2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 3:18 PM by Steve Grisetti

Problems to blur out a small part of video clip

fmrees Level 1

Hello everyone.

I'm having a small problem here. What I need is some technical help as to how to use an effect, and not any technical problem with the software itself.

All I need to do is to blur out a small square logo from the top-left side of the screen of a video clip I've got.

I'm adding a copy of the video in a separate layer, adding the gaussian blur effect to it, and then adding a third layer with just the square shape in pure white color to act as matte. I also added a small gaussian blur effect to this matte, to have the borders of it less evident.

It works and the logo is almost faded out, but not well enough...

I'm having the gaussian blur effect on 40, 'cause if I increase it just gets blurry to an extent where the logo appears more than before, you know...

Is there any other technique I could attempt to hide this logo from my video clip?

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Problems to blur out a small part of video clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Gaussian Blur is not working, with the Track Matte Keying to limit the Blur, how about instead of the Blur, you first duplicate your Clip, and place it above the original Clip. Instead of Blur, use the fixed Effect>Motion>Position to move some of the clean "background" over to cover the logo? You would use the Track Matte Keying to constrain just the area of the logo. You might need to also include some Motion>Scale, to get a large enough piece of the background to cover the logo. I'd also do a Feather, or Blur on the Track Matte, so that the edges of that repositioned background are not sharp.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - though using a different program, AfterEffects has a Clone Tool, similar to the one in Photoshop, and one can Clone background areas to "cover" the logo. One could also Export as a Filmstrip (not sure if that is available in PrE 9 though), and then take that file into PS to do Rotoscoping with the Clone Tool, but that will be a frame-by-frame operation, and is very labor intensive.

• 2. Re: Problems to blur out a small part of video clip
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Rather than Gaussian Blur, try the Mosaic effect (like most TV shows use).