7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 8:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Configure Mouse

thunderclap82 Level 1

Right now, the mouse wheel when scrolled up and down move the timeline left and right.  This is backwards in my mind.  Is there a way to configure it so it scrolls up and down in the timeline?

• 1. Re: Configure Mouse
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Not in Premiere. You might find a third-party utility that would do this, or perhaps in your mouse drivers, but it would likely be a system-wide change, then.

Make a feature request for this, if you please: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Configure Mouse
            shooternz Level 6

Place your cursor over the Source or Program Monitor and the Scroll Wheel will hopefully do what you want of it.

• 3. Re: Configure Mouse
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, heh Read that wrong I thought you meant that you felt that up = left and down = right was backwards. Mea culpa... but Craig set you on the right track.

Side bar: this has been a popular question as of late. I guess I don't see the advantage of this, but to each their own. I routinely work with 8-10 layers of video and am rarely scrolling up and down, but then again I usually make my tracks pretty small. I'd still suggest making a feature request, but if up/down scrolling breaks left/right scrolling, I'd be an unhappy camper

• 4. Re: Configure Mouse
                shooternz Level 6

I also am happy with the way left / right and up /down scrolling works in the timeline...so dont break it.

• 5. Re: Configure Mouse
                  thunderclap82 Level 1

Wow.  It just seems like a huge oversight on Adobe's part.  Every other NLE I've used down the track listing in the timeline instead of across.  This is also true for every single window in Windows or OS X, every browser, etc.  It seems really moronic to have a timeline scroll left and right instead of up and down when you scroll the mouse's wheel.

Sorry... just venting a bit because it just slows me down.

• 6. Re: Configure Mouse
                    shooternz Level 6

Go to the bar on the right side of the Time line and scroll up and down to your hearts content.

I guess in other editors you used  Linear means Vertical.

In Premiere Linear is horizontal ...ie. aligned with the footage one is editing and the way time works.

Seems logical to me because I  edit along the footage from head to tail.

I guess its what you get used to.

• 7. Re: Configure Mouse
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to agree with the previous post.  Every NLE I've ever used scrolls left/right.  (Media Composer, Media 100, Premiere, Premiere Pro, Pinnacle)  That, to me, is the more intuitive use of the scroll wheel.

In After Effects, which is more of a 'vertical' editor, the default is to scroll vertically.  It makes sense, but I do often find myself trying to move along the timeline by rolling the wheel.