Re: PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stewart,

The specs. look very good. Having the 3x HDD setup is excellent, and your CPU is up to the task with AVCHD material. You might consider going to 12GB of RAM, if you have the slots, as Win7 requires quite a bit, and can use all that you can give it.

Do not recall if John T. linked to Harm Millaard's excellent HDD setup article, but if not, an allocation along the lines below will really help:

C:\ OS, programs and probably Windows Virtual Memory (Page File)

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

E:\ Assets, both Audio and Video

For links to Harm's articles, see this THREAD.

For general setup, see this ARTICLE in addition, and especially follow the link to Black Viper's Win7 tuneup guides.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7 using Win7 64 bit Home Premium
                  ScoJoe Level 1

Thank for that Bill

Cheers also for the additional links. Thankfully my DAW isn't used for anything else rather than audio and (soon to be) video. I don't even have it hooked up to the internet and have no plans to either. I don't even be using antivirus software with me tending to scan anything on my other PC before transfer over if need be. I will check it for the unecessary programs you mention though.

Regarding RAM. I'll see how it goes with 6GB but I may upgrade to 12GB if I feel I can do with it. I think I can go as high as 18GB, although I would need to check and see that is is possible.

Thanks a lot for your help Bill. Much appreciated as was John's help.

Regards