6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 10:02 AM by alexishaddock

Getting From a Flash FLA to a BluRay

alexishaddock

I'm looking for a sensible workflow for converting Flash presentations -- they're rarely bigger than 150MB in .fla format -- into BluRay quality video.

I have the Master Collection, but I'd like the process to be one that is gentle on server space. I'm testing doing it via an intermediate .avi file, but am rather deterred by the 1.2GB and growing file that I'm creating. There's a lot of advice online that involves "converters", but my IT folks don't like anything without a reputable brand.

• 1. Re: Getting From a Flash FLA to a BluRay
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure what you or your IT people hope to achive here. Other than Flash (or a compatible SWF compiler) there is no way to render an FLA file to persistent pixels as required for BluRay. Sorry, but there is a fundamental misunderstanding here somewhere I think. There is no way to be "gentle on the server space" as you will always need some form of intermediate step. So for all intents and purposes, the workflow will always be something like Flash --> Export Video or PNG sequence --> Adobe Media Encoder --> H.264 --> Encore --> BluRay. If your server is low on storage, simply have them buy more disks. Last I looked an internal  2TB drive cost 120 Euros or something like that and I'm sure if it is realyl that important, it's in their maintenance budget....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Getting From a Flash FLA to a BluRay
            alexishaddock Level 1

That was helpful. Okay, let me be a bit more specific. The starting point is a 1920x1080 lightly animated slide show, running about 3 minutes, and 120MB in FLA format. It's subdivided into a number of scenes, which could on future iterations be processed separately and then stitched together later, to avoid any further discussion of server burden here.

If I'm following the logic here, you're saying that I should export the FLA as a frame-by-frame format, encode, polish up the rough edges in Encore and then burn?

And I should do any After Effects Enhancements on the original FLA before I go through the FLA conversion? I think I see the correct answer in your original reply, but I'm aiming to invent the correct work flow here once only. Supplementary question: if I did chop the FLA into separately-processed scenes, at what stage would I reassemble them?

[Background: I know this conversion can be done, because a subcontractor has been doing this for me. But my overhead costs are under pressure, so guess what? The rationale of the whole concept is to avoid dragging laptops around the country. BluRay players are cheap & rugged; canned DVD presentations are highly stable.]

• 3. Re: Getting From a Flash FLA to a BluRay
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> The rationale of the whole concept is to avoid dragging laptops around the country. BluRay players are cheap & rugged; canned DVD presentations are highly stable.]<

True, but there is no assurance your traveling staff will have a monitor, projector or display at the venues on which to display this Blu-ray. Canned DVD prezos are stable, that's what makes them so unappealing to our traveling staff. They want to be able to dowload the latest version from a server the morning of their show. That means a PC is involved and that means there is never an issue hooking it up to any available display device. Their audiences wouldn't recognize the difference between 1080 ad 720 in a three-minute show.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: Getting From a Flash FLA to a BluRay
                alexishaddock Level 1

OK, that all makes sense. Why Flash? Because we started out there, and there's a lot of common content with Web activities, which -- you guessed it -- I'm stuck with too.