6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 8:49 AM by the_wine_snob

do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??

genesmachine Level 1

I am going to make at least three music videos for a local band for their web site. Do I make all three in one project and can i encode them for YouTube separately or do i do all three in totally separate projects??? It seems like once i have all the footage and audio loaded in a project and do one video to upload to YouTube then to do another video i have to load all that raw footage and audio all over again for the next video and then for the third video.... seems like once all that is loaded into a project i could just separate the videos for a few seconds and do another and then another, but how then to send them to YouTube separately???

Or if i do all three in separate projects how can i combine them into one project to export in DVD quality for the band to use for promo???

• 1. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I would break the Project into three, discrete Projects, but you do have a point about the Importing of the Assets.

You can certainly do this with one Project, and then Export/Share segments of it with the WAB (Work Area Bar). Here is a look at the WAB from an earlier version of PrE:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

As I do not upload to YouTube, I cannot tell you if you can use the WAB, when you do the direct Export/Upload. You may have to do an Export/Share for the individual segments, and then manually Upload each. Others can shed more light on this aspect.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the DVD quality delivery, if you are going to a single DVD, then doing one Project, or combining the three individual Projects into one "master Project," will allow you to author a DVD and have navigation to each of the three segments. If Burning to Disk, you cannot author each individual Project to a single disk, and will want to combine, at some point, in PrE.

If all you need is just files (no authoring to disk) in DVD quality, you can still use the WAB and Export/Share to MPEG-2 w/ DVD-compliant Audio - either PCM/WAV or DD AC3 at 48KHz 16-bit Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
              genesmachine Level 1

Thanks for the input Bill. I guess that I will do them as separate projects. Once I have all three finished and onto their web site I will still want to do a high res DVD for TV playback and will have to see if i can somehow get all three in one project on the same timeline and author it so as to be able to go to any one of them at will. Can a finished project somehow be imported or otherwise brought into a project to do what I want??

• 4. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The Import will be for DV-AVI's, and not the actual Projects. After you have done your Export/Share for YouTube, just do a second Export/Share to DV-AVI with the Audio specs. above. You will then have 3 resultant files. Start a New Project w/ DV (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you are) w/ 48KHz Audio and Import those three DV-AVI's into that new Project. Place each on the Timeline, and then add the DVD Markers. Create Menus and Burn to Disk, or Burn to Folder w/ the Menus and navigation.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] This FAQ Entry will give you the exact steps.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
                  genesmachine Level 1

Yea!! You are the Man Bill !!! Thanks. That's what I'll do and i do believe that i know just how to do that due to your great explanation.

• 6. Re: do I make multiple videos in one project or make multiple projects??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that we could help. Since PrE allows only ONE Project open at a time, and no direct way to Open multiple Projects into one, the user needs to go through that extra Export/Share step, but it's not a big deal.

PrPro allows one to have separate Sequences (think mini-Projects in one), but does not do direct authoring, so one must use the companion program, Encore, and they would then do basically the same thing with multiple Sequences to Encore. It is a "six of one - half-dozen of the other" situation.

If you have any questions along the way, we are here to help!

Happy editing,

Hunt