15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 8:29 AM by the_wine_snob

Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems

SDCone

Hi there. I've been editing a Canon 5D feature for a couple months now, with very few issues, but am suddenly having playback problems in Maximum View/Full Screen mode. I've watched the full film in 1/2 quality several times now, straight through, but over the course of the past several days I've stopped being able to do that. Now, no matter the quality (this is even happening at 1/4 quality, and fully rendered), playback in full screen is stuttering/dropping frames. To a lesser extent, it's doing it a little bit in the smaller windows, but mostly the source/program monitors are fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Stephen

• 1. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
          tclark513 Level 3

Have you upgraded to the latest version? (5.0.2)

• 2. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
            SDCone Level 1

Hmm... Well, I purchased the CS5 upgrade in mid-September so that would've been included, no? Is there a way to check the update status in Premiere?

Thanks!

Stephen

• 3. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stephen,

With PrPro open, go to Help>About and see what version you are running.

To update, you can close everything Adobe, except for Bridge, and go to Help>Update to download and install all available updates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                SDCone Level 1

Excellent. Will do. If this isn't the issue, however, any other ideas? It really did just start happening out of the blue, and for no seeming reason.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                  cvid01 Level 4

Maybe defragmenting your drives may help...??

• 6. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. Finding out what changed can be a bit of work.

First thing that I would consider is that simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video driver instantly obsolete. Getting the latest video (and audio) driver usually fixes things. Check nVidia, or ATI/AMD, for latest driver for the video, and also Realtek, or other for audio, while you are at it.

If you have no luck, then do a manual System Restore Point for now. Boot in Safe Mode and choose to roll-back to a System Restore Point, when things did work, and reboot. Test. If things now work, you know when the change happened, and it might be a bit easier to pinpoint what was changed, just by the dates/times. Could be new software, new hardware, different settings, or other.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                      shooternz Level 6

Deleting Render files may help.

Possibly they have built up over the duration of a long edit and are overwhelming the project and system.

• 8. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video driver instantly obsolete.

I would worry about that about as much as worrying about being hit by an asteroid on your way to work in the morning.  It may not be impossible, but it is so improbable that you really need to be off the charts paranoid to worry about it.

• 9. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                          SDCone Level 1

Thanks for all the tips. Keep 'em coming.

I did do a Windows update about a week and a half ago. I wonder if that had something to do with it. Perhaps I'll reverse those updates and see what happens. Will also consider System Restore.

S, forgive my ignorance, but when you say delete rendered files do you mean deleting old exported mpeg/DVD files that may still be on the drive or in the Recycling Bin, etc., or something else? I do have a lot sitting in the Recycling Bin.

Thanks again all.

Stephen

• 10. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                            tclark513 Level 3

Do you have the latest version or not?  It has that fix in it.  It sounds like the bloating bug.

• 11. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Guess that there have been a bunch of meteor showers over the last few years, as many have suffered that fate. Updating the drivers has rectified the issues in most cases. In those, the only changes have been OS updates and hot-fixes. Can I sell you some asteroid insurance?

Hunt

• 12. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please, install the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update. If you still have the problem after that, then it makes sense to ask for other suggestions. But installing the most recent update should be your first step.

• 13. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                                  shooternz Level 6

After doing the update as suggested...

Deleting Render files is an option available  in the Menu Bar of PPRO

• 14. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                                    SDCone Level 1

Thanks for all the help with this, guys. I wasn't on my computer until last night so couldn't take care of things until then. In any

case, I already had the update, which I was 95% sure was the case. But did a System Restore back to a couple of weeks ago, just before my last Windows Update, and that did the trick. Still not sure which element caused the issue but I've got time to figure that out. Good news is I'm back in action.

Thanks!

Stephen

• 15. Re: Out-of-the-Blue Playback Problems
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Stephen,

Glad that things are now working.

As you will want to keep your OS updated, I would spend a bit of time, testing to see if you CAN find the element causing the issue. If set to manual update, Windows will allow you download and install individual elements. When the OS is set to automatic, all available updates will be downloaded and installed. There is also a semi-automatic function, where one can choose Custom for the install part of the operation, and again can select the particular elements. Note: these exact options might differ with OS versions.

Now, even when you find the faulting module, it will still take some effort to find out what is happening. I would suspect the video driver, but that should be easy to confirm, or rule out. I also always keep older video drivers on the system in archive, just in case I need to roll-back to a previous version. Going back a bit, nVidia added some automatic gamer-only modules, and these messed up Adobe. One had to either disable those modules in the nVidia console, or roll-back. Newer versions installed those modules in OFF mode, so the user could then enable them, for gaming, especially 3D gaming. About the time that that issue got sorted out, ATI had some drivers, that messed up Adobe programs. Not sure of the dispositions of those, but I would assume that the problems there are now history. Still, having the older versions handy, can save time, if one does need to roll-back a driver.

Still, the issue might well not be with the video driver, but something else.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting,

Hunt