2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 6:28 AM by hawcath

Attempted use of Adobe Reader caused file folder to be deleted

hawcath

I tried to use Reader version 8.1 to read a PDF file.  When I selected OPEN and clicked on the file folder containing the desired file the program froze.  I killed Reader using the task manager. I reloaded Reader and when I tried to select the same folder it was no longer visable. The folder was not visible in Windows Explorer either.  As an experiment I tried the entire process again but selected a folder which contained nothing of importance and it too vanished. I'm using Windows XP sp3 and Outlook Express was also running when the problem occured.  I used the Reader yesterday with no problem.  I have done a complete virus scan and none were found.  I used Sysyem Restore to noon yesterday but the folders are still not available. I tried using the Reader following system restore and it seems to work OK.

My main question is how do I get my folder back?

• 1. Re: Attempted use of Adobe Reader caused file folder to be deleted
          pwillener Level 8

I have no idea how a folder could have been deleted while trying to open a PDF document.

If it's not in the Recycle Bin, then I would try a "undelete" program like Recuva; download the portable version from another computer, then run it on the computer with the missing folder.  Do as little as possible on that computer; everything new you put onto that disk reduces your chance at getting that deleted folder back.

P.S. System Restore does not restore any user data, just system data (Windows folders & registry).

• 2. Re: Attempted use of Adobe Reader caused file folder to be deleted
            hawcath Level 1

Thank you for your rapid reply.  The missing folder was not in the recycle

bin but I did find it in the recent documents folder.  The second folder

that was deleted as a test was also there.  I have copied them to their

usual place and all seems to be intact. I have tried to read more PDF files

with Reader and everything works as it should.  I guess I don't need to

understand what happened but I'm happy to have my files back.

Thanks again for your response.