14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 12:15 PM by Doug Lyle

"Phantom" renders

Doug Lyle Level 1

This is a strange one - three times since I upgraded to CS5 I have gotten "phantom" renders from AE.  If I modify a comp, then render it, the change will not render, even though the display shows the change during the render.  For example, if I have a spot with a price point graphic of $249 and I change it to $199 and render it, $199 will show up during the render, but the rendered file will still have the old $249. 

I know what you're thinking, this guy's lost it and he's looking at the old file.  Not so.  The third time it happened, I deleted, and emptied the trash of all renders associated with the comp and rerendered.  It still happened.  A purge all will not cure it.  Closing and reopening AE will not fix it.  Only after a system restart will the comp render out correctly. 

This doesn't seem theoretically possible, yet it happens.  Needless to say I now have to scrutinize each render to be sure I'm getting the latest file.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Doug

OS 10.6.5

CS5 AE 10.0.1.19

MacPro 2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

10GB 800 MHz DDR2

• 1. Re: "Phantom" renders
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It would be interesting to know the codec of any video footage in these comps... and if you're using Open GL to accelerate renders, which you shouldn't.

I don't know if I've ever head of a Mac Pro using 10 GB; usually the increments come in 4 or 8GB.  If you have RAM chips of unequal sizes installed, or not installed in the right places, your memory could also be giving you grief.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Phantom" renders
            TimeRemapper Level 4

Is the old price still in the timeline? Are you using 3D layers/cameras? What camera are you looking through in your Comp?

• 3. Re: "Phantom" renders
              Doug Lyle Level 1

The codec is Prores HQ.  Open GL was checked.  I'll uncheck and keep an eye out for the problem.  It's sporadic, so the only way I'll know if that did it is if it doesn't happen again.

The memory is 2x4GB and 2x1GB, installed per Apple's replacement instructions.

• 4. Re: "Phantom" renders
                Doug Lyle Level 1

The problem would occur regardless of whether the old layer was deactivated or deleted.  I was using 3D on some layers, but no cameras.  The Active Camera is the only view of the comp I was using.

• 5. Re: "Phantom" renders
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

Have you tried clearing your cache?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: "Phantom" renders
                    Doug Lyle Level 1

I've cleared the cache and coincidentally will soon be getting a full 32GB of ram.  Hopefully one of the actions fixed the problem.  Thanks for your suggestions.

• 7. Re: "Phantom" renders
                      Doug Lyle Level 1

New information - After some tests, I found this phenomenon only happens when a render is given the same name as a previous render, and put into the same folder as the previous render.  For example, if I render out "Spot 1," see a mistake in a graphic let's say, delete the file, then re-render "Spot 1," the second render will look like the first.  If the second render is named "Spot 1A," then the file will be correct.  The comp will also render correctly if named the same, but put into a different folder than the first.

While I now know how to avoid the problem, it's still is an annoyance when I render dozens of tagged spots, then have to go back and revised a few of them.  If this helps anyone with a diagnosis, let me know.

Thanks,

-Doug

• 8. Re: "Phantom" renders
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

What program are you using to view the rendered files? Quicktime?

Also, when you re-render a comp with the same name to the same destination, does the date modified/created update even though your imagery isn't?

• 9. Re: "Phantom" renders
                          Doug Lyle Level 1

I am using QuickTime.  The date modified/created does update correctly, even though the render is wrong.

• 10. Re: "Phantom" renders
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Got an AJA card on your machine?  This smells like an AJA / AE issue. 

It's a definite bug, AJA's working on a fix, it's not ready yet, so for the time being, remove Any AJA drivers related to AE from your machine.  Then try it again.

• 11. Re: "Phantom" renders
                              Doug Lyle Level 1

No AJA card, I'm using a Blackmagic Multibridge Pro 2 with Decklink 7.3.2.  I searched for extraneous AJA drivers just in case, but found none.

I had thought that maybe QT or the OS had a bug, but when I export QTs out of Final Cut I have no problem.

• 12. Re: "Phantom" renders
                                Doug Lyle Level 1

It been a while but I think I've narrowed down the suspects on this problem.  I read that AE has changed the way QTs are made due to the 32bit/64bit difference in the two programs.  If I create a file, then trash it, close out QT, empty the trash, then render out a new file with the same name, QT will play the correct file.  If I don't go through that process QT apparently keeps a "link" to the file that was trashed and plays the old file.  In fact, I can watch the wrong file play in QT after a double click, and at the same time watch the correct file play in the info (comm+i) window.  This indicates it may be a QT issue.

I would have thought this would be a bug that more folks would have encountered, but the four other people working here haven't had a problem with their systems.

• 13. Re: "Phantom" renders
                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

rappahannock wrote:

This indicates it may be a QT issue.

I would have thought this would be a bug that more folks would have encountered, but the four other people working here haven't had a problem with their systems.

It may be the version of QT you run. Have you seen this?

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-errors-with-after-eff ects.html

• 14. Re: "Phantom" renders
                                    Doug Lyle Level 1

I read the attached link and trashed the permissions, but to no avail.  I'm using the latest QT version, 7.6.6.  The mystery remains...