7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 11:45 AM by Jerry62712

Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3

Jerry62712 Level 1

In Flash Builder (FB4), how do I import a java editor to the underlying Eclipse?  I assume it is Help - Install New Software.  I'm using Helios build 20100617-1415 with the Eclipse/FB4 plugin?

• 1. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
          Devtron Level 3

does the java editor have a URL for Eclipse to use?

• 2. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
            Jerry62712 Level 1

No idea.  I'm not sure how to add a java editor (plugin) to Flash Builder.

• 3. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
              Devtron Level 3

You add it with a URL, just as you described.

What is your need to add a "java editor" to FB4/Eclipse?

Either you are just making this up or someone is telling you that you need to perform this? If so, they need to provide you with the URL to get the java editor into Eclipse.

For example, if you put the URL http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x into "HELP-->Install New Software-->WORK WITH:" you will see the options load to install or update Subclipse.

You really need a URL to add anything into the IDE.

• 4. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
                Jerry62712 Level 1

The consulting company uses Flex, LiveCycle and java (Fast4J & native java) for our new system.  They are using Eclipse with the Flash Builder plugin so they can have one development tool to do the Flex and java work.  I was wondering if the reverse could happen.  a java development tool added to Flash Builder (FB4) thus having both tools in one package.

As their configuration allows ClearCase to be used and that seems to be a requirement, if I can't get FB4 (separate question in the forum) to work with ClearCase then I have no choice but to use the Eclipse w/Flex plugin.  But incase it can be used, I was wondering how to add java to the FB4 program.

Sorry if it is confusing.  I work with it and it is confusing to me.  I'd use FB4 (if ClearCase works with it) and RAD for the java stuff if it were up to me.

• 5. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
                  Devtron Level 3

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. That makes sense.

I have used ClearCase before. Not much of a fan, but I understand you're need to integrate with it. I am only 3-4 months into my FLEX career, so I have little experience integrating the FB4 IDE.

I googled around and saw that there is a ClearCase plugin for FB4. Maybe this can help you get into the right direction there?

http://flex.gunua.com/?p=122

Not sure about the Java Editor either. ECLIPSE is completely new for me. I am a .NET programmer and Java IDEs are rather foreign to me. This whole Eclipse/FB4 took a while for me to understand and get used to.

I suppose you would need to find a java editor you want to use. I cant help you there. But if and when you want to integerate it with FB4, the options are in the HELP menu.

I wish I could help you out more but my knowledge is limited in this area. I'll do what I can and you can scream at me if it helps

• 6. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
                    Jerry62712 Level 1

Doing a google search found lots of sites.  Going to them (I only did about 12) always ended up in a non-working site without ever having found a downloadable file to work with.  Sigh.

• 7. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions #3
                      Devtron Level 3

that sounds about right for anything FLEX related....